Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Bilingual people are smarter

Bilingual people are smarter

Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bilingual people are smarter

Originally Posted by chris955
Spanish possibly, i wouldnt imagine French would be much use outside of France. As i said with English being the most widely spoken languauge it would be very hard to narrow it down to the best second choice. This has nothing to do with broadening your horizons or the number of people who speak Mandarin it is to do with what second language would be most useful. Nothing to do with learning about another culture
It's not about best choice, most useful whatever. It is about using your BRAIN!

I give up...
You are so typically English in your outlook, you'll fit right in in Ibiza or the Dordogne.
When are you off again? Soon I hope.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:15 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

You really are a very offensive person, you are French arent you?

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
It's not about best choice, most useful whatever. It is about using your BRAIN!

I give up...
You are so typically English in your outlook, you'll fit right in in Ibiza or the Dordogne.
When are you off again? Soon I hope.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

French is still a diplomatic language, and is spoken in many places worldwide- the French had an empire and colonies just like Britain did.
My daughter is off to New Caledonia at Easter for a French immersion course where she will be staying with a host family and having lessons entirely in French during the day. She did this last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. She is also having conversation classes with a native French teacher and is starring in a play entirely in French. She also corresponds in French with an artist in France and is going to do some artwork for a game he is developing.

She is quite bright, unlike her mother, who has to dig up 35 year old French to converse with her to help her practise.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:20 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes exactly, it is the details you dont learn from a teacher that make your spoken language so much better. I actually started to learn Indonesian when i was at school, back then it was thought that Indonesian would help in business etc, in hindsight of course Mandarin would have been a better choice

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Most definitely. When I met my OH he had enough English to say things like "please turn light off - close door - you like this?"

Since having the kids and listening to me repeat the same damn things over and over again with prepositions, he now automatically says:
Please turn THE light off - close THE door - DO you like this? etc.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:24 pm
Banned

I dont doubt some others speak French, my whole point which seems to have been (deliberately) missed is that if an English speaker has to choose another language to learn what would it be seeing as English is pretty much the universal language around the world. Apart from Kevin Rudd I dont know anyone who speaks a second language

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
French is still a diplomatic language, and is spoken in
many places worldwide- the French had an empire and colonies just like Britain did.
My daughter is off to New Caledonia at Easter for a French immersion course where she will be staying with a host family and having lessons entirely in French during the day. She did this last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. She is also having conversation classes with a native French teacher and is starring in a play entirely in French. She also corresponds in French with an artist in France and is going to do some artwork for a game he is developing.

She is quite bright, unlike her mother, who has to dig up 35 year old French to converse with her to help her practise.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

You really are a very offensive person, you are French arent you?
Not offensive, arrogant! Get your stereotypes right!
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:34 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Yes exactly, it is the details you dont learn from a teacher that make your spoken language so much better. I actually started to learn Indonesian when i was at school, back then it was thought that Indonesian would help in business etc, in hindsight of course Mandarin would have been a better choice
This still begs the question though why some people get it -and so many don't.

I used my OH as an example before. He still lives in Italy but has picked up the little prepositions we use.

I have watched programmes like Gordon Ramsay Kitchen Nightmares and you can bet your boots that even though the Italian owner has lived in wherever for 20 bloody years he still says " ehii - turn off light ...... close cooker ..... mamma mia - you forget turn off gas."

Like somebody said - is it all about a good ear and pronunciation? I speak Italian very well. By all accounts people from the South can tell I'm from the North of Italy. I'm not of course. I just picked up their "twang". I know other UK people and as soon as they open their mouths you can tell they're Brits - even with brilliant Italian grammar and vocab.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

I dont doubt some others speak French, my whole point which seems to have been (deliberately) missed is that if an English speaker has to choose another language to learn what would it be seeing as English is pretty much the universal language around the world. Apart from Kevin Rudd I dont know anyone who speaks a second language
You either live in a VERY different Australia from mine, or you have your head in the sand... The majority of people I know, born and bred Australians most of them, speak a language other than English. That is one of the things I love about this country
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter chose French. That was what was offered at primary school, but she chose to continue it to IB level. She also did Latin later from Y7. She wants to learn Japanese and is teaching herself.
Some people have a love of languages and relish the opportunities to learn about different cultures. In Europe, French is very useful. Over here, Mandarin and Japanese would be better. However the school would not let her start Japanese, and now she is in Y11, won't let her continue Latin.

