Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Back in the UK and having doubts about emigrating

Back in the UK and having doubts about emigrating

Old Mar 9th 2008, 5:41 am
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back in the UK and having doubts about emigrating

Originally Posted by helen roberts
Hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone else feels this way...just returned from the most fantastic reccie/ holiday in Oz. Went to Melbourne, Perth and Brisbane and pretty much decided that we would LOVE to live in Mindarie, north of Perth. We came back to the UK to sell our house, totally set on our move and I then, inexplicably, began to have doubts. I can't even really put my finger on the reason but I went to view a house in Redditch (where we live) the other day! Perhaps it's just an awareness of the distance involved, or maybe it's just part of the whole, emotional process? Perhaps these doubts will lead to a more realistic view of what it means to emigrate (before I thought it would just be amazing and I didn't even give the homesickness thing a second thought!) Anyone else felt the same?

Thanks

Helen
Redditch have a look at the south coast Dorset or Cornwall before you decide seriously,you might find you aint got to go so far.

Last edited by Backhomeatlast; Mar 9th 2008 at 5:44 am.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

helen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nice

Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom.

Redditch isn't that bad by the way!

Helen

Originally Posted by Backhomeatlast
Redditch have a look at the south coast Dorset or Cornwall before you decide seriously,you might find you aint got to go so far.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 7:04 am
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

Helen
I honestly would have a look around the south coast though, I moved to Oz and found I did not like it and wasted thousands, can you possibly do a reccie before making a decision?
Old Mar 9th 2008, 7:08 am
Just Joined

davidleonard1983 is a jewel in the roughdavidleonard1983 is a jewel in the roughdavidleonard1983 is a jewel in the roughdavidleonard1983 is a jewel in the rough

Old Mar 9th 2008, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

helen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nice

We did a reccie - just come back. Found that Melbourne wasn't really for us but we did really like Perth and thought Brisbane was pretty nice too (I know you didn't like Perth!!) For us, we're happy it's relatively boring - with young children we're after simple things: good parks, beautiful beaches and a safe place to bring them up in. We found a suburb called Mindarie, which we loved. It's only since coming back and seeing my friends I have had doubts.

Helen

Originally Posted by Backhomeatlast
I honestly would have a look around the south coast though, I moved to Oz and found I did not like it and wasted thousands, can you possibly do a reccie before making a decision?
Old Mar 9th 2008, 7:37 am
Banned

We did a reccie - just come back. Found that Melbourne wasn't really for us but we did really like Perth and thought Brisbane was pretty nice too (I know you didn't like Perth!!) For us, we're happy it's relatively boring - with young children we're after simple things: good parks, beautiful beaches and a safe place to bring them up in. We found a suburb called Mindarie, which we loved. It's only since coming back and seeing my friends I have had doubts.

Helen
I think you have definatly done the right thing with a reccie first, i went out blind and wish I had visited first and saved myself time and thousands
Old Mar 9th 2008, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

posh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the rough

Helen

Hi Helen,

glad u enjoyed ur time out their. met u on the meet in Dec. we all have doubts i did as soon as i got back from a hols 7 yrs ago especially with friends and family, but here i am obviously 7 yrs l8r and going in may. took a long time to make my mind up, but the point i'm making is I'm going. Just go for it if u dont like it u can always come home but do u want to be in ur 80's telling ur grandchildren the regrets u have in life and OZ being one of them.

Diane & Mic
Old Mar 9th 2008, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute

To some degree I imagine everyone gets 'voices'. Last year when we sold our
house I was so excited, and then on the day of moving out I had the biggest sense of dread I can't tell you, I just felt that we were making the worse decision of our lives and the feeling of dread and panic was enough to make me physically sick. I was really heartbroken the last time I walked out of the door and felt my life was over. Luckily that feeling didn't last long and just 10 days later we were on the plane to our new life
S xx
Old Mar 9th 2008, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theone
we have 5 horses and go riding on the beach most days, a shed that will hold my fishing boat ,landcruiser, horse box and ten cars.the opportunities are great, why wouldn't you just leave and get out of the rat race, live the ozzy dream, you only get one shot in life, you could be worm food tommorow. .
Is your name Elton John by any chance?
Old Mar 9th 2008, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

theone will become famous soon enough

why does everyone visit australia and head for the major cities to start a new life,like who would want to live in a city in the uk never mind traveling half way around the world,to go and live in a city in a different country,yeh its handy to be within traveling distance,but i moved out here for some space,theres a million and one major towns with very good facilities within traveling distances of cities,if you need that city thing.thats another reason why i thought a reccy was pointless as you dont get to see the place, its like traveling to europe and stopping in london for a few days,then flying to paris,then to milan or something and going back home thinking you had seen everything in europe.....pointless,but each to there own, i'm here, i'm happy and i am not really bothered about visiting the uk, ive been to every country in europe,my family and friends haven't been to australia or asia or the the west coast of america, why pay for a flight to the uk when there's so much to see here.
my brother and sister in law are coming over to visit for a month,we are going to meet them in california,then fly back to australia with them.
if your going to spend the rest of your life wondering what your family and friends are doing back in the uk,i would stop there as it wont work for you, you will end up moving back.................you only get one shot in life so live it............good look with everything
Old Mar 9th 2008, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

we have 5 horses and go riding on the beach most days, a shed that will hold my fishing boat ,landcruiser, horse box and ten cars..

10 cars !! good grief

Nicky
Old Mar 9th 2008, 5:17 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

why does everyone visit australia and head for the major cities to start a new life
because most jobs are in and around major cities.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute

Helen
Hey Helen

I moved over to Oz from Redditch 4 years ago (used to live in Rochester Close off Feckenham Road) and I agree that Redditch is not that bad......but nothing compared to living here.

I thought your opening post was brilliant and I am sure that many many of us felt the same way about moving half way round the world. I hope you make the right decision for you and your family.

Sharon
Old Mar 9th 2008, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

.i got a job in the oil and gas industry within 3wks on double the money i was on in the uk $120k,we own 5 acres of land and we are having our own house built at the moment, 5 times bigger than my uk one. we have 5 horses and go riding on the beach most days, a shed that will hold my fishing boat ,landcruiser, horse box and ten cars..
we're on about the same income as you and there's no way we can afford five horses, boats and ten cars. interesting how everything is x 5 - your land, the size of your house, five horses etc etc.
quote: "just do it, don't worry what everyone else thinks,think of the future of your kids,living in the uk, without a job or a house as they can't afford one."
much the same as here then. it has a housing affordabilty issue worse than the uk. http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...03/2177626.htm
Old Mar 9th 2008, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Sharon

I quite agree that Redditch isn't a patch on some of the beautiful places in Oz!! We did find this gorgeous suburb just north of Perth called Mindarie, which we loved. The first day we were there we walked around saying we could live there.

Glad you love Oz and I'm sure I'll be one of the ones on this forum in a few months time telling everyone else that they should go for it too!

Oh, and just a quick general note to say we too have to be near a major city because my husband's in IT. He'll probably be working for IBM so not sure how many offices there are in the countryside!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

Helen

Originally Posted by BandS
Hey Helen

I moved over to Oz from Redditch 4 years ago (used to live in Rochester Close off Feckenham Road) and I agree that Redditch is not that bad......but nothing compared to living here.

I thought your opening post was brilliant and I am sure that many many of us felt the same way about moving half way round the world. I hope you make the right decision for you and your family.

Sharon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.