Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australian movie to watch?

Australian movie to watch?

Old May 30th 2009, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of
Default Australian movie to watch?

What are the best Australian movies that
1. Portray australian lifesytle, landscape, outback, etc
2. Are famous
3. Are not sadistic (as wolf creek) and crime related

I have seen Apocalypto, Holy Smoke, Crocodile Dundee, Wolf Creek, etc

Any other must see Oz film?
Old May 30th 2009, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Leedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Australian movie to watch?

Have you seen The Castle or Strange Bedfellows? Both are comedies.
Old May 30th 2009, 8:45 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
2. Are famous
Beats me

The mad Max series?.....but they were awful.

G
Old May 30th 2009, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

I heard of "The Castle", will see it.
Old May 30th 2009, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

The Castle (as mentioned before)
Kenny
Strictly Ballroom
Pricilla Queen of the Desert
Muriels Wedding

All comedies and all very funny films (IMO)
Old May 30th 2009, 8:59 am
ABCDiamond

The best Australian movies that portray Australian lifestyle ?

Hmmm... not sure just how close to real life those ones are...

Old May 30th 2009, 9:02 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The best Australian movies that portray Australian lifestyle ?

Hmmm... not sure just how close to real life those ones are...
'Priscilla, Queen of the desert' comes close though.....so does Mad Max.
Old May 30th 2009, 9:14 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

The Castle and The Dish are both excellent movies.
Old May 30th 2009, 9:17 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Hutch
The Castle and The Dish are both excellent movies.
So is 'crackerjack'.

G
Old May 30th 2009, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

blackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the rough

We of the Never Never, I thought this was really good film
Old May 30th 2009, 11:40 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
So is 'crackerjack'.

G
But Blackball is better.

Sorry OP. To avoid confusion Blackball is a Brit film. It's just that Blackball and Crackerjack are about bowls.
Old May 30th 2009, 11:44 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
But Blackball is better.

Sorry OP. To avoid confusion Blackball is a Brit film. It's just that Blackball and Crackerjack are about bowls.
Not seen Blackball but liked Crackerjack......I assume they are similar??

G
Old May 30th 2009, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
Not seen Blackball but liked Crackerjack......I assume they are similar??

G
Only really that they are based on bowls. The hero of crackerjack didn't know he was good at bowls whereas the hero of Blackball can play but comes from the wrong side of the tracks. The stories have some similarities but it's really only the bowls.

I can fully recommend Blackball and I think you might want to get your England flag out when you watch it

Crackerjack is funny but Blackball is funnier.
Old May 30th 2009, 12:04 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by MartinLuther

I can fully recommend Blackball and I think you might want to get your England flag out when you watch it
Sounds good to me.

I will look out for it.

G
Old May 30th 2009, 12:11 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
What are the best Australian movies that
1. Portray australian lifesytle, landscape, outback, etc
2. Are famous
3. Are not sadistic (as wolf creek) and crime related

I have seen Apocalypto, Holy Smoke, Crocodile Dundee, Wolf Creek, etc

Any other must see Oz film?
don't they all contradict each other?

The only one I can think of outside that list is Rabbit Proof Fence

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.