People with a good ear, often with musical abilities, make good learners of languages, and can more readily pronounce things correctly.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:44 pm
Banned

I think we are both right.

Not offensive, arrogant! Get your stereotypes right!
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:50 pm
Banned

My boys are learning Japanese at school, they both seem quite good at it to be honest. I dont personally know anyone that can speak another language. It reminds me of someone on one of these forums that said all his friends know all the words of the national anthem, how would you possibly know that?

My daughter chose French. That was what was offered at primary school, but she chose to continue it to IB level. She also did Latin later from Y7. She wants to learn Japanese and is teaching herself.
Some people have a love of languages and relish the opportunities to learn about different cultures. In Europe, French is very useful. Over here, Mandarin and Japanese would be better. However the school would not let her start Japanese, and now she is in Y11, won't let her continue Latin.

People with a good ear, often with musical abilities, make good learners of languages, and can more readily pronounce things correctly.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:51 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Is that true?

I think I have a good ear for music and although growing up I was in the choir etc - I was never brilliant at French at school. Not brilliant but never failed.

Now I know Italian so well I have asked myself why I can speak it like a native and other Brits can have all the grammar and vocab and still sound dead English.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:53 pm
Banned

Of course migrants from a non English speaking country will speak a second language. You obviously move in better circles than me, i dont know a single Australian that speaks a second language (that i am aware of).

You either live in a VERY different Australia from mine, or you have your head in the sand... The majority of people I know, born and bred Australians most of them, speak a language other than English. That is one of the things I love about this country
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
This still begs the question though why some people get it -and so many don't.

I used my OH as an example before. He still lives in Italy but has picked up the little prepositions we use.

I have watched programmes like Gordon Ramsay Kitchen Nightmares and you can bet your boots that even though the Italian owner has lived in wherever for 20 bloody years he still says " ehii - turn off light ...... close cooker ..... mamma mia - you forget turn off gas."

Like somebody said - is it all about a good ear and pronunciation? I speak Italian very well. By all accounts people from the South can tell I'm from the North of Italy. I'm not of course. I just picked up their "twang". I know other UK people and as soon as they open their mouths you can tell they're Brits - even with brilliant Italian grammar and vocab.
There is a thing called fossilisation in language acquisition theories. Very basically (going on what I remember from my psycholinguistic classes from almost 20 years ago ), it means that some people, most likely adult migrants, will learn the language of the country they moved to, but only to the point they need, eg. enough for their everyday or immediate needs, but will never really progress beyond that level. The level achieved will often be dependent on outside circumstances like whether they settle within their own linguistic communities, whether they need a high level for their job, etc.

There is of course a lot more to language acquisition than that, but fossilisation can explain the low levels of English in the first-generation Italian population in the USA. Often, those were people who had to leave their native country and learn a new language under difficult circumstances. It is probably quite different these days for the wealthy migrants, but it's still the same for refugees and people who are escaping from their country out of need rather than wanting to go for a different life experience like most of us on BE.

Other than that, acquiring a second language well is of course down to age, cognitive ability and more than likely a good ear for the sounds of the second language. I know of some people (the French are notorious for it ) who will consciously or not, never give up their accents, because it makes them different and for some that is a good thing. Others will be keen to blend in and try to mirror the accents around them.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Of course migrants from a non English speaking country will speak a second language. You obviously move in better circles than me, i dont know a single Australian that speaks a second language (that i am aware of).
You have missed the part in my post where I said

Born and bred Australian most of them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.