British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Bose sounddock 10 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/bose-sounddock-10-a-808337/)

scrubbedexpat098 Sep 5th 2013 10:56 pm

Bose sounddock 10

oh my word, tested out afew yesterday was mildly impressed with the Leowe one at $800, but then tried out the Bose. I'm a bit of a fan anyway but this blew me away, no way should it sound that good. If you got the spare dosh and you want a decent dock, do it.

ozzieeagle Sep 6th 2013 4:22 am

Re: Bose sounddock 10

I'm interested in where and how you would use it ?

A fair bit of dosh for playing compressed music I reckon personally.... Maybe I should go hear it before commenting further though.

They are my first thoughts though.

Usually there is something always better than Bose in the same price range... Yamaha would be where I would look for a comparison as a starter.

But maybe not.

Wonder how the Sonos compares, you get a lot more function with a Sonos system at the same price.

Dunno, but you've got my interest up.

Currently I play Itunes on my HTPC and play it through a old sony system, which I always felt was adequate for compressed music. So where's your wanted item likely to go ?

My aspiration is for a valve system.... wont be getting one for quiet a while ..... Although I did notice that Samsung of all people do a dock with valves.

EvannTel Sep 6th 2013 4:41 am

Hmmmm

Prefer the B&W zeppelin personally and looks brilliant.

Then again that budget can get you nicely started with an amp and a couple f speakers.

scrubbedexpat098 Sep 6th 2013 5:00 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 10888217)
I'm interested in where and how you would use it ?

A fair bit of dosh for playing compressed music I reckon personally.... Maybe I should go hear it before commenting further though.

They are my first thoughts though.

Usually there is something always better than Bose in the same price range... Yamaha would be where I would look for a comparison as a starter.

But maybe not.

Wonder how the Sonos compares, you get a lot more function with a Sonos system at the same price.

Dunno, but you've got my interest up.

Currently I play Itunes on my HTPC and play it through a old sony system, which I always felt was adequate for compressed music. So where's your wanted item likely to go ?

My aspiration is for a valve system.... wont be getting one for quiet a while ..... Although I did notice that Samsung of all people do a dock with valves.

It's sitting on the bar in my pub right now and I'm more than pleased with it, it smashed the others in the price range, what really swung it for me was zero distortion and the depth of bass/clarity of treble. I'm totally with you on the valve amp though, but wouldn't use one for anything but my vinyl, a Lynn LP12 would have to go with it, although I've got a rega at the mo and it's pretty damned good.

I'm quite a Bose fan to be honest, got 4 now, and my personal view is that it knocks spots off my old separates system (Lynn, naim, and nakamichi) dunno whether my ears are ****ed now but I just love the sound, seems alot less forced IMO.

They sell them in Myers, and you can test it out, the much smaller series 2 was amazing for its size aswell, but I had to have the 10.

functionality is pretty dire, no radio/cd etc which the others had but it didn't put me off as most of my cd's are on my ipod now. Can't say whether you'd like it or not as everyone's ears are different but I would give it a go without a doubt.

It's wierd, I'm anal about my stereo equipment, but TV's, the cheaper the better as far as I'm concerned, would even go without one if the family would agree to it.

Let me know what you reckon if you find one, be interesting to hear what you think

LeeWillo Sep 6th 2013 5:02 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 10888217)

I've seen and heard that one it looks (sounds) good. I'm a bit dubious as to whether Samsung could make a good valve system though!

Not bad at $489 or something at JB Hifi.

Bernieboy Sep 6th 2013 1:41 pm

I have my BOSE docking thingy 5 years now and it's still the dogs bollox,in fact it's the best thing i took away from my failed marriage lol.

Broad Shoulders Sep 6th 2013 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by EvannTel (Post 10888223)
Hmmmm

Prefer the B&W zeppelin personally and looks brilliant.

Then again that budget can get you nicely started with an amp and a couple f speakers.

...agreed. Bose is over marketed cheap crap at a premium price and has been for decades now. They have lived off a reputation from many many moons ago that is simply not valid anymore. Bang & Olufsen are the same, although much better quality. But for the money, you can get MUCH better sounding gear from any number of true Hi-Fi manufacturers. The B&W Zeppelin is by far the best in this category, I had tested a few, but in the end decided against such an extravagant expense. You can buy some very very good streamers now. Cyrus do one that will just sync up with your computer's library.

I've been collecting Hi-Fi gear for about 20 years now and slowly getting to my ultimate system

ozzieeagle Sep 6th 2013 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders (Post 10889461)
...agreed. Bose is over marketed cheap crap at a premium price and has been for decades now. They have lived off a reputation from many many moons ago that is simply not valid anymore. Bang & Olufsen are the same, although much better quality. But for the money, you can get MUCH better sounding gear from any number of true Hi-Fi manufacturers. The B&W Zeppelin is by far the best in this category, I had tested a few, but in the end decided against such an extravagant expense. You can buy some very very good streamers now. Cyrus do one that will just sync up with your computer's library.

