British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Brisbane Buses for children only? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/brisbane-buses-children-only-706749/)

Pollyana Feb 24th 2011 12:04 pm

Brisbane Buses for children only?

Anyone else encountered this yet?
===================================

ADULT passengers are being asked to get off crowded buses to make room for children.....The Rail Bus and Tram Union has confirmed drivers have had to ask people to get off packed buses in particular on route 66, because under Translink policy they are not allowed to leave children alone at bus stops.
The policy has created some tense situations for drivers and passengers, and the union is seeking a review or more services to be put on to cope with demand.

-------------------------------------

So the policy is allegedly that when children will be left alone at bus stops, drivers will ask adults to get off so the children can get on.

While waiting for a 333 today (not on the route to the Gabba that is supposedly the worst) - the first one had NO-ONE standing on it, one child at the stop (age unknown but he was taller and larger than me!) and 4 adults at the stop. Driver refused admission to everyone except the kid.
Second 333 - half a dozen people standing, two more kids at the stop by then (plus me and other 3 adults still waiting). Driver allowed kids on. Then opened the back doors to allow four people to get off and drove away! Those getting off were not impressed that he hadn't let them off in the first place, so he hadn't thrown them off for the kids.
Third 333 then refused to pickn up ANYONE - he said it was during "school run hours" so wasn't picking up adults!

I ended up on a 77, so new no-one knows where they stop, hence the kids don't use them :rolleyes: So thats 40 minutes waiting for a bus on a route where they should run every 10 minutes, god knows what the rush hour is like.
I can see the point of not leaving small kids on their own in isolated areas, but this is just crazy, especially when the buses aren't even full.

Kim67 Feb 24th 2011 12:29 pm

Re: Brisbane Buses for children only?

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9198709)
Anyone else encountered this yet?
===================================

ADULT passengers are being asked to get off crowded buses to make room for children.....The Rail Bus and Tram Union has confirmed drivers have had to ask people to get off packed buses in particular on route 66, because under Translink policy they are not allowed to leave children alone at bus stops.
The policy has created some tense situations for drivers and passengers, and the union is seeking a review or more services to be put on to cope with demand.

-------------------------------------

So the policy is allegedly that when children will be left alone at bus stops, drivers will ask adults to get off so the children can get on.

While waiting for a 333 today (not on the route to the Gabba that is supposedly the worst) - the first one had NO-ONE standing on it, one child at the stop (age unknown but he was taller and larger than me!) and 4 adults at the stop. Driver refused admission to everyone except the kid.
Second 333 - half a dozen people standing, two more kids at the stop by then (plus me and other 3 adults still waiting). Driver allowed kids on. Then opened the back doors to allow four people to get off and drove away! Those getting off were not impressed that he hadn't let them off in the first place, so he hadn't thrown them off for the kids.
Third 333 then refused to pickn up ANYONE - he said it was during "school run hours" so wasn't picking up adults!

I ended up on a 77, so new no-one knows where they stop, hence the kids don't use them :rolleyes: So thats 40 minutes waiting for a bus on a route where they should run every 10 minutes, god knows what the rush hour is like.
I can see the point of not leaving small kids on their own in isolated areas, but this is just crazy, especially when the buses aren't even full.

Two words - Daniel Morcombe.........

Pollyana Feb 24th 2011 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 9198753)

Well that what they are saying in the article I linked to. But I don't see why adults - who have already paid for their travel (Go cards) and have stood at a bus stop for over half an hour, are refused entry onto buses which aren't full. Like I said, I don't agree with leaving kids stood by the side of a road in the middle of nowhere - but at busy bus stops, in the city? We all know what commuter buses are like, they pack them to the gills. Last week I was using buses in Brisbane so full they could hardly close the doors. But now? we are told "not taking you, get a taxi" as the buses sail past half empty? Where's the common sense option?

And I have to say that the kid stood beside me today was far less likely to get attacked than I was - in fact his whole attitude made ME feel intimidated - yet I'm the one who is now going to have to get taxis to work each night because I can't rely on being able to get on a bus.

Kim67 Feb 24th 2011 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9198782)
Well that what they are saying in the article I linked to. But I don't see why adults - who have already paid for their travel (Go cards) and have stood at a bus stop for over half an hour, are refused entry onto buses which aren't full. Like I said, I don't agree with leaving kids stood by the side of a road in the middle of nowhere - but at busy bus stops, in the city? We all know what commuter buses are like, they pack them to the gills. Last week I was using buses in Brisbane so full they could hardly close the doors. But now? we are told "not taking you, get a taxi" as the buses sail past half empty? Where's the common sense option?

