Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Best Restaurant in Sydney

The Best Restaurant in Sydney

Old Apr 14th 2009, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Best Restaurant in Sydney

Give me my local RSL club anyday........but I do love good seafood so it would be tempting

Originally Posted by yanH
Bloody hell! I'd hate to see what you'd call expensive.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 12:27 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Everyone is mentioning the more classy joints but a here's a couple of my faves:

The Oaks, Neutral Bay
The Vietnamese with the plastic tables opposite Woolies in Balmain (not for Sunday lunch but Monday 5pm is good)
Bistro Lulu - Oxford St
Bar reggios - Stanly Street, Darlinghurst (closed Sundays)
For when visitors come you cant beat the bar on top of the Shangri La - I also love the Tepanyaki behind there.

Actually I just did a really bad job of answering that question as none of them really suit the purpose! I would probably go for Quay if it were the evening and just snack and relax in the opera house bar in the day
Vivienne

Last edited by viviennef; Apr 16th 2009 at 12:30 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Generali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the rough

It's the thread that wouldn't die!!!
Old Apr 16th 2009, 9:19 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's an excellent thread and should be kept going

We're taking a friend to Lochiel House tomorrow, birthday treat.

BTW I've just started work in Chinatown and am having fun exploring lunch venues.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

I agree, this thread is fab.
Let us know about good lunch places Seasider!
We are going to the Opera House next week (first time woohoo) so will let you know if we get anything good to eat before.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 5:21 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by louie
Useful thread this. Can you all report back when you've had good meals please

Particularly you, Seasider, as we'll be in Kirribilli. I was going to try Sails last time I was out there, but hubby said he'd sort something out (for our 10th wedding anniversary). And he surpassed himself - we got a Sydney Seaplanes flying boat from Rose Bay up to the Cottage Point Inn. If you really want to push the boat out (pun intended!) then that or the Berowra Waters Inn would be fantastic and I'd be surprised if they weren't open for Sunday lunch.
Couple of recco's for Kirribilli would be Garfish and Stir Crazy. Very different to each other, Garfish upmarket without being stuffy serving fresh fish ideas. Stir Crazy started here in the shadow of the bridge and is great to grab a bench on the street and enjoy the noise and buzz.
Another alternative venue on the seaplane is Jonah's over looking Whale Beach. It ticks all the boxes if you have a solid gold pen.
Originally Posted by caliburn
"A Fish Called Coogee" on the Coogee Beach. Delicious seefood grills.... that was about 7 years back. Could still be worth a vist while you are on the beach.... don't let the cheaper prices and dilapidated look of this restaurant fool you.
Thumbs up here too for FCC. Not been for a couple of years but was as good as ever.

Why has no one mentioned Harry's Cafe de Wheels yet
http://www.nsw.nationaltrust.org.au/harryscafe.html
Old Apr 17th 2009, 9:50 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Garfish is one of my faves for a mid-price, spur of the moment place. Quite busy but we often call from ten minutes up the road when we've been out and about, and manage to get a table.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 11:11 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

If you like Korean food. Then you cant get any better than Medang on Pitt street. Its up a little alley. Fantastic and wher Koreans go to eat.(no dog on the menu)
Old Apr 17th 2009, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

Woolloomooloo (yes I had to look it up!) Bay Hotel

Wins hands down
Old Apr 18th 2009, 6:47 am
Auntie Fa

Originally Posted by seayork2002
Woolloomooloo (yes I had to look it up!)
It's easy! Sheep Toilet Cow Toilet.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 10:30 am
Auntie Fa

Just looking on this thread for inspiration for Sunday lunch and realised WOOHOO, it's been booked since October, and in 11 days I'm going to Tetsuya's. Just one question - I walk past it at least once a day (work round the corner on Liverpool Street) but where the bloody hell is the entrance? It always looks locked up when I go past, even in the evening.

Oh and Sunday lunch - any good new places, mid-range, good wine, suitable for a pescotarian? (Yeah I know; she says she's vegetarian but she does eat fish.)
Old Jun 30th 2009, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Generali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Seasider
Just looking on this thread for inspiration for Sunday lunch and realised WOOHOO, it's been booked since October, and in 11 days I'm going to Tetsuya's. Just one question - I walk past it at least once a day (work round the corner on Liverpool Street) but where the bloody hell is the entrance? It always looks locked up when I go past, even in the evening.

Oh and Sunday lunch - any good new places, mid-range, good wine, suitable for a pescotarian? (Yeah I know; she says she's vegetarian but she does eat fish.)
While we're on the subject of Sunday lunch, any good places for omnivores, mid-range, good wine, attractive waitresses.....? Preferably very central as I take the kids swimming in Ultimo on a Sunday. Inner West would do it too.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Was in the Sofitel Hotel on Phillip Street dining Friday gone and was very nice and excellently presented
Old Jun 30th 2009, 12:11 pm
Auntie Fa

Originally Posted by Generali
While we're on the subject of Sunday lunch, any good places for omnivores, mid-range, good wine, attractive waitresses.....? Preferably very central as I take the kids swimming in Ultimo on a Sunday. Inner West would do it too.
http://www.birdcowfish.com.au/
Old Jun 30th 2009, 12:13 pm
Auntie Fa

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Was in the Sofitel Hotel on Phillip Street dining Friday gone and was very nice and excellently presented
Well I dunno about the food but I like the sound of the Cloudy Bay Wine Flight!

http://www.sofitelsydney.com.au/dining-unique.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.