British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Bose sounddock 10 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/bose-sounddock-10-a-808337/)

Broad Shoulders Sep 7th 2013 9:01 pm

Re: Bose sounddock 10

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 10889940)
how have I been ripped off if I've got the system I wanted, forgive me for saying this but it's quite arrogant to tell people that what they like is shit. Perhaps it comes down to taste in music, it punches out everything from Audioslave to Mozart to my liking, and Damien Marley is done proud. We'll have to agree to disagree on this, and you still aint said what your ultimate system is

You put a review of a product up. I countered this, having also auditioned this along with other comparable products, just like a few others on here who also agree with my line of thought. If my viewpoint is arrogant, then so be it. I think you are just being a little bit precious to be honest. There are enough people around the world to have experienced Bose gear and I can tell you that there are more detractors than there are fans. That has to be for a reason.

Anyway, your question. At the moment, my system is:

Cyrus CD-8 CD Player (which I'd like to upgrade to a Sony SACD player soon)
Cyrus AV-8 Pre-amp (which I want to upgrade, but not sure what to yet, haven't heard anything good enough to take its place yet)
2 x Cyrus Monoblock Power Amps
2 x Cyrus X-Power Blocks
2 x B&W 604S3 Speakers

scrubbedexpat098 Sep 8th 2013 12:09 am

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders (Post 10890563)
You put a review of a product up. I countered this, having also auditioned this along with other comparable products, just like a few others on here who also agree with my line of thought. If my viewpoint is arrogant, then so be it. I think you are just being a little bit precious to be honest. There are enough people around the world to have experienced Bose gear and I can tell you that there are more detractors than there are fans. That has to be for a reason.

Anyway, your question. At the moment, my system is:

Cyrus CD-8 CD Player (which I'd like to upgrade to a Sony SACD player soon)
Cyrus AV-8 Pre-amp (which I want to upgrade, but not sure what to yet, haven't heard anything good enough to take its place yet)
2 x Cyrus Monoblock Power Amps
2 x Cyrus X-Power Blocks
2 x B&W 604S3 Speakers

Now then, precious I aint, I was trying to get over the point that just because you think it's crap doesn't make it so. The arrogance comes into it when you state it as a fact rather than an opinion. If I said the above system shows a lack of imagination and a hard on for Cyrus, you wouldn't listen to a word of it because it's taylored by you for you, and rightly so.

No record deck, are you serious?

Broad Shoulders Sep 8th 2013 12:47 am

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 10890744)
Now then, precious I aint, I was trying to get over the point that just because you think it's crap doesn't make it so. The arrogance comes into it when you state it as a fact rather than an opinion. If I said the above system shows a lack of imagination and a hard on for Cyrus, you wouldn't listen to a word of it because it's taylored by you for you, and rightly so.

No record deck, are you serious?

Records are good for classical only IMO.

I never stated it as fact, I even said that audio is a highly subjective subject, which you obviously chose to ignore.

The only bit I questioned was whether you had truly auditioned any other kit than Bose, because I find it very hard to believe people would prefer anything by Bose over any other comparable Hi-Fi manufacturer.

scrubbedexpat098 Sep 8th 2013 1:39 am

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders (Post 10890772)
Records are good for classical only IMO.

I never stated it as fact, I even said that audio is a highly subjective subject, which you obviously chose to ignore.

The only bit I questioned was whether you had truly auditioned any other kit than Bose, because I find it very hard to believe people would prefer anything by Bose over any other comparable Hi-Fi manufacturer.

Your only mention of subjectivity was in agreement with what I said, I'd read back your posts about 'it's cheap sounding crap' and the like and see whether it comes accross as a statement or an opinion. As I've said just about on every one of my posts, it suits my requirements and my musical tastes, which you're choosing to ignore.

If you seriously had the love of good quality music you purport to, you'd be building your stereo system around a quality record deck. Now is that an opinion or fact?

Broad Shoulders Sep 8th 2013 2:35 am

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 10890821)
Your only mention of subjectivity was in agreement with what I said, I'd read back your posts about 'it's cheap sounding crap' and the like and see whether it comes accross as a statement or an opinion. As I've said just about on every one of my posts, it suits my requirements and my musical tastes, which you're choosing to ignore.

If you seriously had the love of good quality music you purport to, you'd be building your stereo system around a quality record deck. Now is that an opinion or fact?

so your system is built around LPs then is it?

scrubbedexpat098 Sep 8th 2013 2:40 am

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders (Post 10890857)
so your system is built around LPs then is it?

not the one you're slagging off no

Broad Shoulders Sep 8th 2013 2:42 am

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 10890860)
not the one you're slagging off no

...obviously, because it ain't built around quality, is it?

scrubbedexpat098 Sep 8th 2013 3:13 am

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders (Post 10890864)
...obviously, because it ain't built around quality, is it?

For the umpteenth time, the sounddock IS quality IMO and very well suited to what I want it for.

