Back in the UK and having doubts about emigrating

Wikiposts

Back in the UK and having doubts about emigrating

Old Mar 10th 2008, 11:23 am
Just Joined

theone will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Back in the UK and having doubts about emigrating

Originally Posted by rabsody
we're on about the same income as you and there's no way we can afford five horses, boats and ten cars. interesting how everything is x 5 - your land, the size of your house, five horses etc etc.
quote: "just do it, don't worry what everyone else thinks,think of the future of your kids,living in the uk, without a job or a house as they can't afford one."
much the same as here then. it has a housing affordabilty issue worse than the uk. http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...03/2177626.htm
i dont want to get into an argument or anything but most people i know whom have left the uk recently have been able sell there property in the uk to move to australia,buy a much larger property and live mortgage free, i sold my tiny house in the lakes for over a million dollars
Old Mar 10th 2008, 4:32 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theone
i dont want to get into an argument or anything but most people i know whom have left the uk recently have been able sell there property in the uk to move to australia,buy a much larger property and live mortgage free, i sold my tiny house in the lakes for over a million dollars
aye right
Old Mar 11th 2008, 7:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rabsody
we're on about the same income as you and there's no way we can afford five horses, boats and ten cars. interesting how everything is x 5 - your land, the size of your house, five horses etc etc.
quote: "just do it, don't worry what everyone else thinks,think of the future of your kids,living in the uk, without a job or a house as they can't afford one."
much the same as here then. it has a housing affordabilty issue worse than the uk. http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...03/2177626.htm
sold my house in the uk for a million dollars
Old Mar 11th 2008, 7:09 am
Just Joined

yeh 700k pounds when i was getting 2 and a half dolars to the pound almost, last february
thats what you pay for a 4 bed detached house in bowness on windermere and i am now earning a third of the money i was on in the uk as an instrument engineer on the oil rigs off norway.so i made my cash early on in life,see

Last edited by theone; Mar 11th 2008 at 7:19 am.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Crayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by theone
I would not have any doubts about living in Australia, i am close to my family,my 2 boys were in the same class at school as my sisters,(my girl was too young for school at the time)i left my job and sold my small detached house in the uk last february,we didn't do a reccy trip, we thought the reccy money would pay for half of a new car or something,we got state sponsorship and a permanent residency visa,subclass 137,i packed my wife,three young kids ,4,6 and 8 on a plane and we arrived in melbourne.i got a job in the oil and gas industry within 3wks on double the money i was on in the uk $120k,the kids settled in really well,they love the fresh air,the days on the beach,they have made loads of friends,there school is great,there is no bullying. we own 5 acres of land and we are having our own house built at the moment, 5 times bigger than my uk one. we have 5 horses and go riding on the beach most days, a shed that will hold my fishing boat ,landcruiser, horse box and ten cars.the opportunities are great, why wouldn't you just leave and get out of the rat race, live the ozzy dream, you only get one shot in life, you could be worm food tommorow. i miss people, anyone who is normal wouldn't, but you realise whom your real friends are, we speak to family every week on skype,do the web cam thing and at the end of the day, we are only a flight away. get out here,there are climates to suite anyone, we get a bit of rain, but nothing like the uk. you will have no regrets,weve made loads of friends both australian and english........................just do it, don't worry what everyone else thinks,think of the future of your kids,living in the uk, without a job or a house as they can't afford one.
Mate, it's fine that you're trying to encourage her to go out to Oz, but there is no need to start the UK slagging. The UK is one of the best places in the world for jobs, so the first reason you gave is invalid. If that was not the case you wouldn't get so many young and well educated aussies heading here. Houses in the UK can be pricey but wages are higher.

I think it is important to stress that some people will prefer Australia, others will prefer the UK. You seem to categorically state that oz is superior, which is ridiculous. Family and friends are probably more important than material possessions than "the beach" (which many brits seem to give as a reason for moving out there) to your happiness... Think seriously about emigrating before you do it. There are so many people who regret it. I don't mean to put the initial poster off, merely urge caution...