Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Ban UK TV License - Petition

Ban UK TV License - Petition

Old Mar 18th 2008, 4:45 pm
In Perth & Loving it...

aus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud of
Default Ban UK TV License - Petition

Anyone, like me, hate the idea of paying for a UK TV License. I think it is disgraceful that in order to own a TV in this country you have to pay the BBC license fee. If you do not, you are branded a criminal.

Sign the petition here..

Details from the petition creator:

Independent economic research analysis and investigations by consumer protection organisations such as the National Consumers Council have consistently concluded, for many years, that the UK TV licence is a levy which is regressive in its financial impact on the poor. This gross iniquity is perpetuated in essence by the UK Government upon its most vulnerable citizens. This situation is even more outrageous in an age when the poor may receive only 5 terrestial TV channels, for which the TV licence contributes to the cost of only BBC output, yet the more wealthy within the UK tend to enjoy dozens, or even hundreds of digital or satellite TV channels at comparatively little extra cost to them per channel. This petition accordingly urges the Government to abolish the UK TV licence and allow the BBC to make use of all lawful, reasonable, modern means of capital and revenue generation including share issues, property equity stakes and loans and advertising on BBC TV, radio and internet broadcasts.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 4:49 pm
Handsome Internet Guy

Icarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ban UK TV License - Petition

well i dislike paying ..but then again how else would the BBC be funded ? through advertising ?

I like the BBC ,

if all goes well at my "interview" i could be the next Jeremy Pacman
Old Mar 18th 2008, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

burtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant future

"Don't steal, the government hates competition!"

Hah hah! I enjoy witty bumperstickers. I also am fond of:

"Bad cop, no donut!"

You have to agree, the only bumpersticker that would be true would read:

"BUMPER STICKERS ARE AN INEFFECTUAL MEANS OF COMMUNICATING MY NUANCED VIEWS ON A VARIETY OF ISSUES THAT CANNOT BE REDUCED TO A SIMPLE PITHY SLOGAN."

I'll sign the petition. The BBC needs to totally relax. Whats up with that anyway?
Old Mar 18th 2008, 4:59 pm
Handsome Internet Guy

Icarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond repute

My bumber sticker reads " No sandwiches are left in this van overnight "

its true .
Old Mar 18th 2008, 5:17 pm
In Perth & Loving it...

aus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Icarus
well i dislike paying ..but then again how else would the BBC be funded ? through advertising ?

I like the BBC ,

if all goes well at my "interview" i could be the next Jeremy Pacman
Why not? Everyone else does. If would be ideal if we could opt in to watch BBC channels. If we do opt in then we pay the license, at least then I have a choice. As it stands I have no choice. If I want to watch any channel I have to pay the BBC license fee.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 5:25 pm
Handsome Internet Guy

Originally Posted by aus2be_OH
Why not? Everyone else does. If would be ideal if we could opt in to watch BBC channels. If we do opt in then we pay the license, at least then I have a choice. As it stands I have no choice. If I want to watch any channel I have to pay the BBC license fee.
not keen on advertising paying for it , maybe with other revenue yes but not advertising .
Old Mar 18th 2008, 5:29 pm
In Perth & Loving it...

Originally Posted by Icarus
not keen on advertising paying for it , maybe with other revenue yes but not advertising .
Not too keen on advertising either but I would prefer that to being forced to paying the license just to get to watch any of the multitude of channels that are now available through SKY.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 11:05 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Ban UK TV License - Petition

Britain: the only democratic state in which you need government permission to watch TV.

Of course, your annual kickback to the government broadcaster helps to grease the wheels...

Although it does not cxplain why you are still not allowed to watch commercial TV without first paying the government.