Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Bilingual people are smarter

Bilingual people are smarter

Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:57 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bilingual people are smarter

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
French is still a diplomatic language, and is spoken in many places worldwide- the French had an empire and colonies just like Britain did.
My daughter is off to New Caledonia at Easter for a French immersion course where she will be staying with a host family and having lessons entirely in French during the day. She did this last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. She is also having conversation classes with a native French teacher and is starring in a play entirely in French. She also corresponds in French with an artist in France and is going to do some artwork for a game he is developing.

She is quite bright, unlike her mother, who has to dig up 35 year old French to converse with her to help her practise.
You will notice many passports have French subtitles because of this.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:59 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I hate films with subtitles, all movies shoukd be made in English

Originally Posted by commonwealth
You will notice many passports have French subtitles because of this.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 10:19 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Most definitely. When I met my OH he had enough English to say things like "please turn light off - close door - you like this?"

Since having the kids and listening to me repeat the same damn things over and over again with prepositions, he now automatically says:
Please turn THE light off - close THE door - DO you like this? etc.
Has he always been that bossy in the bedroom?
Old Mar 21st 2012, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I don't speak a second language and haven't met any Australian's that do and only know a small number of Brits that do. I would like to have that skill, but feel it is too late for me now and haven't got the patience it would require to learn.

I tend to think that being able to speak more than one language is more a factor of opportunity to learn than how smart somebody is. An hour a week between the ages of 12 and 16 (like I had at school) really is not enough.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I hate films with subtitles, all movies shoukd be made in English
Somehow that doesn't surprise me. Is it because you can't read fast enough to follow the subtitles?

Unless it is The Artist or a silent movie from the 20s, I tend to think that the talking bit is at least half of the acting so I hate dubbed films. The French do that and it drives me nuts. TV series are the worst. I couldn't stand Friends in French back in the days. It took away so much from the humour and the personality quirks.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 10:58 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes same here, exactly the same in the UK. It seems to be very rare that people in either country that are born and bred in those countries know another language. I wouldn't mind knowing another language, just don't know which one

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I don't speak a second language and haven't met any Australian's that do and only know a small number of Brits that do. I would like to have that skill, but feel it is too late for me now and haven't got the patience it would require to learn.

I tend to think that being able to speak more than one language is more a factor of opportunity to learn than how smart somebody is. An hour a week between the ages of 12 and 16 (like I had at school) really is not enough.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 11:03 pm
Banned

Yes unfortunately I did most of my schooling here so reading wasn't a priority, luckily I finished school in England so I have managed to catch back up a little, I use the slo mo function.

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
Somehow that doesn't surprise me. Is it because you can't read fast enough to follow the subtitles?
Old Mar 21st 2012, 11:05 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Has he always been that bossy in the bedroom?
No.

To be honest it's usually me with the more demanding English. That's why he's learnt so many imperatives.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Unless it is The Artist or a silent movie from the 20s, I tend to think that the talking bit is at least half of the acting so I hate dubbed films. The French do that and it drives me nuts. TV series are the worst. I couldn't stand Friends in French back in the days. It took away so much from the humour and the personality quirks.
I reckon we watch more subtitled films than we do English language films, totally given up watching any movie on 7,10,9 and the only movies we watch are on SBS or ABC.

SBS is first class for films from all over the world.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

You have missed the part in my post where I said
Really, born and bred Aussies from anglo/Irish background speaking a foreign language?? whilst i believe there will be a percentage i would doubt very much it would be a large percentage, certainly no higher than in the UK.

I don't really buy into the English being arrogant at not learning a foreign language, it just came to be that English and probably to a large extent because of the Americans became 'Lingua Franca' and made it easy for them to get by without learning.
I am always suprised at how poor a very large percentage of young French people speak English and it must be very frustrating for them when they travel around the world.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by papilon
Really, born and bred Aussies from anglo/Irish background speaking a foreign language?? whilst i believe there will be a percentage i would doubt very much it would be a large percentage, certainly no higher than in the UK.

I don't really buy into the English being arrogant at not learning a foreign language, it just came to be that English and probably to a large extent because of the Americans became 'Lingua Franca' and made it easy for them to get by without learning.
I am always suprised at how poor a very large percentage of young French people speak English and it must be very frustrating for them when they travel around the world.
I never mentioned Anglo/Irish background. I have friends who were born here from migrant parents and who were still raised in their parents' main language. Does that not make them born and bred Australian . My children were born here, they are Australian citizens, yet they are bilingual. Again, as far as I am concerned, they are born and bred Australian.

I also never mentioned arrogance, just ignorance when it comes to the English and languages. The French are the champions of arrogance! Please give us our due! And believe me, I am also painfully aware of the French's shortcomings when it comes to learning a foreign language. Although that is rapidly changing and my generation and the younger ones are certainly much more aware of the world and the advantages of learning a foreign language. Even though a large part of the older generation still lament the loss of French as the world language from about 300 years ago!Napoleon has a lot to answer for

Of course we are all too aware that the dominance of English is mostly due to the dominance of the US on the global economic scene. Not much to do with Blighty and the Queen's English, more to do with the large number of people wanting to leave the mother land to find a better life in America all those years ago! I guess life was sweeter in France and not as many people wanted to leave to colonise the rest of the world
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 7:30 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by papilon
SBS is first class for films from all over the world.
tits on tap
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 7:35 am
Banned

Of course we are all too aware that the dominance of English is mostly due to the dominance of the US on the global economic scene. Not much to do with Blighty and the Queen's English, more to do with the large number of people wanting to leave the mother land to find a better life in America all those years ago! I guess life was sweeter in France and not as many people wanted to leave to colonise the rest of the world
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

I never mentioned Anglo/Irish background. I have friends who were born here from migrant parents and who were still raised in their parents' main language. Does that not make them born and bred Australian . My children were born here, they are Australian citizens, yet they are bilingual. Again, as far as I am concerned, they are born and bred Australian.

I also never mentioned arrogance, just ignorance when it comes to the English and languages. The French are the champions of arrogance! Please give us our due! And believe me, I am also painfully aware of the French's shortcomings when it comes to learning a foreign language. Although that is rapidly changing and my generation and the younger ones are certainly much more aware of the world and the advantages of learning a foreign language. Even though a large part of the older generation still lament the loss of French as the world language from about 300 years ago!Napoleon has a lot to answer for
If your talking about first generation immigrants from non English speaking countries then it is very normal for them to learn there parents native language and not really a skill as it was taught from childhood, same is happening in the UK.

I was not talking about the older French people but the young who i still consider to be very poor at the English language in general and is probably the reason you meet in relative terms so few of them when travelling around the world compared to most other European nationalities.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 8:04 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
tits on tap
I hate SBS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.