British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Biltong stokkies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/biltong-stokkies-738873/)

eddie007 Nov 13th 2011 10:51 pm

Biltong stokkies

I'm bloody addicted to the stuff and its costing me a fortune...

Anyone got a recipe to DIY? I've got one of those dryer things that you can do trays of dried fruit in... Can I use that????

On the packet ingredients it says "spices"

What spices????

Can I quilt one?

Alfresco Nov 13th 2011 10:57 pm

Re: Biltong stokkies

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 9731685)

Anyone got a recipe to DIY? I've got one of those dryer things that you can do trays of dried fruit in... Can I use that????

What spices????

Can I quilt one?

Yes, you could use a fruit dryer. You can buy the ready made spices at a S.A. shop.

http://www.africashop.com.au/shop/in...ewCat&catId=45

Will last ages.

Biltong is easy to make. Stokkies will be quicker because the meat is very thinly cut.

eddie007 Nov 13th 2011 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 9731694)
Yes, you could use a fruit dryer. You can buy the ready made spices at a S.A. shop.

Will last ages.

Biltong is easy to make. Stokkies will be quicker because the meat is very thinly cut.

OMG I COULD KISS YOU :wub:

THANKYOU

Sherlock Holmes Nov 13th 2011 11:23 pm

What spices????

Can I quilt one?

I thought this was about bongs and stoggies and hence your addiction. My apologies. :D

eddie007 Nov 13th 2011 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes (Post 9731733)
I thought this was about bongs and stoggies and hence your addiction. My apologies. :D

Could that be the cause of my munchies?????

eddie007 Nov 13th 2011 11:33 pm

Will last ages.

Buggerit, you're dangerous you are, i've just placed an order... For the pork n apple seasoning and the garlic barbie too... This could end in divorce...

Sherlock Holmes Nov 13th 2011 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 9731744)
Could that be the cause of my munchies?????

Gor luv a duck. I could kill for a munchie. A mint one. They really taste quite posh.

eddie007 Nov 13th 2011 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes (Post 9731746)
Gor luv a duck. I could kill for a munchie. A mint one. They really taste quite posh.

If MIL arrives without a box of After Eights she's on the next flight home... They did do mint munchies didnt they? or have I made that up?

rasen78 Nov 13th 2011 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 9731764)
If MIL arrives without a box of After Eights she's on the next flight home... They did do mint munchies didnt they? or have I made that up?

Yes, and they still do I think.

THE best mint chocolate EVER was called a Pyramint:wub:
http://www.childofthe1980s.com/2008/...rrys-pyramint/

I would save up ALL my pennies for one of these - they were lush

eddie007 Nov 14th 2011 1:41 am

I have two boys with a serious billtong habit too... I blame myself, I should never exposed them to it... What kind of irresponsible parent am I ffs???:(

Keeping my billtong stash safe and hidden around the house is a constant battle... If its not the boys it tabbyfur and the byford two nicking it and the hounds from hell have been known to KILL for a piece of it...

Any suggestions for a child/animal/husband free place to store it????

Cheetah7 Nov 14th 2011 1:44 am

I loved the springbok biltong in Africa, I have only seen beef biltong over here.

Where is Amazulu, I bet he has a secret recipe hidden somewhere, come on my little piece of Africa, come to Mumma and lets talk about your biltong.:sneaky:

God that stuff is gorgeous, I could chew on that all day.:wub:

Alfresco Nov 14th 2011 7:25 am

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 9731897)
I have two boys with a serious billtong habit too... I blame myself, I should never exposed them to it... What kind of irresponsible parent am I ffs???:(

Keeping my billtong stash safe and hidden around the house is a constant battle... If its not the boys it tabbyfur and the byford two nicking it and the hounds from hell have been known to KILL for a piece of it...

Any suggestions for a child/animal/husband free place to store it????

You can freeze it or just put it in the fridge in small sealed sandwich bags and then take it out when needed. It doesn't really freeze (density and lack of moisture) and is edible after a few minutes at room temp.

That's where I hide mine from the kids. :thumbup:

Google biltong and how to make etc... Plenty of info available. Hygiene and protection from flies etc... is paramount in the process, like beer making really.

Amazulu Nov 14th 2011 10:33 am

What spices????

Can I quilt one?

Welcome to the world of biltong - there's no going back now.

It's a $55/kg habit though..........

Amazulu Nov 14th 2011 10:35 am

I partly disagree - easy to make, but not easy to make well.

Cheetah7 Nov 14th 2011 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 9732839)

Do they only do beef biltong in Australia?

