Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australia - Try before you buy.......

Australia - Try before you buy.......

Old Apr 29th 2009, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Australia - Try before you buy.......

Originally Posted by mohogony
Yes some people almost seem to think theres a guy from OZ immigration waiting for them at the airport when they arrive saying " welcome to paradise" and handing out the keys to a $1.5m mansion on the beach with a pool and a luxury car with a boat on tow and a cheque for million bucks so they don't have to work and spend all day at the beach.
So Centurian, how is this not posting agreement or moral support???
It goes both ways you know.

Please note: No offence to Mohogony intended.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 6:36 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Your right about Queensland not being multicultural, they even hate people from other states of OZ , they call VICtorians mexicans and say they come across the border and take their jobs so coming from another country might make you unpopular.
Bit of a sweeping generalisation isn't it I live in north qld and its plenty multicultural up here, we have met people from all over the world including different parts of australia, without a pick of bother. On the whole and with a few exceptions its the australians who have welcomed us most with open arms and haven't been able to do enough for us, even the australians we have met from different states get on with each other.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Even if the OP is a wind up it's brilliant.

It's got to be one of the all time classic posts on BE.

Everything that could have gone wrong seems to.

"only one cuddle per child" LOL thats hysterical !!

If there is a TV producer out there, use this content for xsakes ! Perhaps even follow this family around..... if they truly exist....

Some bugger has come in from left of center and knocked Arkon at his most calamitous, straight out of the water. Pity Arkon never thought of the Police as an angle.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

ChickChock is a jewel in the roughChickChock is a jewel in the roughChickChock is a jewel in the roughChickChock is a jewel in the rough

Gee thanks you guys for your kind words of support, just for your information, we did not expect to arrive at the airport, get picked up in a limo driven to a mansion on the beach.

I am glad so many of you find our experience so amusing, try going to court for 6 months watching you child fathers faily in tears, the heartbreak of the possibility we might lose our children, having your home inspected like some child abuser, hoping your kids wont hate you for taking them away from everything they know and love. Having you parents disown you for 2 years because you want a so called better life for you children.very amusing haha.

We were hoping to relocate our family to a place where yeah it is similar to uk in many aspects, you still have to work, school etc..

We did not want a mansion with a pool, we were prepared to downsize to an apartment if needed.

We knew that jobs were limited, hubbs aussie friend told him this was the case, and it wasnt the lack of jobs that put us off, it was the wage $15 an hour?

yeah i will admit EVERY australian we came accross was not that bad, but our of everyone we met, there were 3 people that i can say were truly welcoming.

Obviously weather is hot, be stupid to think otherwise of australia, but i was stating it was too uncomfortable for hubby to work outdoors.

But why oh why would we move to the other side of the world to be financially worse off, miss family and friends, be treated bad by racist aussies, get ripped off for most things , blah bah etc ...

HUTCH - its people like you that gave us the opinion of aussies/locals.

Quote:
mohogony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch
Don't want to speak for everybody else, but personally I couldn't give a shit if they liked it or not. My hilarity (and it's nothing more than that) stems from the OP's use of such phrases as, "Australia was the promised land", "We were told we would get free medical care", "Gone are the days where you can get a massive bungalow with a pool", "It is not the promise land where you can stroll along the beach all day," (my personal favourite), "Hubby got arrested for breaking up a fight" and the fact that I have never before witnessed such over-inflated expectations of a country.

I don't hate the UK, but it's no more utopia than Australia is.

Yes some people almost seem to think theres a guy from OZ immigration waiting for them at the airport when they arrive saying " welcome to paradise" and handing out the keys to a $1.5m mansion on the beach with a pool and a luxury car with a boat on tow and a cheque for million bucks so they don't have to work and spend all day at the beach.

