British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Banana Palms in Queensland. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/banana-palms-queensland-621759/)

Jan4kids Jul 23rd 2009 12:13 pm

Banana Palms in Queensland.

Now having Googled this I'm none the wiser :blink: can anyone please enlighten me?

As far as I am aware it is illegal (?) to buy a Banana Palm in Queensland and plant it in your Back-yard, but O.K if it is pre-existing??? Obviously it is also unacceptable to bring one across the Border. Seems a bit odd to be banned for 'personal use' but not grow en mass for Supermarkets etc :confused:

Two Questions: Why exactly am I not allowed to buy a plant to put in my yard?

and How can I get my hands on one? lol! Anyone?

Jan

Sally Simpson Jul 23rd 2009 12:18 pm

Re: Banana Palms in Queensland.

This is QLD, need I say more?;):lol:

ABCDiamond Jul 23rd 2009 12:29 pm

Restrictions on the movement and planting of banana plants are imposed to prevent the spread of serious banana diseases such as Banana Bunchy Top Virus, Black Sigatoka and Fusarium wilt (Panama Disease).

These diseases are present already in some parts of the State, and legislation is in force to prevent their movement to 'clean' areas thereby protecting the commercial banana industry.
You can apply for permission to plant them in residential areas, as long as you get an inspectors approval.

ABCDiamond Jul 23rd 2009 12:31 pm

Instructions on growing bananas in the home garden (south Queensland) available from http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/horticulture/5153.html

Queensland Primary Industries and Fisheries.

rebnatoli Jul 23rd 2009 12:41 pm

I have 2 in my garden - My neighbour said some types are illegal and others ok - I think mine were planted before the law came out - no bananas yet though so may check out ABC's link - otherwise 2 banana palms free for anyone willing to come and dig them up!

Jan4kids Jul 23rd 2009 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 7777200)
You can apply for permission to plant them in residential areas, as long as you get an inspectors approval.

Now why doesn't that surprise me!....bet I need a license too :rofl:

Thank-you for the reason guys.....I wasn't sure if I was was having my leg pulled for a while! :0)

JackTheLad Jul 23rd 2009 1:40 pm

I looked into planting bananas in our garden a while ago and came across this web site:

http://www.backyardbananas.com.au/faq.html

The FAQ gives answers to your questions. You have to get the permit and then order your plant(s) from a approved nursery in your zone. The regulations are very strict on the types of bananas you can grow in each zone, and only up to 10 plants per property.

There are a few suckers coming out of the lady finger banana plants at our rental property. I'm very tempted to go and dig a couple of them out to put in our garden... hmmm, may be not...

Cheers,
Mrs JTL

ronan_in_Oz Jul 23rd 2009 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by JackTheLad (Post 7777390)
You have to get the permit and then order your plant(s) from a approved nursery in your zone. The regulations are very strict on the types of bananas you can grow in each zone, and only up to 10 plants per property.

You need a permit to have banana plants :eek: I never heard that before. But just out of curiosity, why do you need a permit and why is it only restricted to 10 plants per property?? :confused:

cresta57 Jul 23rd 2009 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by ronan_in_Oz (Post 7777431)
You need a permit to have banana plants :eek: I never heard that before. But just out of curiosity, why do you need a permit and why is it only restricted to 10 plants per property?? :confused:

It's so that when there's a cyclone in the North the unaffected growers in the South can drive up the prices to an exorbitant $25 bucks a kilo.
You couldn't do that if everyone grew their own so they have to protect their interests:rolleyes::(

scottishcelts Jul 23rd 2009 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by sallyclaire (Post 7777178)
This is QLD, need I say more?;):lol:

I was just thinking this is Australia, end of :lol:

jimmyd4006 Jul 23rd 2009 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by ronan_in_Oz (Post 7777431)

this is why, but I wouldn't grow them,did once and was always full of dirty big spiders :frown:
Restrictions on the movement and planting of banana plants are imposed to prevent the spread of serious banana diseases such as Banana Bunchy Top Virus, Black Sigatoka and Fusarium wilt (Panama Disease). These diseases are present already in some parts of the State, and legislation is in force to prevent their movement to 'clean' areas thereby protecting the commercial banana industry.

framac67 Jul 23rd 2009 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by rebnatoli (Post 7777223)
I have 2 in my garden - My neighbour said some types are illegal and others ok - I think mine were planted before the law came out - no bananas yet though so may check out ABC's link - otherwise 2 banana palms free for anyone willing to come and dig them up!

Ive also got two and no bananas but I dont care.:unsure: I just love dropping it into the conversation when talking to someone on the phone in Scotland.:p You always get a reaction.:thumbup:

steve`o Jul 23rd 2009 8:24 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Jan4kids (Post 7777165)
Now having Googled this I'm none the wiser :blink: can anyone please enlighten me?

As far as I am aware it is illegal (?) to buy a Banana Palm in Queensland and plant it in your Back-yard, but O.K if it is pre-existing??? Obviously it is also unacceptable to bring one across the Border. Seems a bit odd to be banned for 'personal use' but not grow en mass for Supermarkets etc :confused:

Two Questions: Why exactly am I not allowed to buy a plant to put in my yard?

and How can I get my hands on one? lol! Anyone?

Jan

http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/horticulture/5153.html

you can buy them for about 20 to 25 bucks a piece, we got ours from here
http://www.backyardbananas.com.au/
and they are tiny 30cm, but boy do they grow quick we planted four last spring with permission its just a one page form ( no cost ) and you`d swear you can see them grow, the biggest ones just flowered and its still opening up but a the mo theres about 60 bananas in the bunch :eek:

Dougie Jul 23rd 2009 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by framac67 (Post 7777720)
Ive also got two and no bananas but I dont care.:unsure: I just love dropping it into the conversation when talking to someone on the phone in Scotland.:p You always get a reaction.:thumbup:

:lol: Quality I defo got to get one of those in the back garden for the conversation point alone.

However think i'll get them growing and then tell them on the phone that I,m eating Banana split in the garden that we have just picked :thumbsup:

Dougie :D

Jan4kids Jul 23rd 2009 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by framac67 (Post 7777720)

:rofl: I think that would be part of the attraction for me also.....we are such a funny species aren't we? Moving to the Southern Hemisphere adds so many more (unbeatable) options to 'The keeping up with the Jones'' mentality :o

Thanks for the additional info too everyone....It doesn't sound that complicated after all :cool:

Jan