Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Brisbane Buses for children only?

Brisbane Buses for children only?

Old Feb 24th 2011, 12:04 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brisbane Buses for children only?

Anyone else encountered this yet?
===================================

ADULT passengers are being asked to get off crowded buses to make room for children.....The Rail Bus and Tram Union has confirmed drivers have had to ask people to get off packed buses in particular on route 66, because under Translink policy they are not allowed to leave children alone at bus stops.
The policy has created some tense situations for drivers and passengers, and the union is seeking a review or more services to be put on to cope with demand.

-------------------------------------

So the policy is allegedly that when children will be left alone at bus stops, drivers will ask adults to get off so the children can get on.

While waiting for a 333 today (not on the route to the Gabba that is supposedly the worst) - the first one had NO-ONE standing on it, one child at the stop (age unknown but he was taller and larger than me!) and 4 adults at the stop. Driver refused admission to everyone except the kid.
Second 333 - half a dozen people standing, two more kids at the stop by then (plus me and other 3 adults still waiting). Driver allowed kids on. Then opened the back doors to allow four people to get off and drove away! Those getting off were not impressed that he hadn't let them off in the first place, so he hadn't thrown them off for the kids.
Third 333 then refused to pickn up ANYONE - he said it was during "school run hours" so wasn't picking up adults!

I ended up on a 77, so new no-one knows where they stop, hence the kids don't use them So thats 40 minutes waiting for a bus on a route where they should run every 10 minutes, god knows what the rush hour is like.
I can see the point of not leaving small kids on their own in isolated areas, but this is just crazy, especially when the buses aren't even full.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane Buses for children only?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Anyone else encountered this yet?
===================================

ADULT passengers are being asked to get off crowded buses to make room for children.....The Rail Bus and Tram Union has confirmed drivers have had to ask people to get off packed buses in particular on route 66, because under Translink policy they are not allowed to leave children alone at bus stops.
The policy has created some tense situations for drivers and passengers, and the union is seeking a review or more services to be put on to cope with demand.

-------------------------------------

So the policy is allegedly that when children will be left alone at bus stops, drivers will ask adults to get off so the children can get on.

While waiting for a 333 today (not on the route to the Gabba that is supposedly the worst) - the first one had NO-ONE standing on it, one child at the stop (age unknown but he was taller and larger than me!) and 4 adults at the stop. Driver refused admission to everyone except the kid.
Second 333 - half a dozen people standing, two more kids at the stop by then (plus me and other 3 adults still waiting). Driver allowed kids on. Then opened the back doors to allow four people to get off and drove away! Those getting off were not impressed that he hadn't let them off in the first place, so he hadn't thrown them off for the kids.
Third 333 then refused to pickn up ANYONE - he said it was during "school run hours" so wasn't picking up adults!

I ended up on a 77, so new no-one knows where they stop, hence the kids don't use them So thats 40 minutes waiting for a bus on a route where they should run every 10 minutes, god knows what the rush hour is like.
I can see the point of not leaving small kids on their own in isolated areas, but this is just crazy, especially when the buses aren't even full.
Two words - Daniel Morcombe.........
Old Feb 24th 2011, 12:43 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Two words - Daniel Morcombe.........
Well that what they are saying in the article I linked to. But I don't see why adults - who have already paid for their travel (Go cards) and have stood at a bus stop for over half an hour, are refused entry onto buses which aren't full. Like I said, I don't agree with leaving kids stood by the side of a road in the middle of nowhere - but at busy bus stops, in the city? We all know what commuter buses are like, they pack them to the gills. Last week I was using buses in Brisbane so full they could hardly close the doors. But now? we are told "not taking you, get a taxi" as the buses sail past half empty? Where's the common sense option?

And I have to say that the kid stood beside me today was far less likely to get attacked than I was - in fact his whole attitude made ME feel intimidated - yet I'm the one who is now going to have to get taxis to work each night because I can't rely on being able to get on a bus.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Well that what they are saying in the article I linked to. But I don't see why adults - who have already paid for their travel (Go cards) and have stood at a bus stop for over half an hour, are refused entry onto buses which aren't full. Like I said, I don't agree with leaving kids stood by the side of a road in the middle of nowhere - but at busy bus stops, in the city? We all know what commuter buses are like, they pack them to the gills. Last week I was using buses in Brisbane so full they could hardly close the doors. But now? we are told "not taking you, get a taxi" as the buses sail past half empty? Where's the common sense option?

And I have to say that the kid stood beside me today was far less likely to get attacked than I was - in fact his whole attitude made ME feel intimidated - yet I'm the one who is now going to have to get taxis to work each night because I can't rely on being able to get on a bus.
You would think that most of the private schools (which are the schools in the city) would have their own buses. Has it changed in the last month or two with the reduced ferry and citycats? I guess they're really caught between a rock and a hard place - they probably know how many kids get on the bus and need to leave room for them, but the BCC should put on more buses if they're too full to take everyone.

My kids won't ever catch the school bus, I drive them, I'm too untrusting of everyone, including bus drivers.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 1:05 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Time to pick up a second hand school uniform me thinks,thanks for the heads up Polly
Old Feb 24th 2011, 1:08 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
Time to pick up a second hand school uniform me thinks,thanks for the heads up Polly
You can have my Go card too, I can't find a bus to use it on anymore

That "schoolkid" who was at the stop today was probably 5-6 inches taller than you
Old Feb 24th 2011, 1:12 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

You can have my Go card too, I can't find a bus to use it on anymore

That "schoolkid" who was at the stop today was probably 5-6 inches taller than you
They are all taller than me,def sorted for a seat then

Now where did i put my bob the builder lunchbox.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 1:17 pm
Home and Happy

They are all taller than me,def sorted for a seat then

Now where did i put my bob the builder lunchbox.
Maybe your girlfriend borrowed it to take to school today?
Old Feb 24th 2011, 1:20 pm
FREE TIBET

Maybe your girlfriend borrowed it to take to school today?
She loves my lunchbox
Old Feb 24th 2011, 1:24 pm
Home and Happy

She loves my lunchbox
Hope she doesn't eat too much from it between meals, could ruin her appetite for dinner, I know what these kids are like
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have some pretty little lime green tunics sitting in the wardrobe that would probably fit you.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 5:15 am
Home and Happy

I have some pretty little lime green tunics sitting in the wardrobe that would probably fit you.
Now THAT I'd love to see!
Old Feb 25th 2011, 5:56 am
FREE TIBET

Oh i like the sound of that,will you plait me hair n all
Old Feb 25th 2011, 5:58 am
Home and Happy

Oh i like the sound of that,will you plait me hair n all
My god, how long is it now? I won't recognise you!!

Have you booked your flight ticket as an "ünaccompanied minor"?
Old Feb 25th 2011, 8:00 am
FREE TIBET

My god, how long is it now? I won't recognise you!!

Have you booked your flight ticket as an "ünaccompanied minor"?
Got me a basinet up the front and a swedish au pair to accompany me on the flight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.