My main system is vastly different, because I want it for a different application, why are you finding this so hard to understand?

DeadVim Sep 9th 2013 1:49 am

My 2000 Nissan Pulsar is missing two speakers which means some music is unlistenable. But it does have a stereo with a USB stick so I can listen to lots of badly compressed music out of the remaining 2 speakers, one of which distorts badly with lots of bass.

I guess I am not target market. ;)

scrubbedexpat098 Sep 9th 2013 4:58 am

Right then shoulder boy, you pricked my ears with your intense bemoaning of the bose and love of the zepplin, so much so that I went and bought one (previous comparisons carried out on defferent premises)

I had them side by side and played the following

Tory Amos - cornflake girl
Gregory Isaacs - night nurse
Audioslave - Cochise
Laura Fygi - I will wait for you
Tool - Schism
Stanley Clark - If only this bass could talk

I'll grant you that in the same place with the same tunes I did have an improved opinion of the Zepplin, however gimicky it looks

However, the bose simply pleases my ears more, and the Zepplin's gone back as per agreement with the dealer. Sorry if my choice offends but I thought the Bose was the superior of the two, by some way

scrubbedexpat098 Sep 9th 2013 5:06 am

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 10891965)
My 2000 Nissan Pulsar is missing two speakers which means some music is unlistenable. But it does have a stereo with a USB stick so I can listen to lots of badly compressed music out of the remaining 2 speakers, one of which distorts badly with lots of bass.

I guess I am not target market. ;)

the unlistenable stuff, was it Hearsay?

BadgeIsBack Sep 9th 2013 5:38 am

I used to have hi-fi seperates years ago, and the only thing that I've retained is the speakers - sitting in dust unused for 12 years - saved for a rainy day.

I rarely listen to music these days, after dealing with pre-school kids I just want peace and quiet, and headphones give me headaches after 30mins, always have done. I do listen to classic FM at the bedside late at night.

I'm a luddite when it comes to tech, I'm only interested in convenience.
My wife doesn't believe me when I tell her I'm no expert she assumes because I work in IT for my sins I must know. Not true! All we have is a DVD player with fat speakers...and the speakers wires came out of the back of most of the speakers years ago...and I never got around to fixing them - it's a bore. So most of the time we play a CD through the 2 main speakers near the 'telly' or use a laptop connected to a speaker.

One of the isssues I have with tech and the way media has all converged is the fact you have to admistrate everything - and housekeep all the files. And if its on one central box you need to keep backups. More work, it's like being at work - which I resent; and then the Missus assumes it all my responsibility.

Originally Posted by Bernieboy (Post 10888839)
I have my BOSE docking thingy 5 years now and it's still the dogs bollox,in fact it's the best thing i took away from my failed marriage lol.

:goodpost: We visited a country house and stayed there at Easter and their BOSE thing was great. Will get one eventually, maybe a cheaper version.

scrubbedexpat098 Sep 9th 2013 5:46 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 10892078)
I used to have hi-fi seperates years ago, and the only thing that I've retained is the speakers - sitting in dust unused for 12 years - saved for a rainy day.

I rarely listen to music these days, after dealing with pre-school kids I just want peace and quiet, and headphones give me headaches after 30mins, always have done. I do listen to classic FM at the bedside late at night.

I'm a luddite when it comes to tech, I'm only interested in convenience.
My wife doesn't believe me when I tell her I'm no expert she assumes because I work in IT for my sins I must know. Not true! All we have is a DVD player with fat speakers...and the speakers wires came out of the back of most of the speakers years ago...and I never got around to fixing them - it's a bore. So most of the time we play a CD through the 2 main speakers near the 'telly' or use a laptop connected to a speaker.

One of the isssues I have with tech and the way media has all converged is the fact you have to admistrate everything - and housekeep all the files. And if its on one central box you need to keep backups. More work, it's like being at work - which I resent; and then the Missus assumes it all my responsibility.

:goodpost: We visited a country house and stayed there at Easter and their BOSE thing was great. Will get one eventually, maybe a cheaper version.

I've got visions of 2 Betty Boothroid statues in your living room now. Kills me when kids come round, eye up the records and say 'what are they?'

spuddyo Sep 10th 2013 3:44 am

Different market, but in the pro-audio industry the common mantra is "no High's , No Lows, Must be Bose" and my other :D favourite JBL - Junk but LOUD.

scrubbedexpat098 Sep 10th 2013 6:55 am

Originally Posted by spuddyo (Post 10893607)
Different market, but in the pro-audio industry the common mantra is "no High's , No Lows, Must be Bose" and my other :D favourite JBL - Junk but LOUD.

want tin - buy lynn
want phony - buy sony
want village people - go round broadshoulders house (joke)

heard em all, you've got to go with makes your ears happy simple as, I was once too a purist, til I realised it's all a big con IMO. If it's a $100 system that you love or a $10,000 dollar system that has got to be respected I reckon