Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Boat question tinny vs fiberglass

Boat question tinny vs fiberglass

Old Oct 1st 2010, 10:02 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Boat question tinny vs fiberglass

One for you boaties

Thinking about getting my first boat but not sure which is best aluminum or fiberglass. From what I have read fiberglass is cheaper (second hand) but heavier and easier to damage.

Looking at getting a half cabin type thing , This for example.

But it all depends on who you talk to and what they are selling.

So any advice/good links will be welcome.

Thanks
Old Oct 1st 2010, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boat question tinny vs fiberglass

Whatever you go for, don't buy one with a four wheeled trailer, they are a pain in the backside to reverse.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 11:43 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go for a tinny over a GRP hull. The tinny is lighter, easier to tow & is a lot more forgiving to new boaties then a GRP one. Old GRP hulls can have a tendency to suffer from transom problems, water gets in & the strengthening timber rots out leaving you with a weakened point right where you need full strength for the motor.
GRP has it's own qualities in that it offers a more stable ride on the water due to the extra weight & it's more flexible from a moulding point of view.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 10:26 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Check out the fishing forums http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/forumdisplay.php?f=61 , or boatpoint for boats.

Depends what you are doing really. Family boat for fishing, bumping up on a beach, etc then a tinny. Offshore, or rougher weather than fibreglass.

Go around the boat yards and sit in a few, work of it you will ever use the cabin, or is it using space.

GRP boats can have issues with rot especially in the transoms, but tinny boats are designed to plane, so are not fun once the weather is above .5m waves.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 10:46 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by datamile
Check out the fishing forums http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/forumdisplay.php?f=61 , or boatpoint for boats.

Depends what you are doing really. Family boat for fishing, bumping up on a beach, etc then a tinny. Offshore, or rougher weather than fibreglass.

Go around the boat yards and sit in a few, work of it you will ever use the cabin, or is it using space.

GRP boats can have issues with rot especially in the transoms, but tinny boats are designed to plane, so are not fun once the weather is above .5m waves.
Ive been looking at this lately thinking of getting a bowrider to scoot around the bayside and some light fishing duty once in a blue moon. Been toying between half cab or bowrider like the bayliners.

I think we'll only use it to do silly things like jump over to coochie or straddie even somewhere as far as moreton bay island wouldbe too far I think, maybe , just maybe tow the kids off the back on a donut thing but not sure im open to that idea.

Anyone any experience or opinion to share on these?
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 12:17 am

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Friend has a bowrider and it's not the best on the bay with any chop because the waves just splash into the front of the boat.

I don't think I would go out of the bay but fancy a few trips out to morton island, also like the idea of fishing a bit.

I have a kayak at the moment but I'm not game to paddle all the way to Morton island, might see if I can make redcliffe from Brighton first

Originally Posted by spalen
Ive been looking at this lately thinking of getting a bowrider to scoot around the bayside and some light fishing duty once in a blue moon. Been toying between half cab or bowrider like the bayliners.

I think we'll only use it to do silly things like jump over to coochie or straddie even somewhere as far as moreton bay island wouldbe too far I think, maybe , just maybe tow the kids off the back on a donut thing but not sure im open to that idea.

Anyone any experience or opinion to share on these?
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 12:18 am

That might explain the lower resale price on older boats, how do you check for this ?

Originally Posted by datamile
Check out the fishing forums
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 8:57 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
That might explain the lower resale price on older boats, how do you check for this ?
Just do a google search mate, most forums will advise lifting the motor up to 45° & having a good twist around to see if the transom flexes. You can also tap all around the stern to check for any dull thuds the GRP should sound solid everywhere. Dull thud = rot. Any unusual bulging = rot/bad repair.

My boat is a really old Quintrex, Alloy body with GRP Gunwale & topsides. I abuse it dragging scuba cylinders up the side & it has accumulated a fair few knocks & dents, if it was GRP it would be requiring some TLC by now. Now the O/H has a skippers ticket we're looking to doing some more diving while my son is home on leave from the RAN
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 9:26 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Boat question tinny vs fiberglass

Originally Posted by themerlin
Friend has a bowrider and it's not the best on the bay with any chop because the waves just splash into the front of the boat.
We have a bowrider and we overcome this issue by simply fitting the bow cover on! the kids then crawl under the bow cover (which they call their cubby house!) and often go to sleep. There's a photo of us about to head off into Port Philip with this set up below.

The comment above about reversing a tandem trailer - I actually find it easier than reversing my 4x6 trailer. Plus the 4 wheels means its rated 2 tons so we can fill the boat with camping gear etc.

BB
Attached Thumbnails Boat question tinny vs fiberglass-7th-aug-1-.jpg  
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
We have a bowrider and we overcome this issue by simply fitting the bow cover on! the kids then crawl under the bow cover (which they call their cubby house!) and often go to sleep. There's a photo of us about to head off into Port Philip with this set up below.

The comment above about reversing a tandem trailer - I actually find it easier than reversing my 4x6 trailer. Plus the 4 wheels means its rated 2 tons so we can fill the boat with camping gear etc.

BB
You boat is a bit of a swank, mate.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 9:58 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
You boat is a bit of a swank, mate.
About time you came for a cruise me old china.

BB
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 10:04 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

BB
Thanks - I'm really erring on getting one of these because they are a bit 'posher' in their interior fit out.

If the cover solves the water problem I'm in for it. My kids are 14+12 though so wont fit under quite as neatly as yours :-)

Does it get choppy in your area? what sort of wave height can you put out in with it?
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - I'm really erring on getting one of these because they are a bit 'posher' in their interior fit out.

If the cover solves the water problem I'm in for it. My kids are 14+12 though so wont fit under quite as neatly as yours :-)

Does it get choppy in your area? what sort of wave height can you put out in with it?
You can rely on BB to suss these things out, can't you? These boats have a nicer glove compartment and wheel than my old Saab. At least those Scandinavian merchants know all about how to mount - the radio is high on the dash...

About time you came for a cruise me old china.

BB
Sign me up - the family are away for another 6 weeks...to coin a phrase - "will PM you..."
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 10:52 am
Victorian Evangelist

Smile Re: Boat question tinny vs fiberglass

I can go out in pretty much anything, the question is what do I choose to go out in because certain wave heights and certain wind directions make for an uncomfortable unenjoyable ride. The flatter the better for speed and enjoyment.

Bowriders - the Americans are best at making these. The Aussies make a couple too but they're more geared up to making fishing boats and as a result their bowriders are more expensive and less well specified than the Americans.

We looked at -

Bayliner
Sea Ray
Monterey
Four Winns
Crownline
Rae Line (NZ made).

Out of these the Crownline was far and away the best and it wasn't the most expensive. I recommend you look at all of these before making a decision and any others you can find. There's also forums for every one of these makes except Rae Line, the forums are very US-centric and it should always be borne in mind that these type of boats are designed for US lakes rather than Australian coastal waters. However if you live somewhere like Melbourne where Port Philip has very similar wind and wave conditions to a large US lake this is an advantage.

We really enjoy the boat - it's a great fun way to enjoy time with family and friends.

BB
Attached Thumbnails Boat question tinny vs fiberglass-7th-aug-3-.jpg  
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 11:09 am
ah-beng

Thanks mate - the bayliners are pretty prevalent here. I agree on the aussie boats - I cant work out how they try and sell them when a new aussie tinny with some seats in the front is 15k more than a beautifully fitted bayliner americun boat.

We have open water sheltered by massive islands - Stradbroke, Moreton , etc so its not like the north sea :-) should be ok I reckon, we will certainly be 'fair weather' boaties.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.