British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Bl***y cheek of it (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/bl%2A%2A%2Ay-cheek-615433/)

buchanan Jun 18th 2009 1:40 am

Bl***y cheek of it

We left our house in the UK in Jan and have a sale going through on it which should complete early in July. My parents who live close by have been keeping their eye on the place. On Tuesday they went to the house with my brother to cut the grass and collect some items we did not ship, when they got there they found the grass had been cut and a a petrol lawnmower in the playhouse. My brother phoned the estate agents to see if they knew anything about it and they had given permission to the purchasers to cut the grass so that it would not be too long when they moved in!!! How bl***y cheeky is that? Although it did save my parents from cutting it!! We have contacted our solicitor to ask his advice.:frown:

Santa Jun 18th 2009 1:47 am

Re: Bl***y cheek of it

You've contacted your solicitor beacause someone's done your mowing !!!! Jesus Christ, get a grip.

The_Wookie Jun 18th 2009 1:49 am

:confused:

renth Jun 18th 2009 1:53 am

Originally Posted by Santa (Post 7674937)
You've contacted your solicitor beacause someone's done your mowing !!!! Jesus Christ, get a grip.

+1

NickyC Jun 18th 2009 1:56 am

What sort of advice are you expecting to get from your solicitor? Are you going to sue them for the return of the grass?

Do you want to upset your buyers so they pull out?

Just be thankful they're keen enough on the house that they want to keep the garden looking nice.

I'd have thought that most sellers would kill for buyers who not only want to buy the house - but to do the garden before they move in as well - I'd be doing everything I could to hang onto them.

Iwannabethere Jun 18th 2009 2:18 am

Originally Posted by NickyC (Post 7674955)
What sort of advice are you expecting to get from your solicitor? Are you going to sue them for the return of the grass?

Just be thankful they're keen enough on the house that they want to keep the garden looking nice.

I'd have thought that most sellers would kill for buyers who not only want to buy the house - but to do the garden before they move in as well - I'd be doing everything I could to hang onto them.

I'll second that! Can't see the problem :blink:

Broad Shoulders Jun 18th 2009 2:24 am

unless it is some sort of metaphor for the guy shagging your wife I don't see the problem

johnnyx0 Jun 18th 2009 2:38 am

:unsure: Haven't people got 'mower' important things to worry about?

crikey Jun 18th 2009 2:56 am

Originally Posted by johnnyx0 (Post 7675081)
:unsure: Haven't people got 'mower' important things to worry about?

Thats very funny,

seriously though I have had carpets fitted in a house we didn't actually own at the time - estate agents figured if the sale fell through the seller had free carpets!

comet555 Jun 18th 2009 3:00 am

Originally Posted by NickyC (Post 7674955)

Ditto. I'd be thrilled if that happened to me.

It's not like they've got the keys to the house and started moving in. I'd be grateful they're wanting to keep the place in great shape, and would see it as a positive sign that they really want the house.

this charming man Jun 18th 2009 3:01 am

Id have thought somebody would have grassed them up sooner.

johnnyx0 Jun 18th 2009 3:06 am

Originally Posted by this charming man (Post 7675150)
Id have thought somebody would have grassed them up sooner.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

asprilla Jun 18th 2009 3:07 am

Originally Posted by buchanan (Post 7674925)
We left our house in the UK in Jan and have a sale going through on it which should complete early in July. My parents who live close by have been keeping their eye on the place. On Tuesday they went to the house with my brother to cut the grass and collect some items we did not ship, when they got there they found the grass had been cut and a a petrol lawnmower in the playhouse. My brother phoned the estate agents to see if they knew anything about it and they had given permission to the purchasers to cut the grass so that it would not be too long when they moved in!!! How bl***y cheeky is that? Although it did save my parents from cutting it!! We have contacted our solicitor to ask his advice.:frown:

Don't worry buchanan - I can understand your frustration. Before we left the UK, we were on holiday in Belgium the week before our house sale was due to go through.

We got back to find out that, lo and behold, our prospective purchasers had mowed our front lawn and back lawn, as well as pruned our front hedge into shape !!

You can imagine that we were understandably furious, so we contacted our solicitor and set about threatening legal action. In the end, we settled out of court for GBP50k, and the buyers also agreed to re-turf our lawns with long grass ! So it was really a good outcome all round.

best of luck.

:thumbup:

this charming man Jun 18th 2009 3:10 am

My bird pruned her front hedge,mmmmmm kinda kinky,no sign of any compo as yet.

Deutschmaster Jun 18th 2009 3:12 am

as a tenant I had a similar problem. I took a carpet shampooer around to a place just before I moved in. The landlord was frustrated because he was saving the dirt for a special occasion.

I offered to filter the outflow of the shampooer and give him that, but he relented and said not to worry.