And I have to say that the kid stood beside me today was far less likely to get attacked than I was - in fact his whole attitude made ME feel intimidated - yet I'm the one who is now going to have to get taxis to work each night because I can't rely on being able to get on a bus.

You would think that most of the private schools (which are the schools in the city) would have their own buses. Has it changed in the last month or two with the reduced ferry and citycats? I guess they're really caught between a rock and a hard place - they probably know how many kids get on the bus and need to leave room for them, but the BCC should put on more buses if they're too full to take everyone.

My kids won't ever catch the school bus, I drive them, I'm too untrusting of everyone, including bus drivers.

Bernieboy Feb 24th 2011 1:05 pm

Time to pick up a second hand school uniform me thinks,thanks for the heads up Polly:D

Pollyana Feb 24th 2011 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly (Post 9198817)
Time to pick up a second hand school uniform me thinks,thanks for the heads up Polly:D

You can have my Go card too, I can't find a bus to use it on anymore :rolleyes:

That "schoolkid" who was at the stop today was probably 5-6 inches taller than you :blink:

Bernieboy Feb 24th 2011 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9198824)
You can have my Go card too, I can't find a bus to use it on anymore :rolleyes:

That "schoolkid" who was at the stop today was probably 5-6 inches taller than you :blink:

They are all taller than me,def sorted for a seat then:p

Now where did i put my bob the builder lunchbox.

Pollyana Feb 24th 2011 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly (Post 9198831)
They are all taller than me,def sorted for a seat then:p

Now where did i put my bob the builder lunchbox.

Maybe your girlfriend borrowed it to take to school today? :p

Bernieboy Feb 24th 2011 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9198839)
Maybe your girlfriend borrowed it to take to school today? :p

She loves my lunchbox;)

Pollyana Feb 24th 2011 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly (Post 9198844)
She loves my lunchbox;)

:rolleyes: Hope she doesn't eat too much from it between meals, could ruin her appetite for dinner, I know what these kids are like :p

Kim67 Feb 24th 2011 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly (Post 9198817)

I have some pretty little lime green tunics sitting in the wardrobe that would probably fit you.

Pollyana Feb 25th 2011 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 9200003)
I have some pretty little lime green tunics sitting in the wardrobe that would probably fit you.

Now THAT I'd love to see!

Bernieboy Feb 25th 2011 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 9200003)

Oh i like the sound of that,will you plait me hair n all:thumbsup:

Pollyana Feb 25th 2011 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly (Post 9200433)
Oh i like the sound of that,will you plait me hair n all:thumbsup:

My god, how long is it now? :eek: I won't recognise you!!

Have you booked your flight ticket as an "ünaccompanied minor"? :sneaky:

Bernieboy Feb 25th 2011 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9200435)
My god, how long is it now? :eek: I won't recognise you!!

Have you booked your flight ticket as an "ünaccompanied minor"? :sneaky:

Got me a basinet up the front and a swedish au pair to accompany me on the flight:thumbup:

Pollyana Feb 25th 2011 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly (Post 9200579)
Got me a basinet up the front and a swedish au pair to accompany me on the flight:thumbup:

OK, well sorted :thumbup:
I'll hire a push-chair to collect you at arrivals :lol:

Bernieboy Feb 25th 2011 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9200581)
OK, well sorted :thumbup:
I'll hire a push-chair to collect you at arrivals :lol:

You might want to make that a shopping trolley:beer::beer:

Pollyana Feb 25th 2011 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly (Post 9200625)
You might want to make that a shopping trolley:beer::beer:

Pushchairs fold up easier to go in taxis :lol: Are we gonna start in the bar where we left off last time? :beer: :sneaky:

Bernieboy Feb 25th 2011 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9200628)
Pushchairs fold up easier to go in taxis :lol: Are we gonna start in the bar where we left off last time? :beer: :sneaky:

No.

Pollyana Feb 25th 2011 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly (Post 9200636)
No.

Oh that's right, herbal tea only this time isn't it........ :p

rabsody Feb 25th 2011 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 9198799)
My kids won't ever catch the school bus, I drive them, I'm too untrusting of everyone, including bus drivers.

No disrespect Kim, but this is half of what causes the problems. I catch the bus every day and it's an utter nightmare. Takes me up to an hour and a half to travel 6 miles. If parents allowed their kids to catch the bus (and I mean high school age, not primary) instead of clogging up the roads, the whole system would work a lot better. You only have to see what the traffic is like in holidays ... it's like a breath of fresh air.