I've been collecting Hi-Fi gear for about 20 years now and slowly getting to my ultimate system

Thing is if your going to play compressed music via an Ipod etc.... Unless you've got it in wav format or something... then a Bose or BandW system is probably good enough. So I'm led to believe ?

scrubbedexpat098 Sep 6th 2013 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders (Post 10889461)

couldn't disagree more, the sound from a bose floats my boat but obviously not yours. It's most certainly not cheap crap old son. I personally don't have space for a noisy rugby ball in my home;) I am interested is this ultimate system of yours though, the thing about separates is that there are infinite combinations, no one combination is right it's what suits the user. never listen to reviews

Broad Shoulders Sep 7th 2013 5:59 am

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 10889498)
I am interested is this ultimate system of yours though, the thing about separates is that there are infinite combinations, no one combination is right it's what suits the user. never listen to reviews

I never believe reviews, as most have some sort of bias.

All of my beliefs in Hi-Fi are from auditioning. Another reason I don't like Bose, is Bose will only allow certain dealers to sell them. A friend of mine used to work for an authorised Bose dealer a few years ago, and a stipulation of their dealership was that no side-by-side auditioning (ie: comparing, which is a standard staple of the Hi-Fi enthusuast) was allowed between any Bose equipment and other branded components. I have heard enough Bose in my time to realise they are a marketing scam first and foremost. They sell a quality image of a product but in reality they are cheap sounding crap with better sounding results able to be achieved by components at a tenth of the price.

You are right though, that auditioning is highly subjective. But all I can ever think when it comes to Bose is that their fans simply haven't had their eyes opened to the range of quality options there are other than Bose.

(interesting reviews here http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...1214&term=Bose)

scrubbedexpat098 Sep 7th 2013 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders (Post 10889875)
I never believe reviews, as most have some sort of bias.

All of my beliefs in Hi-Fi are from auditioning. Another reason I don't like Bose, is Bose will only allow certain dealers to sell them. A friend of mine used to work for an authorised Bose dealer a few years ago, and a stipulation of their dealership was that no side-by-side auditioning (ie: comparing, which is a standard staple of the Hi-Fi enthusuast) was allowed between any Bose equipment and other branded components. I have heard enough Bose in my time to realise they are a marketing scam first and foremost. They sell a quality image of a product but in reality they are cheap sounding crap with better sounding results able to be achieved by components at a tenth of the price.

You are right though, that auditioning is highly subjective. But all I can ever think when it comes to Bose is that their fans simply haven't had their eyes opened to the range of quality options there are other than Bose.

(interesting reviews here http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...1214&term=Bose)

Thing is Bose seems to be the in thing to slag off at the moment, I'll generally buy what I think sounds the best and after some consideration I've gone for the Bose. I have a long history of expensive separate systems and I've kind of grown out of the snobbery of it. My eyes are wide open fella and cheap sounding crap they certainly aint, it suits my purposes and achieves what I want better than the others I tried.

Not buying what you don't want seems enough for most people, but you really hate these don't ya, were you gang raped in a bose store or something?:p

Broad Shoulders Sep 7th 2013 7:44 am

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 10889925)
Thing is Bose seems to be the in thing to slag off at the moment, I'll generally buy what I think sounds the best and after some consideration I've gone for the Bose. I have a long history of expensive separate systems and I've kind of grown out of the snobbery of it. My eyes are wide open fella and cheap sounding crap they certainly aint, it suits my purposes and achieves what I want better than the others I tried.

Not buying what you don't want seems enough for most people, but you really hate these don't ya, were you gang raped in a bose store or something?:p

nah, I just hate seeing people being unwittingly ripped off

scrubbedexpat098 Sep 7th 2013 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders (Post 10889929)
nah, I just hate seeing people being unwittingly ripped off

how have I been ripped off if I've got the system I wanted, forgive me for saying this but it's quite arrogant to tell people that what they like is shit. Perhaps it comes down to taste in music, it punches out everything from Audioslave to Mozart to my liking, and Damien Marley is done proud. We'll have to agree to disagree on this, and you still aint said what your ultimate system is

GarryP Sep 7th 2013 8:10 am

Never been a fan of Bose. They make the occasional good speaker, in a sea of junk, and they are always overpriced.

Currently putting together similar to make the output from my desktop sound better. Putting a good, cheap, 2.1 speaker set on a Lepai class-t amp, with a $10 Bluetooth adapter and I'll have everything this is and more for a fraction of the price.

scrubbedexpat098 Sep 7th 2013 8:16 am

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 10889949)
Never been a fan of Bose. They make the occasional good speaker, in a sea of junk, and they are always overpriced.

Currently putting together similar to make the output from my desktop sound better. Putting a good, cheap, 2.1 speaker set on a Lepai class-t amp, with a $10 Bluetooth adapter and I'll have everything this is and more for a fraction of the price.

Don't know where everyone goes for bose systems but I've never paid full price for one til now, and that was with the bluetooth adaptor which everyone said was an extra 150.