- EVEN IF THIS WAS THE CASE WE STILL WOULDNT MOVE TO OZ (AND THE CAPITALS WERE NOT A TYPO)

HUTCH - your so happy with your life in oz that you spend most of your time attacking peoples opinions on here, shouldnt you be enjoying the outdoor life?
And i will say it for you... "Australia is better of you not being here, how lucky we are, blah,blah......
Old Apr 29th 2009, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

tuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nice

Your right about Queensland not being multicultural, they even hate people from other states of OZ , they call VICtorians mexicans and say they come across the border and take their jobs so coming from another country might make you unpopular. But l think if you can't find work or afford a good house or don't earn enough so you can't afford to pay the bills you are bound to be unhappy in OZ and want to move home.

We have jobs, can pay the biills and in time could have a large house but wouldn't want it as we have noone here that really matters to enoy it with

I think it goes further than money with the OP, i think that Oz just wasn't for them.....
Old Apr 29th 2009, 7:15 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChickChock
Gee thanks you guys for your kind words of support, just for your information, we did not expect to arrive at the airport, get picked up in a limo driven to a mansion on the beach.

I am glad so many of you find our experience so amusing, try going to court for 6 months watching you child fathers faily in tears, the heartbreak of the possibility we might lose our children, having your home inspected like some child abuser, hoping your kids wont hate you for taking them away from everything they know and love. Having you parents disown you for 2 years because you want a so called better life for you children.very amusing haha.

We were hoping to relocate our family to a place where yeah it is similar to uk in many aspects, you still have to work, school etc..

We did not want a mansion with a pool, we were prepared to downsize to an apartment if needed.

We knew that jobs were limited, hubbs aussie friend told him this was the case, and it wasnt the lack of jobs that put us off, it was the wage $15 an hour?

yeah i will admit EVERY australian we came accross was not that bad, but our of everyone we met, there were 3 people that i can say were truly welcoming.

Obviously weather is hot, be stupid to think otherwise of australia, but i was stating it was too uncomfortable for hubby to work outdoors.

But why oh why would we move to the other side of the world to be financially worse off, miss family and friends, be treated bad by racist aussies, get ripped off for most things , blah bah etc ...

Quote:
mohogony
Quote:
Don't want to speak for everybody else, but personally I couldn't give a shit if they liked it or not. My hilarity (and it's nothing more than that) stems from the OP's use of such phrases as, "Australia was the promised land", "We were told we would get free medical care", "Gone are the days where you can get a massive bungalow with a pool", "It is not the promise land where you can stroll along the beach all day," (my personal favourite), "Hubby got arrested for breaking up a fight" and the fact that I have never before witnessed such over-inflated expectations of a country.

I don't hate the UK, but it's no more utopia than Australia is.

- EVEN IF THIS WAS THE CASE WE STILL WOULDNT MOVE TO OZ (AND THE CAPITALS WERE NOT A TYPO)

HUTCH - your so happy with your life in oz that you spend most of your time attacking peoples opinions on here, shouldnt you be enjoying the outdoor life?
And i will say it for you... "Australia is better of you not being here, how lucky we are, blah,blah......
Don't let him get to you, that's exactly what he wants.

I don't think i've ever read a thread where Hutch is actually nice to someone!
Old Apr 29th 2009, 7:17 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Australia - Try before you buy.......

Originally Posted by EverydaySunshine
Geez, that's terrible and not at all necessary for the way you were treated. Does anyone have any experience with South Africans? If some Brits are not really accepted what about South Africans?
Speaking as an Aussie, we love 'em! South Africans are good little workers, and they don't mind the mucky jobs.

P.S. Getting arrested in a bar fight on your reccie is total quality!
Perhaps they wanted to feel more at home.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 7:19 am

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Speaking as an Aussie, we love 'em! South Africans are good little workers, and they don't mind the mucky jobs.

Perhaps they wanted to feel more at home.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

..Wow !!!

They are real !!

Errm if it's too hot for your Husband to work outside than what happens with the other outside people... or "is he special" ? Have a good hard think about that one, your husbands reaction to the heat, the other people at the workplace reaction to your your husbands reaction and there goes a chain reaction. People tend to reap what they sow in these situations.

Bloody wish I could find a bricklayer for 30 bucks an hour.... I'm getting quoted 60 bucks down here..... across the board.

Someone really should open up an Agency for exploited UK tradesmen... but thats another matter.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Apr 29th 2009 at 7:23 am.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, give the woman a break!