And yes, I have two kids - 11 and 14 - one buses and one walks by herself.

Pollyana Feb 25th 2011 11:04 am

Originally Posted by rabsody (Post 9200794)
No disrespect Kim, but this is half of what causes the problems. I catch the bus every day and it's an utter nightmare. Takes me up to an hour and a half to travel 6 miles. If parents allowed their kids to catch the bus (and I mean high school age, not primary) instead of clogging up the roads, the whole system would work a lot better. You only have to see what the traffic is like in holidays ... it's like a breath of fresh air.

That's true. If more kids used buses all the time the companies would be more likely to put more buses on too. Rush-hour travel in school holidays is so much easier :)
I'm resigned to this new policy now. Couldn't get on a bus this afternoon at 4pm at all in Windsor unless you were in school uniform. So instead of a $3 trip to work I'm now looking at a $12-$20 trip, just to be sure I can get there. Coming home in the morning, I'm just resigned to a very long wait. OK for those who can vary their start and finish times, we aren't all so lucky.

DeadVim Feb 25th 2011 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 9198753)

Ernie Wise.

scottishcelts Feb 25th 2011 11:29 am

How about just transporting all kids to an island and letting them all fend for themselves. End of. :rolleyes:

Pollyana Feb 25th 2011 11:30 am

Originally Posted by scottishcelts (Post 9200902)
How about just transporting all kids to an island and letting them all fend for themselves. End of. :rolleyes:

Now THAT sounds good to me :thumbsup:

DeadVim Feb 25th 2011 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9200905)
Now THAT sounds good to me :thumbsup:

Is that not how Tasmania was founded?!

It would explain Ponting's mental state ...

Kim67 Feb 25th 2011 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by rabsody (Post 9200794)

It is half the traffic problem. But catching the school bus just doesn't fit with a lot of people's schedules. Both my husband and I work from home so we fit our work around the school and activity runs. We run a pretty tight ship and there are band and dance commitments a few mornings a week for an hour before school starts and we are at the dance studio six days a week, some days running between the studio at Woolloongabba and the studio in Seven Hills (one day I go to Woolloongabba, back to Seven Hills, then back to Woolloongabba and then back to Seven Hills in a two hour period), so it makes it impossible for kids like mine to catch the bus.

rabsody Feb 25th 2011 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 9201006)
It is half the traffic problem. But catching the school bus just doesn't fit with a lot of people's schedules. Both my husband and I work from home so we fit our work around the school and activity runs. We run a pretty tight ship and there are band and dance commitments a few mornings a week for an hour before school starts and we are at the dance studio six days a week, some days running between the studio at Woolloongabba and the studio in Seven Hills (one day I go to Woolloongabba, back to Seven Hills, then back to Woolloongabba and then back to Seven Hills in a two hour period), so it makes it impossible for kids like mine to catch the bus.

No, I totally understand Kim. I am lucky enough to have my ex mother in law who can ferry the kids to their activities during the week (only one day a week, i'm exhausted just looking at your schedule!) and they do the rest on the weekend. There's also a massive amount of cars (the majority for sure) with only one person in them although I appreciate there are a lot of people, like tradies and reps, who need their car throughout the day.

It's just incredibly frustrating when a 6 mile journey takes an hour to an hour and a half every day. I want to move but I can't afford the $800k to buy a three bed townhouse/unit a few kms closer in.

I don't know what the answer is, but I do believe decent public transport must be the priority for a city to flow well. Then those who don't actually need to drive but don't want to take public transort (which, let's face it, I can't blame them it's pretty shitty) can free up the roads a bit.

Otherwise, the quality of life considerably deteriorates for a lot of people. :thumbdown:

jad n rich Feb 25th 2011 11:08 pm

Up to recently I was a fairly regular user of the 333 bus, it was the 333 or traffic hell to the city, devil or deep blue sea really:lol: Anyone doing that journey in peak has my sympathy.

What amazed me is the intention to double the fares in the next 2 years, the sign was right next to a poster stating how one bus takes 30 cars off the road:rolleyes:

Recent peak journeys from RCH herston to aspley take over an hour:eek:

Pollyana Feb 28th 2011 5:42 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 9202364)
Up to recently I was a fairly regular user of the 333 bus, it was the 333 or traffic hell to the city, devil or deep blue sea really:lol: Anyone doing that journey in peak has my sympathy.