Not meaning to be spoilt, but I want Springbok Biltong, we used to chew on that on our day tours and drink it with Windhoek lager. And once you start on a bag of biltong, before you know it you have eaten it all and your mouth has dried out completely.:lol:

Amazulu Nov 14th 2011 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Professional
Where is Amazulu, I bet he has a secret recipe hidden somewhere, come on my little piece of Africa, come to Mumma and lets talk about your biltong.:sneaky:

:eek:

Amazulu Nov 14th 2011 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 9732844)

Not meaning to be spoilt, but I want Springbok Biltong, we used to chew on that on our day tours and drink it with Windhoek lager. And once you start on a bag of biltong, before you know it you have eaten it all and your mouth has dried out completely.:lol:

I've only ever seen beef here - not many Antelope in Australia!

The best is Elephant biltong - but that's another, controversial story..........

Cheetah7 Nov 14th 2011 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 9732846)
:eek:

:sneaky:

When we first landed in Namibia, we were taken by car to our accommodation and one thing that really amused me, was people waiting by the side of the road with their shopping for a bus - no proper bus stop, and then close to them would be a few wild baboons and I had heard that the baboons sometimes steal the shopping.

That always made me giggle seeing the baboons so close to humans, just knowing they would mug them for their food.:eek:

Amazulu Nov 14th 2011 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 9732854)
:sneaky:

When we first landed in Namibia, we were taken by car to our accommodation and one thing that really amused me, was people waiting by the side of the road with their shopping for a bus - no proper bus stop, and then close to them would be a few wild baboons and I had heard that the baboons sometimes steal the shopping.

That always made me giggle seeing the baboons so close to humans, just knowing they would mug them for their food.:eek:

Baboons are nuts. In the wild they are very shy and timid but when they get into contact with humans they go f**king mental.

Cheetah7 Nov 14th 2011 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 9732860)
Baboons are nuts. In the wild they are very shy and timid but when they get into contact with humans they go f**king mental.

They were so much bigger than I had imagined, they actually would steal shopping bags and run off with them.

On our tour bus, we were doing the long drive to Etosha and we were over taken by this Ostrich, it was the funniest thing ever watching this huge bird running along, I almost could imagine it wearing cycling shorts, whilst listening to an ipod as it ran by.

Do you miss SA? I would give anything to revisit Namibia and see other parts of Africa as well.

eddie007 Nov 14th 2011 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 9732839)

It's a $55/kg habit though..........

I need to set up my own biltong lab... I'm assuming that its unaustralian and against the law.... But I'm SURE I can produce it for a lot less than $55 a kilo

My biggest worry is "if it goes green it has spoiled so throw it away... I REALLY dont want to poison myself.... I suppose thats where the lab rats, sorry, hounds from hell will come in...

Iis off to Coles to buy me some silverside.... If I can find out what silverside is in australian....

eddie007 Nov 14th 2011 10:54 am

Baboons are amazing mimics.... They are simply reflecting what they see:blink:

Sherlock Holmes Nov 14th 2011 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 9732879)
Baboons are amazing mimics.... They are simply reflecting what they see:blink:

Good job that they can't see their own behinds then. :confused_smile:

sonlymewalter Nov 14th 2011 7:54 pm

what does this biltong stuff taste like?

Someone offered me a piece but it reminded me of the chewy stuff I give my dog so I passed up on it:unsure:

Bernieboy Nov 14th 2011 8:03 pm

Like most saffers really;)

Amazulu Nov 14th 2011 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Bernieboy (Post 9733515)
Like most saffers really;)

damn straight and don't you forget it

Bernieboy Nov 14th 2011 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 9733516)
damn straight and don't you forget it

Unlike yer good self:D

Scubaemma Nov 14th 2011 8:43 pm

They sell cuttle fish biltong at the Foodworks near where I work (is there a vomit smiley?).
Strangely enough when I asked the Asian shopkeeper about it, he said its not a huge seller....

rozellem Nov 14th 2011 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 9732844)

We were talking about this over the weekend. Has anyone attempted to make biltong from kangaroo meat? Surely there is a gap in the market? We eat kangaroo steaks regularly and buy biltong regularly, so its only a matter of time.....

ps. my fave biltong is Ostrich, yum.

Sherlock Holmes Nov 14th 2011 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Scubaemma (Post 9733596)
They sell cuttle fish biltong at the Foodworks near where I work (is there a vomit smiley?).
Strangely enough when I asked the Asian shopkeeper about it, he said its not a huge seller....

There is now: :sick:

Cheetah7 Nov 14th 2011 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by rozellem (Post 9733628)
We were talking about this over the weekend. Has anyone attempted to make biltong from kangaroo meat? Surely there is a gap in the market? We eat kangaroo steaks regularly and buy biltong regularly, so its only a matter of time.....

ps. my fave biltong is Ostrich, yum.

OMG, we had Ostrich biltong and it was gorgeous, reminds me of the long journey to the Namib, stopping off to pick up some cold beers, having our lunch at the side of the road and nibbling on some Ostrich biltong.

