Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Advice on best wifi tablet for use overseas?

Advice on best wifi tablet for use overseas?

Old Jun 18th 2013, 2:02 pm
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold
Default Advice on best wifi tablet for use overseas?

Spot of advice needed from the gadget experts pretty please....

An old family friend (she's 80) wants to take her first step into the world of tablets. She has been recommended the ipad mini but I'm wondering if there's anything better for her out there.

She will only be using it for internet browsing and sending/receiving emails.

She will be totally reliant on free wifi hotspots both in the UK and she travels a lot to Canada and Australia so will need to be able to use it easily and cheaply whilst she's in either of those countries.

Any recommendations based on the above?

Thanks in advance x
Old Jun 18th 2013, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on best wifi tablet for use overseas?

Get something that runs 4G.

http://tablets.findthebest.com/saved...est-4G-Tablets

Samsung better than iPad for 4G.

"We were regularly getting speeds over 20Mbps with the Galaxy Tab 8.9 in the Sydney CBD while the best the new iPad, with a Telstra sim-card accessing HSPA+, could manage was double figures."

http://www.techguide.com.au/blog/101...g-tablet-title

Last edited by Alfresco; Jun 18th 2013 at 7:47 pm. Reason: Add info.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I quite like my iPad but I definitely would not get an iPad mini. Don't see the point of that, especially as she is older she might find the full size one easier to use, it's not exactly big and bulky.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 9:36 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peepster
Spot of advice needed from the gadget experts pretty please....

An old family friend (she's 80) wants to take her first step into the world of tablets. She has been recommended the ipad mini but I'm wondering if there's anything better for her out there.

She will only be using it for internet browsing and sending/receiving emails.

She will be totally reliant on free wifi hotspots both in the UK and she travels a lot to Canada and Australia so will need to be able to use it easily and cheaply whilst she's in either of those countries.

Any recommendations based on the above?

Thanks in advance x
Well, first off the iphone is getting called a 'granny phone' now, because the OS is so old and feature poor it's easy for your granny to use (that carries across to the ipad). However, connecting to free wifi spots negates this since its a pain in the **** no matter what OS you use. As such I'd take advantage of the cost benefit of Android.

Given the age, I would tend to go for a bigger 10 inch tablet. They aren't so convenient and portable, but they are a lot easier on old eyes, and easier to type on as well.

The travel component suggests something with GPS & maps. I'd also say that reading books with large print would be a use case. I also find that iplayer access is used, and you can get bluetooth<>hearing aid converters.

Obviously hyper resolution isn't exactly a prime requirement...

Hell, if I were looking, I'd probably be looking at something like the Aldi Tablet I'm about to take back - 10 inch screen, 3G, GPS - $249. Maxi ipads are a lot more expensive, not worth it.

If she doesn't get on with the on-screen keyboard you can get a bluetooth one for $20, or a case with a keyboard built in for similar.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 1:46 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

My MIL (72) has a Kindle Fire HD which has email and web access as well as a great reading screen. She uses glasses and travels and finds it an extremely convenient tablet and has no need of iPad or any other tablet. I think it cost her something like 250 quid back in UK.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 7:19 am
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

Thanks heaps guys I was thinking the Kindle Fire HD as it looks so easy to use and it just seemed pointless for her to fork out £300+ on an ipad when she'll never use the apps and when she could get a Kindle for £150. Have heard that they're very easy to use. But just wasn't sure about how easy they were to use abroad and whether she'd be faffing around with dongles and sim cards and stuff. So was thinking the Nexus 7?? If anyone else has some suggestions in the next few hours it would be great to hear as she's pootling down to John Lewis this arvo to buy something!

Thanks again x
Old Jun 19th 2013, 7:45 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

In that case the Fire wins hands down, my MIL is NOT tech savvy and was extremely confident using it in McDonalds WiFi spots and using my network. She never had a sim or dongle or anything.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 7:45 am
Social Grenade Thrower

As an addition to that, the Fire was so good and easy to use my wife wanted to buy one......but they don't do them in Oz!!
Old Jun 19th 2013, 7:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks heaps guys I was thinking the Kindle Fire HD as it looks so easy to use and it just seemed pointless for her to fork out £300+ on an ipad when she'll never use the apps and when she could get a Kindle for £150. Have heard that they're very easy to use. But just wasn't sure about how easy they were to use abroad and whether she'd be faffing around with dongles and sim cards and stuff. So was thinking the Nexus 7?? If anyone else has some suggestions in the next few hours it would be great to hear as she's pootling down to John Lewis this arvo to buy something!

Thanks again x

There is a new Nexus 7ii coming out soon. The current one doesn't have Gorilla glass. But it is a nice device.

Last edited by Alfresco; Jun 19th 2013 at 8:08 am.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 7:54 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Sorry, being a bit thick here, whats Gorilla glass??? Is it a new form of screen?
Old Jun 19th 2013, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by paddyo
Sorry, being a bit thick here, whats Gorilla glass??? Is it a new form of screen?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT8xI4PEU8c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhoF564nJ_Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3mhAVC6cBA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfgKLwGnOZs

Last edited by Alfresco; Jun 19th 2013 at 8:09 am.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 8:26 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again x
Nexus 7 beats Kindle Fire HD - every time.

Nexus 7 MkII is right around the corner. Much better device, roughly same price - I'd wait, unless you can get a very good deal on the old model.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
As an addition to that, the Fire was so good and easy to use my wife wanted to buy one......but they don't do them in Oz!!
230 bucks delivered.

Kindle HD...

http://www.techrific.com.au/product_...221#myshopping

Nexus 7 is cheaper delivered at 215 bucks approx... Looks better specs.

http://www.topbuy.com.au/tbcart/pc/A...TBLC-XX1029587

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 19th 2013 at 8:57 am.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 9:10 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
230 bucks delivered.

Kindle HD...

http://www.techrific.com.au/product_...221#myshopping

http://www.topbuy.com.au/tbcart/pc/A...TBLC-XX1029587
$215 is very cheap for a great tablet. I paid about $250 for mine and got the GST back at the airport
Old Jun 19th 2013, 9:17 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
As I say, there are some cheap deals, clearing stock ahead of the Nexu 7 MkII launch.

The MkII is likely to be a 1,920 x 1,200 (retina class), Snapdragon 600/S4 Pro, with an LTE option, and a rear camera.

Nexus 7 MkI was launched on 27 June last year .....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.