What amazed me is the intention to double the fares in the next 2 years, the sign was right next to a poster stating how one bus takes 30 cars off the road:rolleyes:

Recent peak journeys from RCH herston to aspley take over an hour:eek:

Driver on the 333 at 3.30pm today: "Sorry you can't get on, school children only till 4pm"
Cross Witch: "But you are half empty and I'm only going one stop - Windsor-Lutwyche"
Driver "There might be children somewhere in between that want to flag me down and get on. You'll have to wait till 4pm."

Guess who will be spending the first part of her shift writing complaint letters to Brisbane Buses :mad: :curse: :mad: :curse:

fish.01 Feb 28th 2011 6:09 am

Originally Posted by rabsody (Post 9202302)
It's just incredibly frustrating when a 6 mile journey takes an hour to an hour and a half every day. I want to move but I can't afford the $800k to buy a three bed townhouse/unit a few kms closer in.

Slight exaggeration ;)

Pollyana Feb 28th 2011 6:13 am

Originally Posted by fish.01 (Post 9206810)
Slight exaggeration ;)

Dunno, its taking me pretty close to that at present to do 2-3 miles due to this poxy bus policy!

fish.01 Feb 28th 2011 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9206819)
Dunno, its taking me pretty close to that at present to do 2-3 miles due to this poxy bus policy!

Talking about the need to spend $800,000 and just getting a townhouse a few kms closer. :)

BTW, saw another article that day after yours where the bus drivers were complaining about the policy they had to enforce on the 333 route. Seems they don't like it either.

Pollyana Feb 28th 2011 7:50 am

Originally Posted by fish.01 (Post 9206874)
Talking about the need to spend $800,000 and just getting a townhouse a few kms closer. :)

BTW, saw another article that day after yours where the bus drivers were complaining about the policy they had to enforce on the 333 route. Seems they don't like it either.

I can imagine that they don't enjoy it, if only because of the abuse. Daft thing is - 5.45 tonight, 333 from Lutwyche to Kedron, packed to the gills, real sardine job, driver said to me, that she could do what she liked cos it was after 4pm!!!

Bernieboy Feb 28th 2011 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9206819)

Have you forgotten BB's fave mantra, WALK !!!:sneaky:

Pollyana Feb 28th 2011 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly (Post 9206925)
Have you forgotten BB's fave mantra, WALK !!!:sneaky:

Yes sir, sorry sir, had too much stuff to take to the Post office and to bring into work :rolleyes: and it was just tooooooo hot. I walked home this morning, and I'll walk home tomorrow :p
Do I have to do a penance? :(

Bernieboy Feb 28th 2011 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9206938)
Yes sir, sorry sir, had too much stuff to take to the Post office and to bring into work :rolleyes: and it was just tooooooo hot. I walked home this morning, and I'll walk home tomorrow :p
Do I have to do a penance? :(

Yes,a whole day without alcohol:D

Pollyana Feb 28th 2011 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly (Post 9207003)
Yes,a whole day without alcohol:D

I'll do tomorrow - extended shifts at both ends of the day and I'll be asleep in between :rofl:

rabsody Feb 28th 2011 11:34 am

Originally Posted by fish.01 (Post 9206874)

Oh really? I'm so pleased for you that you seem to be an expert in the area that i live in. Here you go:

3 bed unit:
http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...wong-107208957

3 bed unit:
http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...inga-107205413

3 bed townhouse:
http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...inga-107197721

These are not top of the range, they are properties that are reasonably modern with enough room to fit a mother and two teenage daughters and are all in the $750+ bracket.

So the exaggeration is where?????

Fool.

fish.01 Feb 28th 2011 11:40 am

I am a fool for thinking you would take it in the light hearted manner it was intended....my apologies for upsetting you even if it was unintentional.

My point was not that there are no 800,000 3 bed town houses...as you and I both know you could spend many millions, specially those with city and river views...just the implication that 3bed townhouses for $800,000 are what most would have to look at to live closer in...I am a bit of an expert as it happens as I have spent 1 year solid searching in the area almost every single weekend to the point of insanity ;)

I have been in many beautiful large $800,000 houses in that area. I was also in a beautiful, large 3 bedroom townhouse last w/e 2k from the city priced at $650,000. It was only that much due to the quality of the fittings. I think an $800,000 townhouse is at the expensive end and there are many large houses in that range and cheaper townhouses. Just saying for those who might seriously be looking at it as an option.

BTW, I agree about the traffic, the rule I've always heard is not to buy past Indooroopilly to avoid the worst Moggill Rd traffic.