Oh god I want to go back so badly, the smells of various delicious meals, the colours - even in the most driest of scenery, one green tree will light it up with colour, the different tribes, the dryness of it all.

That feeling that if you blink your eyes for one second you will miss so much.

When I win the lotto, I will go back.:o

Alfresco Nov 15th 2011 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 9732877)
I need to set up my own biltong lab... I'm assuming that its unaustralian and against the law.... But I'm SURE I can produce it for a lot less than $55 a kilo

My biggest worry is "if it goes green it has spoiled so throw it away... I REALLY dont want to poison myself.... I suppose thats where the lab rats, sorry, hounds from hell will come in...

Iis off to Coles to buy me some silverside.... If I can find out what silverside is in australian....

I'm gonna get one of these and make some again.

http://www.topbuy.com.au/tbcart/pc/5...tail_container

I left my hanging biltong maker in the UK.

eddie007 Nov 15th 2011 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 9735383)
I'm gonna get one of these and make some again.

http://www.topbuy.com.au/tbcart/pc/5...tail_container

I left my hanging biltong maker in the UK.

I have one of them.... Somewhere..... Cant put me hand on it at the mo... Perhaps HE has thrown it out..... You can buy the ones they have at the butchers ... The big glass boxes for $195..... But I'm doing my first lot with the fan oven on zero heat.....

When I get round to it, which wont be today coz I'm working tonight so am going to chillax ....

Alfresco Nov 15th 2011 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 9735417)
I have one of them.... Somewhere..... Cant put me hand on it at the mo... Perhaps HE has thrown it out..... You can buy the ones they have at the butchers ... The big glass boxes for $195..... But I'm doing my first lot with the fan oven on zero heat.....

When I get round to it, which wont be today coz I'm working tonight so am going to chillax ....

Yep seen them. Bit pricey.

sa2uk2oz Nov 15th 2011 10:14 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my husband's biltong box. He made it himself, has a light and fan and the front is covered in mesh. He has the recipe down to perfection, and most people who try it prefer it to the SA shop. It holds about 6kgs of meat - so he makes a batch every couple of weeks.

eddie007 Nov 15th 2011 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 9735421)
Yep seen them. Bit pricey.

Dunno... $195 for a "professional" one.... Its the same make and model they use in our local butchers and biltong starts at $70 a kilo... It'd pay for itself within weeks....

The round air dryer I got was $5 from a garage sale.... It'll pay for itself in the first batch if it works.....

Still waiting for the sFfa online shop to contact me about payment :sneaky:

Have to get HIM to study the plans for a home made one.... Should be able to knock one up for me I reckon...

Bit worried bout the plastic on the airdryer being in contact with the meat...

Alfresco Nov 15th 2011 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by sa2uk2oz (Post 9736040)
Here is my husband's biltong box. He made it himself, has a light and fan and the front is covered in mesh. He has the recipe down to perfection, and most people who try it prefer it to the SA shop. It holds about 6kgs of meat - so he makes a batch every couple of weeks.

Looks awesome. 6 kgs should last a looooong while, though not in our house. ;)

That is the best way to make it though.

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 9736045)
Dunno... $195 for a "professional" one.... Its the same make and model they use in our local butchers and biltong starts at $70 a kilo... It'd pay for itself within weeks....

The round air dryer I got was $5 from a garage sale.... It'll pay for itself in the first batch if it works.....

Still waiting for the sFfa online shop to contact me about payment :sneaky:

Have to get HIM to study the plans for a home made one.... Should be able to knock one up for me I reckon...

Bit worried bout the plastic on the airdryer being in contact with the meat...

Can't go wrong with the hanging "Pro" one. Give it a go.

sa2uk2oz Nov 16th 2011 7:35 am

unfortunately the 6kg dries out to about 3.5kg so by the time all the friends get a piece, usually lasts a week!
Don't forget the secret in the marinading of the meat for 24 hours before hanging.. (in vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar)
he also adds chilli to the biltong spice for some of the meat

In Exile Nov 16th 2011 9:46 am

Will last ages.

i want the biltong making machine on that site!
one question, when you dry/make biltong, does it smell?

I've witnessed the nasal horror of meat curing and it stinks. The end result is great but the process aint.

Alfresco Nov 16th 2011 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by In Exile (Post 9737329)
i want the biltong making machine on that site!
one question, when you dry/make biltong, does it smell?

I've witnessed the nasal horror of meat curing and it stinks. The end result is great but the process aint.

It gives off a sweetish smell of the biltong spice and vinegar (that you marinate it overnight/24hrs in) for the first day or two, until it starts drying properly. So mostly those, but not a meaty smell.

If you're gonna splash for the machine and you also like sherry, grab a bottle of Old Brown sherry. The best sherry for making trifles.
http://www.africashop.com.au/shop/in...&productId=294

I just ordered a bottle with my biltong spice.