The Australian Flag

Old Jan 21st 2007, 7:52 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Australian Flag

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
organisers would like to request that fans please leave their flags at home."
[/indent]

Sounds like they've banned it to me.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 8:25 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

The flag has been banned from this venue.

This is offensive to the good people out there who are proud to be Australian and wish to fly the Australian flag. Why assume the majority of flag wavers are going to be anti social when in fact it's usually the minority who cause all the problem?

Once again emotion means nonsense decision making.

Instead of managing the few, lets penalise the majority.

PC madness
Old Jan 21st 2007, 8:37 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

A countries flag is a national symbol of their country. If some immigrants in Australia get offended by seeing Ozzie flags being paraded perhaps they should bugger off to a country where their choice of flag is flown.

As a migrant I believe that you dont belong here if you are unwilling to have some pride in the countries flag.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
A countries flag is a national symbol of their country. If some immigrants in Australia get offended by seeing Ozzie flags being paraded perhaps they should bugger off to a country where their choice of flag is flown.

As a migrant I believe that you dont belong here if you are unwilling to have some pride in the countries flag.
I don't think it's to do with immigrants being offended, rather that flag-waving has come to be associated with racist, violent lowlifes - to the extent that other people are now being asked to avoid carrying flags.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 8:53 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Ban the concert.
I'm tempted to agree with that one!!!
Old Jan 21st 2007, 9:34 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
I don't think it's to do with immigrants being offended, rather that flag-waving has come to be associated with racist, violent lowlifes - to the extent that other people are now being asked to avoid carrying flags.

Its fine to have a culturaly diverse country but if you are a migrant living in Australia and enjoying life here shouldnt you have some pride in seeing the nations flag flying ?

If Australian's are told to not carry their own flag in their own country where are they supposed to wave it ? Only outside of Australia ?
Old Jan 21st 2007, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

jon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of light

Bit of an odd one really, isn't it?
I mean, how can the waving of a flag be aggressive in itself? Surely for such an act to become intimidatory it must be accompanied by some other actions/behaviour which is aggressive.
It seems to me that the organisers are going after the wrong end of the problem. Surely it makes more sense to target those likely to cause trouble and to come down hard on those that go on to cause trouble rather than banning an inanimate object??!!
Old Jan 21st 2007, 11:41 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

But...

The problem, as I see it, is that the Australian flag still has a Union Jack in the corner.

This allows the racist element use it out of context - in that some of those with British or Irish ancestry believe themselves to be real Aussies, and those of different backgrounds somehow lesser or non-authentic. (Lets not get too complicated - way back when, the whole of Ireland was British).

This is similar to the BNP using the Union Jack in their slogans/literature, and so on.

When South Africa chaged its flag, it removed the Union Jack, the Orange Free State and the Transavaal mini-flags, as they were associated with its white European past. To become a forward-looking "rainbow nation", it adopted a flag that was more representative of the people who lived there right then. Which makes sense, though I'm still not sure about the aesthetics of the design, but anyhow...

I can't see these ridiculous situations going away until this country gets its act together, becomes a republic, appoints a president and gets a new flag.

Big.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

It is simply a marketing excercise, and it has worked very well. The Big Day Out have had fantastic publicity out of this.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 12:48 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenandPam
It is simply a marketing excercise, and it has worked very well. The Big Day Out have had fantastic publicity out of this.
That was my first thought on seeing the news this morning, too!

Now there'll be lots of flag waving and lots of talk about how Aussies aren't going to be dicatated to (whether by the PC mob or anyone else). Pawns in a bigger game.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 12:57 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Pawns in a bigger game.
prawns on a bigger barbie?
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 1:12 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
prawns on a bigger barbie?
With garlic butter? <Drool>
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 1:20 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Geordie George
With garlic butter? <Drool>
we've forgotten what the issue was already
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 1:21 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Originally Posted by gedge
we've forgotten what the issue was already
Today's news is tomorrow's chip-papers.

I must be hungry ...
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 3:13 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: The Australian Flag

Scrap flag condition or cancel BDO, says Govt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.