Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Banana Palms in Queensland.

Banana Palms in Queensland.

Old Jul 23rd 2009, 12:13 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Banana Palms in Queensland.

Now having Googled this I'm none the wiser can anyone please enlighten me?

As far as I am aware it is illegal (?) to buy a Banana Palm in Queensland and plant it in your Back-yard, but O.K if it is pre-existing??? Obviously it is also unacceptable to bring one across the Border. Seems a bit odd to be banned for 'personal use' but not grow en mass for Supermarkets etc

Two Questions: Why exactly am I not allowed to buy a plant to put in my yard?

and How can I get my hands on one? lol! Anyone?

Jan
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banana Palms in Queensland.

This is QLD, need I say more?
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 12:29 pm
ABCDiamond

Restrictions on the movement and planting of banana plants are imposed to prevent the spread of serious banana diseases such as Banana Bunchy Top Virus, Black Sigatoka and Fusarium wilt (Panama Disease).

These diseases are present already in some parts of the State, and legislation is in force to prevent their movement to 'clean' areas thereby protecting the commercial banana industry.
You can apply for permission to plant them in residential areas, as long as you get an inspectors approval.

Old Jul 23rd 2009, 12:31 pm
ABCDiamond

Instructions on growing bananas in the home garden (south Queensland) available from http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/horticulture/5153.html

Queensland Primary Industries and Fisheries.

Old Jul 23rd 2009, 12:41 pm
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

I have 2 in my garden - My neighbour said some types are illegal and others ok - I think mine were planted before the law came out - no bananas yet though so may check out ABC's link - otherwise 2 banana palms free for anyone willing to come and dig them up!
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 12:55 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You can apply for permission to plant them in residential areas, as long as you get an inspectors approval.

Now why doesn't that surprise me!....bet I need a license too

Thank-you for the reason guys.....I wasn't sure if I was was having my leg pulled for a while! :0)
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 1:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

I looked into planting bananas in our garden a while ago and came across this web site:

http://www.backyardbananas.com.au/faq.html

The FAQ gives answers to your questions. You have to get the permit and then order your plant(s) from a approved nursery in your zone. The regulations are very strict on the types of bananas you can grow in each zone, and only up to 10 plants per property.

There are a few suckers coming out of the lady finger banana plants at our rental property. I'm very tempted to go and dig a couple of them out to put in our garden... hmmm, may be not...

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

ronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
You have to get the permit and then order your plant(s) from a approved nursery in your zone. The regulations are very strict on the types of bananas you can grow in each zone, and only up to 10 plants per property.

You need a permit to have banana plants I never heard that before. But just out of curiosity, why do you need a permit and why is it only restricted to 10 plants per property??
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 2:10 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ronan_in_Oz
You need a permit to have banana plants I never heard that before. But just out of curiosity, why do you need a permit and why is it only restricted to 10 plants per property??
It's so that when there's a cyclone in the North the unaffected growers in the South can drive up the prices to an exorbitant $25 bucks a kilo.
You couldn't do that if everyone grew their own so they have to protect their interests
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 2:18 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
This is QLD, need I say more?
I was just thinking this is Australia, end of
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

jimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ronan_in_Oz
this is why, but I wouldn't grow them,did once and was always full of dirty big spiders
Restrictions on the movement and planting of banana plants are imposed to prevent the spread of serious banana diseases such as Banana Bunchy Top Virus, Black Sigatoka and Fusarium wilt (Panama Disease). These diseases are present already in some parts of the State, and legislation is in force to prevent their movement to 'clean' areas thereby protecting the commercial banana industry.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebnatoli
I have 2 in my garden - My neighbour said some types are illegal and others ok - I think mine were planted before the law came out - no bananas yet though so may check out ABC's link - otherwise 2 banana palms free for anyone willing to come and dig them up!
Ive also got two and no bananas but I dont care. I just love dropping it into the conversation when talking to someone on the phone in Scotland. You always get a reaction.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 8:24 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan4kids
Now having Googled this I'm none the wiser can anyone please enlighten me?

As far as I am aware it is illegal (?) to buy a Banana Palm in Queensland and plant it in your Back-yard, but O.K if it is pre-existing??? Obviously it is also unacceptable to bring one across the Border. Seems a bit odd to be banned for 'personal use' but not grow en mass for Supermarkets etc

Two Questions: Why exactly am I not allowed to buy a plant to put in my yard?

and How can I get my hands on one? lol! Anyone?

Jan
http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/horticulture/5153.html

you can buy them for about 20 to 25 bucks a piece, we got ours from here
http://www.backyardbananas.com.au/
and they are tiny 30cm, but boy do they grow quick we planted four last spring with permission its just a one page form ( no cost ) and you`d swear you can see them grow, the biggest ones just flowered and its still opening up but a the mo theres about 60 bananas in the bunch
Attached Thumbnails Banana Palms in Queensland.-img_2309.jpg  
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 9:49 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by framac67
Ive also got two and no bananas but I dont care. I just love dropping it into the conversation when talking to someone on the phone in Scotland. You always get a reaction.
Quality I defo got to get one of those in the back garden for the conversation point alone.

However think i'll get them growing and then tell them on the phone that I,m eating Banana split in the garden that we have just picked

Dougie
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 11:56 pm
Jan4kids

Originally Posted by framac67

I think that would be part of the attraction for me also.....we are such a funny species aren't we? Moving to the Southern Hemisphere adds so many more (unbeatable) options to 'The keeping up with the Jones'' mentality

Thanks for the additional info too everyone....It doesn't sound that complicated after all

Jan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.