British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Biltong stokkies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/biltong-stokkies-738873/)

Alfresco Nov 16th 2011 1:19 pm

Re: Biltong stokkies

Originally Posted by sa2uk2oz (Post 9737032)
unfortunately the 6kg dries out to about 3.5kg so by the time all the friends get a piece, usually lasts a week!
Don't forget the secret in the marinading of the meat for 24 hours before hanging.. (in vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar)
he also adds chilli to the biltong spice for some of the meat

Yep true. It doesn't last long if others know where it is. ;)

Originally Posted by sa2uk2oz (Post 9736040)
Here is my husband's biltong box. He made it himself, has a light and fan and the front is covered in mesh. He has the recipe down to perfection, and most people who try it prefer it to the SA shop. It holds about 6kgs of meat - so he makes a batch every couple of weeks.

Could you post his recipe and method here please?

In Exile Nov 16th 2011 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 9737561)
It gives off a sweetish smell of the biltong spice and vinegar (that you marinate it overnight/24hrs in) for the first day or two, until it starts drying properly. So mostly those, but not a meaty smell.

If you're gonna splash for the machine and you also like sherry, grab a bottle of Old Brown sherry. The best sherry for making trifles.
http://www.africashop.com.au/shop/in...&productId=294

I just ordered a bottle with my biltong spice.

cool. so if i used our external laundry room (locked), it wouldnt create a rotting meat smell for the neighbours?

EDIT: can you use the machine for Droewurst (sp) too? I imagine thats a bit harder to make though

I do like sherry - that's alcoholic right? :D
I jest. I do like it, but unfortunately i dont like triffle. Its the soggy sponge and fruit that i cant handle. To put it into perspective, i have to eat Weetabix really fast while its still a bit crunchy. Once its soggy, its game over.

In this case though, I dont think I'll let me triffle prejudice get in the way of a good bottle of sherry. Thanks for the recomendation :thumbsup:

How long does the biltong take? and can you overdo it? Stuff ive bought in Australia tends to be really really overly dried, and unpleasant. Stuff I bought in the SA shops of london, or SA itself has been moist and bloody marvellous.

Alfresco Nov 16th 2011 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by In Exile (Post 9737607)
cool. so if i used our external laundry room (locked), it wouldnt create a rotting meat smell for the neighbours?

EDIT: can you use the machine for Droewurst (sp) too? I imagine thats a bit harder to make though

I do like sherry - that's alcoholic right? :D
I jest. I do like it, but unfortunately i dont like triffle. Its the soggy sponge and fruit that i cant handle. To put it into perspective, i have to eat Weetabix really fast while its still a bit crunchy. Once its soggy, its game over.

In this case though, I dont think I'll let me triffle prejudice get in the way of a good bottle of sherry. Thanks for the recomendation :thumbsup:

How long does the biltong take? and can you overdo it? Stuff ive bought in Australia tends to be really really overly dried, and unpleasant. Stuff I bought in the SA shops of london, or SA itself has been moist and bloody marvellous.

The Sherry is great for sipping neat. :sunglasses:

It shouldn't be a problem in the laundry as long as it's not dark and damp which causes mould especially in the first few days and will spoil the biltong. Ventilation and light are best until it starts going hard on the outside.

Yep, hang it in the same machine. If you can make the wors itself. It doesn't need marinading, just hang it out to dry as it were.

Amazulu Nov 16th 2011 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 9737561)
If you're gonna splash for the machine and you also like sherry, grab a bottle of Old Brown sherry. The best sherry for making trifles.
http://www.africashop.com.au/shop/in...&productId=294

OBS Alfresco? Really?

That stuff is f**king disgusting. Takes me back to being 16 and buying that shit to get drunk on as it was so cheap. Shudders.

Alfresco Nov 16th 2011 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 9737612)
OBS Alfresco? Really?

That stuff is f**king disgusting. Takes me back to being 16 and buying that shit to get drunk on as it was so cheap. Shudders.

:rofl:

Reminds me of the army. :hehe:

Amazulu Nov 16th 2011 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 9737614)
:rofl:

Reminds me of the army. :hehe:

That too

In Exile Nov 16th 2011 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 9737610)

did you just recommend the teenage drink of choice for me. lol.

may I reciprocate and recommend you try a bottle of White Lightning Cider and for something more sophisticated, a bottle of Strawberry 20/20.

Alfresco Nov 16th 2011 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by In Exile (Post 9737679)
did you just recommend the teenage drink of choice for me. lol.

may I reciprocate and recommend you try a bottle of White Lightning Cider and for something more sophisticated, a bottle of Strawberry 20/20.

:D Thanks.

Alfresco Dec 17th 2011 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 9731685)
I'm bloody addicted to the stuff and its costing me a fortune...

Anyone got a recipe to DIY? I've got one of those dryer things that you can do trays of dried fruit in... Can I use that????

On the packet ingredients it says "spices"

What spices????

Can I quilt one?

Made any yet?

eddie007 Dec 18th 2011 11:02 am

Not yet.... Cant find me air dryer... i suspect the skip HE brought in for the garden reno... However it may be in the garage still...

Some one told me there was a saffa shop down this way... Anyone know where it is????

Pollyana Dec 24th 2011 1:22 pm

They are :wub: Couldnt work out what the taste was but its Worcester Sauce apparently...... I'm hooked!!

Alfresco Dec 24th 2011 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9805933)
They are :wub: Couldnt work out what the taste was but its Worcester Sauce apparently...... I'm hooked!!

Good innit. :D

Pollyana Dec 24th 2011 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 9806138)
Good innit. :D

:thumbsup:

Pollyana Dec 24th 2011 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 9737610)

Sherry and biltong stokkies all in ine Christmas,,,,,,but surreal but rather nice!!

:drinkwine:

Alfresco Jul 5th 2012 10:53 pm

Right, my dehydrator has finally arrived. (ordered last Monday) ;)

Gonna make some biltong/stokkies this weekend. :thumbup: