Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Bogan Mother Removes Child from school aged 14 so he can go to work

Bogan Mother Removes Child from school aged 14 so he can go to work

Old Sep 5th 2011, 10:28 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bogan Mother Removes Child from school aged 14 so he can go to work

Originally Posted by aston
you aint hayley cropper are you?
Felicity Kendal, Maggie Philbin, Aneka Rice, Hayley Cropper...aston, I can be anything you want me to be

(I did have to dredge my memory for that one.)
Old Sep 5th 2011, 11:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for not damning me guys..

Did the best we could for our lad... Thought that two weeks of Proper work over the last school holidays would give him a kick up the arse...

backfired big time, came home walking ten feet tall, He gets home and cant wait to tell us what he's learned today, what he's made, stripped down, put back together ... Course we would know nothing about that, his dad being the foreman...

He gets more ripping from the lads... Being the foremans son, they make sure they give him a bloody hard time and give him all the worst jobs... But apparently no matter what they do he's always on the lookout for how he can help them when he's finished his jobs... And even had a bright idea last week, that earned him a bonus from the boss... (saving them some money through his observation)

When HE has a day off Gorgeous arranges his own lift into work from one of the other lads... So he doesnt miss anything

as parents we want the best for our kids, and do the best we can.... Its not always the traditional thing that works..

For the first time since leaving primary school he is genuinely happy, feels like he is useful and not useless and he behaves like the young man he has become... And not a petulant, disengaged hormonal teenager..

I'm dead bloody proud of him... His work ethic, his attitude and what a fantastic kid he is ... IN the RIGHT environment for him..

Yes he'll go on and do a proper apprenticeship, he'll have a head start on others applying, Maybe one day he will want to do summit academic, but he's very much like HIM.... So I'm not holding my breath...

Apologies for the title, but SOME responses to the above information have been, how shall we put it.....? "a little judgemental"
Old Sep 5th 2011, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007

Did the best we could for our lad... Thought that two weeks of Proper work over the last school holidays would give him a kick up the arse...

backfired big time, came home walking ten feet tall, He gets home and cant wait to tell us what he's learned today, what he's made, stripped down, put back together ... Course we would know nothing about that, his dad being the foreman...

He gets more ripping from the lads... Being the foremans son, they make sure they give him a bloody hard time and give him all the worst jobs... But apparently no matter what they do he's always on the lookout for how he can help them when he's finished his jobs... And even had a bright idea last week, that earned him a bonus from the boss... (saving them some money through his observation)

When HE has a day off Gorgeous arranges his own lift into work from one of the other lads... So he doesnt miss anything

as parents we want the best for our kids, and do the best we can.... Its not always the traditional thing that works..

For the first time since leaving primary school he is genuinely happy, feels like he is useful and not useless and he behaves like the young man he has become... And not a petulant, disengaged hormonal teenager..

I'm dead bloody proud of him... His work ethic, his attitude and what a fantastic kid he is ... IN the RIGHT environment for him..

Yes he'll go on and do a proper apprenticeship, he'll have a head start on others applying, Maybe one day he will want to do summit academic, but he's very much like HIM.... So I'm not holding my breath...

Apologies for the title, but SOME responses to the above information have been, how shall we put it.....? "a little judgemental"
Good on you hun.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 11:54 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Perfect start to adulthood
Old Sep 5th 2011, 6:54 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

..........Apologies for the title, but SOME responses to the above information have been, how shall we put it.....? "a little judgemental"
mate, you asked people for their opinion which means people will give it

Good luck to your son
Old Sep 5th 2011, 7:24 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

He sounds like he is a wonderful young man and a credit to his parents.

Still not forgiven oyu for the snake thing tho
Old Sep 5th 2011, 8:48 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Good onya Eddie.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
mate, you asked people for their opinion which means people will give it

Good luck to your son
Yup, I asked for opinions on here because I am now ready to hear what others think... The opinions offered at the time were not invited... They were imposed on me at a time I was making a really hard decision.

I would not have been TOTALLY offended if anyone had questioned whether it was right to remove a child from school to start "leanring to work"

My worst thoughts were .... He is going to spend his whole life working why start it now?

I also worried that because although he was now disengaged from the education offered at school he might next become disruptive, I've seen that happen...

i learned things at school that benefited me, but then I suppose I'm academic, this is alien to me in many ways... i loved learning about History.... English etc... I suppose if you have dyslexia (which isnt recognised here) it must make EVERYTHING hard work and therefore painful, not joyful.. Tho he DID love the metal work and woodwork side of things... And always worked hard in those two lessons... His metalwork teacher was actually REALLY supportive... Said he's a good kid, works hard, is able with his hands and brain when it comes to constuction... He actually said that for Gorgeous it was a shame school couldnt just be metal work as he could see unhappy he was in other lessons...

