Bag searches

Old Apr 9th 2010, 6:07 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bag searches

Originally Posted by Pomster
Yes I know it has been done before but....

explain the logic in this.

I leave Big W, show them my bag.
Woman demands I show her my handbag as "it is A4 size". So if my handbag is smaller than A4 I am unlikely to be a thief, if it is bigger than A4, profiling shows I am 65pct more likely to be nicking stuff?

I had heard that razors are one of the most stolen items. If I was so inclined, I could stash several in my smaller handbag.

Next time they want to see my handbag I will tip the contents on the floor for them to rummage through- hopefully with my toilet training daughter's damp clothes in situ.....
I normally just reply really loudly, after the initial request "What do you mean, you want to see my One-Eyed Trouser Snake???". All bets are off normally by that point?
Old Apr 9th 2010, 6:46 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
I normally just reply really loudly, after the initial request "What do you mean, you want to see my One-Eyed Trouser Snake???". All bets are off normally by that point?
If people are going to search your bag you might as well get a laugh out of it. Carry a bag with half a dozen cane toads in it.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 9:31 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Dean - I'm not bothering any more. You're incapable of talking in a straight line, explaining what you're on about, and you keep addressing points that no-one has made. This is bugger all to do with statutory police powers or criminal law, which you may or may not know very well, and all to do with civil common law (specifically, conditional licences to use land and trespass to land and the person), which you evidently don't. I just CBF'd continuing.

"A wise man once told me never argue with a fool because people from a distance can't tell who is who". Probably good advice for both of us at this point.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 10:09 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Dean - I'm not bothering any more. You're incapable of talking in a straight line, explaining what you're on about, and you keep addressing points that no-one has made.
Well everybody else seems to understand so maybe you need to either learn how to read or improve your comprehension. And if you can't see the relevance of search powers in relation to bag searches, well...

Last edited by Deancm; Apr 9th 2010 at 10:39 am.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

BigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Zambia
Jesus that's shocking...

I would love to meet someone like that. It is never your task to prove your innocence in these cases.

In general if they are quick and glancing I don't mind the search but checking reciepts is a crock.
its bullshit innit
Old Apr 11th 2010, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

As for receipt checking, unless they are blessed with the skills of Carol Vorderman, then they are probably (quickly) looking for large value items which you could easily hide.

Bunnings do this, in fact, I now remember.

Originally Posted by James516
The confounding factor in all of this is that some posters clearly look like shoplifters.
I reckon in some cases, if a person is dreading the search that you might be warmer than you realise.

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Precisely ... think of the children ... think of those poor <insert natural disaster victims here> ... think of the people that still have CRT TVs ... think of people that have just bought HUGE TVs and now feel compelled to get something with "3D" ... actually, laugh at them ... THINK of anyone that has just bought an iPad and then discovered it can't connect to their Wi-Fi network and replacing a dodgy battery will cost them a kidney ... think, if you will, of the poor sods that get by without Foxtel ... the humanity, the suffering, sometimes it is all too much to bear.
Class.

Originally Posted by kporte
I've been "bagged" in Kmart a couple of times and once in Big w. Know what I do? I smile, say no problem and ask how their day has been. I see no reason to give someone being paid $15 an hour, a hard time for doing their job. Maybe some of you should direct your indignation at the right target next time?
Indeed.

Now anyone who has been 'tea-bagged' has the right to be indignant, but only if the footage gets into the public domain..
Old Apr 11th 2010, 2:21 pm
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

What pissed me off about bag searches was being twenty-six and being informed at the supermarket that ‘all schoolkids get their bags searched’. Even after producing my ID to prove my age I was the only person in my group who got the criminal treatment.

That was Coles. I haven't been back.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SNH
What pissed me off about bag searches was being twenty-six and being informed at the supermarket that ‘all schoolkids get their bags searched’. Even after producing my ID to prove my age I was the only person in my group who got the criminal treatment.

A small price to pay to be blessed with eternal youth? People who get fustrated looking younger than their years often end up having the last laugh.

I hope that there is a Safeway, or IGA nearby!
Old Apr 11th 2010, 11:24 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SNH

I'd be shopping there every day if it happened to me

::flashback::

Ahhh those happy days, shopping in Tescos, asking the young man behind the till if he'd like to see my id as I was purchasing alcohol.. and Himself piping up 'are you trying to show your bus pass again dear?'

He made a great recovery, although he did complain about having to eat liquidised food for a while.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 3:07 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
If people are going to search your bag you might as well get a laugh out of it. Carry a bag with half a dozen cane toads in it.
You could up the stacks and carry a Taipan in your bag.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 7:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
You could up the stacks and carry a Taipan in your bag.
Don't give me ideas!!
Old Apr 14th 2010, 7:37 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Don't give me ideas!!
It's perhaps taking it a bit far....but a rubber snake would actually be quite funny!

I saw some very convincing red bellies in the Australia Zoo shop at Mooloolaba.

Hmmmm.