Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Boat question tinny vs fiberglass

Boat question tinny vs fiberglass

Old Oct 6th 2010, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boat question tinny vs fiberglass

Originally Posted by Grayling
Second hand tinny hulls can be pretty cheap and are probably best for the inexperieced as they can stand a bit of abuse. The bay is full of sandbanks and rocks so you are bound to hit a few, never mind the inevitable bumps when launching and retrieving......they are also fairly easy to repair.

A decent motor can be expensive but it is very important and can, of course, be put on to a new hull.

Probably best to start with a cheapish tin hull and then buy a more expensive one as you get more experienced.

A boat is always a compromise between cost, safety, practicality and comfort.

I have a 4.3 centre console tinny mainly for fishing.

G
I would start with a tinny - based on it's ability to take abuse. Abuse to wallet also a consideration.

Reminds me - must get down to VicRoads and get my ticket! (Naturally - Buzzie will be skipper - and I won't push my oar in...and follow directions but I want to get it before they make it harder..)
Old Oct 7th 2010, 12:01 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

I'll go against the grain and say, get yourself a half cabin. A tinny is more suitable for the beginner, however it won't adequately satisfy your requirements (going out in the northern half of the bay, maybe the odd trip over to tangalooma, straddie etc). Whereas a half cabin is just as capable around e.g. jumpinpin and the shallower waters, as long as you stay aware of the markers and take care whilst you are learning the ropes.

Obviously you need to be more careful with the half cabin, so make sure that your boatie mate comes along on your first few outings, to give you a hand.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 4:04 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
I'll go against the grain and say, get yourself a half cabin. A tinny is more suitable for the beginner, however it won't adequately satisfy your requirements (going out in the northern half of the bay, maybe the odd trip over to tangalooma, straddie etc). Whereas a half cabin is just as capable around e.g. jumpinpin and the shallower waters, as long as you stay aware of the markers and take care whilst you are learning the ropes.

Obviously you need to be more careful with the half cabin, so make sure that your boatie mate comes along on your first few outings, to give you a hand.
personnaly i`d stay well away from jumpinpin till you have a bit of experiance under your belt the shoals are constantly moving so your sat nav image wont be much use ditto slipping sands through thats alot calmer just bloody shallow at low tide
Old Oct 7th 2010, 4:21 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

No way are you going to jump the bar at jumpinpin, it dangerous to those with 20 years under the belt. Most of the bars in QLD are pretty bad.

Northern bay is like the ocean, southern bay is shallow as hell. Buy a boat for your conditions, and what you want to do with it.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 6:44 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
personnaly i`d stay well away from jumpinpin till you have a bit of experiance under your belt the shoals are constantly moving so your sat nav image wont be much use ditto slipping sands through thats alot calmer just bloody shallow at low tide
For anyone who is interested - Nearmap did a recent flyover of jumpinpin and the photos were taken close to lowtide.

edit - seen plenty of folks stuck on this sandbank.... myself included....
Old Oct 7th 2010, 7:49 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

For anyone who is interested - Nearmap did a recent flyover of jumpinpin and the photos were taken close to lowtide.

smart pictures aint technolagy clever

on our last vist to the bay we came back through slipping sands across the top end of jumpinpin and right into the channel that leads up to tiplers at low tide dragged the fin through plenty of sand but kept going
luckily for us the fins motorised and can lifted up into the keel taking us from 6` down to just under 3` and travelling around the broadwater etc means it gets used alot
Old Oct 7th 2010, 10:04 am
Account Open

smart pictures aint technolagy clever

on our last vist to the bay we came back through slipping sands across the top end of jumpinpin and right into the channel that leads up to tiplers at low tide dragged the fin through plenty of sand but kept going
luckily for us the fins motorised and can lifted up into the keel taking us from 6` down to just under 3` and travelling around the broadwater etc means it gets used alot
technology is pretty useful nowadays... whether on a boat or a computer !

if you take a look again on nearmap, this time at cylinder beach on straddie, there are a few manta rays visible, pretty close in.

edit - here you go, this'll save you the effort of looking for them ! here's 4 swimming together, but there are plenty of others too.

Last edited by asprilla; Oct 7th 2010 at 10:10 am.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 10:30 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Never seen nearmap before ? It's google maps on speed thanks !

Old Oct 24th 2010, 8:08 pm
Worongary

Originally Posted by themerlin
I know I have been looking on ebay and loads don't sell.

Would like to go fishing, but also go for a cruse so I still like the idea of a cabin boat, been out a few times on my friend sea ray bow rider and it's not the best on the bay, fine on the river though.

I agree with some of the comments, the Au build tinnys seem to be expensive compared to some of the glass boats.
if you want to get there fast get one of these

it rumbled past us going down the coomera river as it hit the broadwater it growled alot and disapeard very quickly
Attached Thumbnails Boat question tinny vs fiberglass-img_5635.jpg   Boat question tinny vs fiberglass-img_5637.jpg  
Old Oct 24th 2010, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

if you want to get there fast get one of these

it rumbled past us going down the coomera river as it hit the broadwater it growled alot and disapeard very quickly
It probably went to the fuel stop.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 10:55 am

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at getting a new Stacer 479 Easy Rider

Seemed better value then the Quintrex for a similar boat.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 9:38 am

Got Quintrex Freedom Sport 475 last Thursday
Old Nov 13th 2010, 7:09 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Got Quintrex Freedom Sport 475 last Thursday
Woohoo - enjoy!

Pictures please.

BB
Old Nov 14th 2010, 2:41 am
Mav
Forum Regular

Mav is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking at getting a new Stacer 479 Easy Rider

Seemed better value then the Quintrex for a similar boat.
i went for the 5.5 meter M tune version of the stessco,we go out to the other side of Morton island alot,i brought it new last year from the boat show and had a bit of a deal with them, front and side clears keep me warm and dry in the worst of conditions,4mm plate bottom 3mm sides so its strong too, the big 4 stroke engine is far better than any 2 stroke i ever bin in or owned and all for 33k, i couldnt get anything else near that price they all came out 10k more
160hrs on it now
happy days
Attached Thumbnails Boat question tinny vs fiberglass-058.jpg  
Old Nov 14th 2010, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mav
i went for the 5.5 meter M tune version of the stessco,we go out to the other side of Morton island alot,i brought it new last year from the boat show and had a bit of a deal with them, front and side clears keep me warm and dry in the worst of conditions,4mm plate bottom 3mm sides so its strong too, the big 4 stroke engine is far better than any 2 stroke i ever bin in or owned and all for 33k, i couldnt get anything else near that price they all came out 10k more
160hrs on it now
happy days
I was out with B a few weeks ago and those bowriders are very comfortable - all leather and very plush. I got a much better idea what is out there. I'd still probably go for a tinny, with a bit of a cabin - bit of carpet....you know...easier on the feet....I also learnt that you don't stand up when crashing through the swell....you lose your cap....it took me some of the trip out to get used to the crash-bang. B coxes standing up, head in the breeze..I cower down low...

Thanks mate!

Small world - my boss moored up next to us..and I let him walk past. I said "G'Day' to him as I was pulling B's boat out of the water as he waited his turn. He probably thinks he is paying me too much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.