I was ready to hear other, different, opinions and use the discussions to help me justify to myself what I've done...

I use this site that way sometimes... Sorry.... But I do it on MY terms... Not in the shopping centre at rocko being pounced on by some one who disagrees with my actions... Lol
Old Sep 6th 2011, 2:46 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

I was ready to hear other, different, opinions and use the discussions to help me justify to myself what I've done...
Well my view (right or wrong) is that perhaps he should have stayed in school, so that he can build on his social skills, strengthen friendships, play sports and you know, maybe learn a few things too ! (that last bit would be a bonus, not compulsory)

Will he meet any girls on the building site? I highly doubt it.

It's a tough one. You know your son better than anyone else, his strengths and weaknesses. You and the hubby are the only ones who can decide.

Very hard for us to help you "justify it to yourself".

But if it helps, here's my take on it.... If a work colleague told me "..blah blah... and by the way, mrs miggins has pulled her 14yr old son out of school so that he can work in her pie shop", my reaction would be "is mrs miggins out of her mind????!!!"

But if mrs miggins had started a thread on BE giving me a bit of background context... well then I may well just respond to my colleague and say "hey buddy. Give mrs miggins a break".

Hope that made some kind of sense...
Old Sep 6th 2011, 2:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
Well my view (right or wrong) is that perhaps he should have stayed in school, so that he can build on his social skills, strengthen friendships, play sports and you know, maybe learn a few things too ! (that last bit would be a bonus, not compulsory)

That was my initial thought but in relation to TAFE - no real chance of making good mates there because of the age difference and I didn't think about the work point. But yeah, if the parents, child, TAFE and work are happy then it's got more of a chance of working than wasting time at school.

Eddie, will you have to have Ed WA or some 'authority' checking up on him? Is there a limit to the number of hours he can work? Presumably not if he's apprenticeshipping.......
Old Sep 6th 2011, 2:56 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

OMG

Can you believe it? Theres this woman in Shockingham who took her son out of a school aged 14 so he can go to work 4 days a week and TAFE for one???

The kid was no trouble at school, ok, " disengaged" but not causing any trouble... Nice lad, captain of his primary school... In all the sports teams, footie, soccer, cricket, basketball... Well liked... Has LOADS of friends... Really good at most sports... WTF is she thinking?

Poor child

See him leaving the house with his dad at 0630 every morning and KNOWS he doesnt get home til 1630.... And he reckons he's happy?

What does she think she's doing?
I don't have time to read the rest of the thread but I think it's child abuse.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 3:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, I asked for opinions on here because I am now ready to hear what others think... The opinions offered at the time were not invited... They were imposed on me at a time I was making a really hard decision.

I would not have been TOTALLY offended if anyone had questioned whether it was right to remove a child from school to start "leanring to work"

My worst thoughts were .... He is going to spend his whole life working why start it now?

I also worried that because although he was now disengaged from the education offered at school he might next become disruptive, I've seen that happen...

i learned things at school that benefited me, but then I suppose I'm academic, this is alien to me in many ways... i loved learning about History.... English etc... I suppose if you have dyslexia (which isnt recognised here) it must make EVERYTHING hard work and therefore painful, not joyful.. Tho he DID love the metal work and woodwork side of things... And always worked hard in those two lessons... His metalwork teacher was actually REALLY supportive... Said he's a good kid, works hard, is able with his hands and brain when it comes to constuction... He actually said that for Gorgeous it was a shame school couldnt just be metal work as he could see unhappy he was in other lessons...

I use this site that way sometimes... Sorry.... But I do it on MY terms... Not in the shopping centre at rocko being pounced on by some one who disagrees with my actions... Lol
I'm utterly confused. Are you the 'bogan mother' in the thread title?
Old Sep 6th 2011, 3:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
I'm utterly confused. Are you the 'bogan mother' in the thread title?
She is. She's kinda taking the mick out of the belief of many in that area that Rockinham is full of bogan parents who don't give a shit about their kids.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 3:55 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla

I'm sure he'll meet plenty of girls in time. There's no need to rush that side of life. Especially when you're 14.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
I'm sure he'll meet plenty of girls in time. There's no need to rush that side of life. Especially when you're 14.
No, there's no need to rush and he probably doesn't need a girlfriend at 14, but it is important to talk to them and socialise with them. It's just laying the ground work for later on life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.