Banff, Canada

Old Feb 11th 2008, 12:44 pm
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banff, Canada

Last one
Attached Thumbnails Banff, Canada-img_3999.jpg  
Old Feb 11th 2008, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
Last one
Cool!

(Excuse the pun)
Old Feb 11th 2008, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

I have been there but we went in the summer time. We had a great time.

Hope you have a fab trip.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 2:45 pm
Up Around the Bend

penky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond repute

Well we had an absolutely fantastic time! Got back yesterday and feeling a bit jet lagged! But we absolutely loved it - loved Banff, loved the skiing/boarding and loved Canada. Definitely the best skiing/boarding we've ever done.

It was cold but totally manageable with the right clothes on (lots)! And it was fine when you were skiing (although bloody freezing on the chair lifts!). We skied in Norquay, Sunshine and Lake Louise. Even had a go at night skiing.

Also visited the natural hot springs which was worth doing - they were proper hot (40 degrees) which was funny with snow all around you.

Anyway, it's crap to be back, I just wish we were still there, we loved it! I'll try and attach some pics....

It looks like you had a lovely time , the hot springs were lovely from what I remember
Old Feb 11th 2008, 8:52 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you enjoyed it. It is truly my favourite place in the whole world.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

We're going skiing there next week, just wondered if anyone had been and whether you liked it? I can't wait! It's been nice having something to look forward to after Christmas. And we're not going to talk about the wedding or emigrating for the whole 10 days .

Now I've just got to hope I can remember how to ski.... it's been a long time
Greetings from canada. Looks like you had a fabulous time in Banff, hope you enjoyed the skiing and the canadian hospitality (and the cold weather didnt deter you too much.

Banff and area is truly one of the many wonders of the world. We love visiting there. My brother, husband and a few friends go there every year for a week of skiing.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Last one
Fabulous pic. Looks like you are having a blast even in the cold weather!
Old Feb 12th 2008, 8:44 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Canmore before it became a tourist mecca and worked at one of the hotels in Banff. My boyfriend at the time worked at Sunshine so we used to ski just about ever day off we had. I can remember clearly my 20st birthday sitting in the hot springs with snow falling on our heads. It's really fantastic, isn't it?

Glad you had a good time and enjoyed our Canadian hospitality. If you get a chance to go back to Canada, try to see something other than the western tourist spots. The eastern regions of Quebec are absolutely stunning, as is northern Ontario. I also lived for a couple of years north of Lake Superior in a very small (just over 100 people) town. The scenery on Lake Superior is some of the most stunning anywhere.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 1:27 pm
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I lived in Canmore before it became a tourist mecca and worked at one of the hotels in Banff. My boyfriend at the time worked at Sunshine so we used to ski just about ever day off we had. I can remember clearly my 20st birthday sitting in the hot springs with snow falling on our heads. It's really fantastic, isn't it?

Glad you had a good time and enjoyed our Canadian hospitality. If you get a chance to go back to Canada, try to see something other than the western tourist spots. The eastern regions of Quebec are absolutely stunning, as is northern Ontario. I also lived for a couple of years north of Lake Superior in a very small (just over 100 people) town. The scenery on Lake Superior is some of the most stunning anywhere.
Yeah it was absolutely fantastic, we really did love it. I'd really like to see more of Canada (this trip was about the skiing, but the bit of Canada we saw was stunning) so maybe another trip.... I'm wondering how far - well how long - it would take to get to Canada from Brissie... maybe we'll go back for another holiday one day.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 7:48 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on where you want to go. If you fly Qantas you can go direct from Bris to Vancouver and then get internal flights for cheap on one of the domestic airlines. I would personally stay away from Air Canada, but WestJet are great. The direct flights from Bris to Van takes about 14 hours. If you go through the US it's about 24 hours to Toronto.

If you want to see a fantastic place then I would fly to Montreal, stay a few days using the Metro for transport then rent a car and travel east. Quebec City is beautiful as is the rest of Quebec. You don't really need a lot of French, either. So long as you have a basic knowledge and try to speak it to the natives they'll usually speak English to you if they know how.

I would also visit Ottawa/Hull. The tour of the Mint is fun and so is the National Gallery. There's a really neat market behind Rideau Street where you can get really cheap fresh fruit and veg, have your palm read and then have a beautiful seafood dinner. You have to go across the bridge to Hull to see the National Museum. If you go in winter you can skate along the Rideau canal as well. A lot of people who work in the city skate to work. It's cool to see all the executives in their skates carrying their briefcases. You can also take a tour of the Parliament Buildings and go up to the top of the clock tower.

I know everyone wants to see Niagara Falls, but really, it's a PIT. The falls themselves are nice, but the city of Niagara Falls is dirty - just filled with tacky souvenier shops and crap museums (Ripley's, Madame Tousaude's, etc) The rest of the Niagara region is fairly nice, though. Niagara on the Lake is really nice. You'll find lots of wineries there. Go a little bit north about 3 hours to cottage country in the fall to see the best colour show you've ever seen. If you go in October you can go to the Bala cranberry festival on Thanksgiving weekend. It's neat to see the cranberry fields being flooded so the berries rise to the top and can be harvested.

Wow! I've rambled on a bit here. If you want to know any more, just let me know.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 8:52 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Originally Posted by Dorothy
It depends on where you want to go. If you fly Qantas you can go direct from Bris to Vancouver and then get internal flights for cheap on one of the domestic airlines. I would personally stay away from Air Canada, but WestJet are great. The direct flights from Bris to Van takes about 14 hours. If you go through the US it's about 24 hours to Toronto.

If you want to see a fantastic place then I would fly to Montreal, stay a few days using the Metro for transport then rent a car and travel east. Quebec City is beautiful as is the rest of Quebec. You don't really need a lot of French, either. So long as you have a basic knowledge and try to speak it to the natives they'll usually speak English to you if they know how.

I would also visit Ottawa/Hull. The tour of the Mint is fun and so is the National Gallery. There's a really neat market behind Rideau Street where you can get really cheap fresh fruit and veg, have your palm read and then have a beautiful seafood dinner. You have to go across the bridge to Hull to see the National Museum. If you go in winter you can skate along the Rideau canal as well. A lot of people who work in the city skate to work. It's cool to see all the executives in their skates carrying their briefcases. You can also take a tour of the Parliament Buildings and go up to the top of the clock tower.

I know everyone wants to see Niagara Falls, but really, it's a PIT. The falls themselves are nice, but the city of Niagara Falls is dirty - just filled with tacky souvenier shops and crap museums (Ripley's, Madame Tousaude's, etc) The rest of the Niagara region is fairly nice, though. Niagara on the Lake is really nice. You'll find lots of wineries there. Go a little bit north about 3 hours to cottage country in the fall to see the best colour show you've ever seen. If you go in October you can go to the Bala cranberry festival on Thanksgiving weekend. It's neat to see the cranberry fields being flooded so the berries rise to the top and can be harvested.

Wow! I've rambled on a bit here. If you want to know any more, just let me know.
Wow thanks Dorothy! Sounds well worth another visit then! Kind of wish we'd gone sooner so could have got another trip in before we left the UK, but still. Oh, and I LOVE the thought of business men skating to work!