Why do some posters feel the need to laugh at other people's misfortunes?

We all have our expectations when we come to Oz, otherwise we wouldn't be here, maybe they are accurate, maybe not and for some people Australia will just not be what they thought it was going to be like.

I think the OP feels very disappointed and down after spending so much emtional energy and cash getting to this point and then realising it is not for them. Better to find out now, than after they have sold their UK house and moved over here.

As far as coming here before even starting the visa process, well that's a sound idea, we did, but I have noticed after 2 years on this site that many posters who did visit before applying for a visa, thought it was right for them, moved over but have since returned or are in the process of doing so.

I hope you can reconcile with your families and move ahead with lives from here.

Sam
Old Apr 29th 2009, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

ChickChock is a jewel in the roughChickChock is a jewel in the roughChickChock is a jewel in the roughChickChock is a jewel in the rough

ozzieeagle
..Wow !!!

They are real !!

Errm if it's too hot for your Husband to work outside than what happens with the other outside people... or "is he special" ? Have a good hard think about that one, your husbands reaction to the heat, the other people at the workplace reaction to your your husbands reaction and there goes a chain reaction. People tend to reap what they sow in these situation.
Why is hubby special, because he found it too uncomfortable??? dont understand your point?? I was just stating that HE personally found it too humid, not too hot.

Thanks Sammie T, and those others posters who have posted nice comments
Old Apr 29th 2009, 7:34 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I'm no tradie so I've no idea what they do get paid - but you're basing your entire view of the building trade in the greater Brisbane area on one chance conversation with one English brickie on one building site. Hardly empirical evidence, is it? How do you know he wasn't pulling your plonker because he felt there were already too many tradies chasing too few jobs?

The travel agents that sold you the four day trip to Dubai?

Yea - why would you? When you can be close to the family that you speak so warmly of in your other posts, when you can enjoy this global recession in a country that's far worse off than this one, when you can watch Poles, Indians and Pakistanis getting treated badly by racist Brits, when you can get ripped off for most things. Why would you?

Yea? I'm beginning to understand the reception you got.

I work on computers missus - until they design a boogie board with a built-in laptop I'll find it hard to combine the two.

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
I don't think i've ever read a thread where Hutch is actually nice to someone!
And you base this on the two months you've been a member of this forum? If there's been an influx of muppets lately, it's hardly my fault.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 7:40 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Why is hubby special, because he found it too uncomfortable??? dont understand your point?? I was just stating that HE personally found it too humid, not too hot.

:
surley at some point during your two years of reseach you must have googled "brisbane weather" and or "average humidity" ??

i`m sat here shaking my head in disbelief

Last edited by steve`o; Apr 29th 2009 at 7:41 am. Reason: carnt spell for toffee
Old Apr 29th 2009, 7:41 am

I'm no tradie so I've no idea what they do get paid - but you're basing your entire view of the building trade in the greater Brisbane area on one chance conversation with one English brickie on one building site. Hardly empirical evidence, is it? How do you know he wasn't pulling your plonker because he felt there were already too many tradies chasing too few jobs?

The travel agents that sold you the four day trip to Dubai?

Yea - why would you? When you can be close to the family that you speak so warmly of in your other posts, when you can enjoy this global recession in a country that's far worse off than this one, when you can watch Poles, Indians and Pakistanis getting treated badly by racist Brits, when you can get ripped off for most things. Why would you?

Yea? I'm beginning to understand the reception you got.

I work on computers missus - until they design a boogie board with a built-in laptop I'll find it hard to combine the two.

And you base this on the two months you've been a member of this forum? If there's been an influx of muppets lately, it's hardly my fault.
Just saying what i've seen Hutch. Yes this IS an open forum and anything goes - that's fine, we all know that, but is there anyone on here you haven't had a run in with?
Old Apr 29th 2009, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by steve`o
surley at some point during your two years of reseach you must have googled "brisbane weather" and or "average humidity" ??

i`m sat here shaking my head in disbelief
So is everyone else - at your spelling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.