Bali

Old Jun 18th 2013, 5:49 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bali

I stayed with some friends from the UK in Sanur at the end of April. It was delightfully cheap, free WIFI all over and the hussle and bussle was all rather enjoyable. The thing that was a real turn off was the traffic. We went from Sanur to Ulu watu temple and it took 3 hours there and 2 hours back. The roads were gridlocked - the actual distance is only about 20km. I didn't bother with any of the beaches as I don't think Aussie beaches can really be bettered but all the pools with the statues etc are delightful. If you like diving there is some good stuff too - Tulamben was the first black sand diving I've done and the colours were very different. Beautiful and vibrant. To go back again I'd go to Lombok or Gili Islands and stay remote from the busy areas... My friends went on to Komodo Island and did some trekking - they really enjoyed that.

On another note - never visit a Balinese hair dresser.....
Old Jun 18th 2013, 5:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
We just booked to go to Lombok as Jetstar are now doing direct from Perth.Just have to book somewhere to stay.
I saw that and it's good news

Now we need Air Asia to fly this route too in order to create some competition
Old Jun 18th 2013, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Better in the old days when it was hard going in a fashion with the necessity to take a boat across. Lombok looks about to become the latest off shore Perth bogan hangout.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 6:39 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Better in the old days when it was hard going in a fashion with the necessity to take a boat across. Lombok looks about to become the latest off shore Perth bogan hangout.
Flying there is not a new thing. When I was in Bali in 1994, you could fly to Lombok for about $50ow and there was a flight every 20mins
Old Jun 18th 2013, 6:53 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
. We went from Sanur to Ulu watu temple and it took 3 hours there and 2 hours back. The roads were gridlocked - the actual distance is only about 20km.
At least that's about 20k's...it took us 90 mins in a taxi from Seminyak to Legian!
Old Jun 18th 2013, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if I will like it,only way to find out is to go.I've picked Lombok in the hope that it will be a little bit quieter.To be honest we are just delighted to be finally getting a relaxing holiday.Four trips back to Ireland in seven years for two weddings and one funeral doesn't quiet do it for me.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 9:04 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I'm wondering what there is to see or do in Bali. Sounds people packed from what has been posted here. Is it good for a 2 week holiday ? I like to mix and match relaxing with having something of interest to see. Not into shopping.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 10:09 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Saw the thread title and decided to chim in
I used to live and work in Bali in Kuta hated it so was moved to Candidasa
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g3...li-Hotels.html

Can't say I would ever go back again to Bali full stop, although I have a Aussie friend who just moved there so never say never.

Candidasa is uppity but also run down in parts, but it was 1999 I lived there.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 10:21 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I'm wondering what there is to see or do in Bali. Sounds people packed from what has been posted here. Is it good for a 2 week holiday ? I like to mix and match relaxing with having something of interest to see. Not into shopping.
I'm sure there is plenty to do and see...in terms of the natural environment and cultural things...temples etc. I'd say the main problem is that while it might not look far on the map in Bali infrastructure terms a lot of these things are quite remote from the main tourist areas. Having said that your 2 weeks might work as a mix of relaxing at the beach/pool mixed in with day trips to see the sights. You can take tours or hire a car/driver for the whole day for about 50USD - bear in mind even though you've paid him he'll still try and take you to dire tourist trap restaurants where he gets a few thousand rupiah commission!

Most Bali repeat visitors I know would say that if you're going to go for much longer than a week they'd recommend spending some of the time in the Gili Islands or Lombok as mentioned above.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Tripadvisor is a good resource for what to do, but agree with bcworld it includes cultural activities eg temples, and eating and spas and other things specific to the locality you are visiting
Old Jun 21st 2013, 6:27 pm
My hovercraft is full of

Ballys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to behold
Default Gili

This does it for me.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Gili_Islands
Old Jun 21st 2013, 7:00 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

There are lots of unspoiled non tourist areas but you have to know where to look. Years ago the owner of the Bird Park took us right up into the mountains to his 'farm' and all you could see for miles was pristine jungle. I hate the touristy spots anywhere. Just ask some of the locals especially the cab drivers.