Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australia is 20 years behind the UK.....and here's why...

Australia is 20 years behind the UK.....and here's why...

Old Jun 20th 2007, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia is 20 years behind the UK.....and here's why...

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
How very true birdy, but I guess it is also true to say that if we hadn't of taken the road we did then perhaps we would not have become the person we are today and while ignorance may be bliss in some instances, it doesn't add to our character or compassion and empathy as people quite the way getting out of our comfort zones and experiencing challenges and adversity does.

So many of us would do things different I'm sure; if only we knew then what we know now. But that is only to avoid pain and maintain comfort and in the end might result in a life less lived in some cases. Oooh, I'm getting too philosophical now!
Yes & lets hope anyone whose in a hot pickle here manages sort it
Old Jun 20th 2007, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

yes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to all

Yeh Arkon's humour is legendary on BE

They are Alpacas...I think they may be related to Llamas though.

jeez
i dont fancy a frenchie with a camel thats losing its hair

get well soon arkon.

ive heard camels dont like lemsip breath
Old Jun 20th 2007, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Alot of backpackers are lucky, they get to spend enough time here to make a better judgement than those of us who came on a holiday here.
I spent a year here as a backpacker but also a fair bit of time with a family and 3 screaming kids so got to see it all first hand.

Most backpackers won't see the real Australia probably, to say nothing of the holidaymakers.

I met backpackers that were over it after 6 months.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 11:00 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Yes & lets hope anyone whose in a hot pickle here manages sort it
Indeed, cos being in a bind (or a pickle) ain't a hell of a lot of fun!
Old Jun 20th 2007, 11:37 pm
Banned

Fat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really nice

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
When you get a minute, send me your CV..
That would take a little longer than a minute and I am not sure if you would understand some of the content.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed, cos being in a bind (or a pickle) ain't a hell of a lot of fun!
Damn, I was trying to get you back onto talking about relishes
Old Jun 21st 2007, 10:33 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by devilishdaz
And the UK have only just brought in chip and pin!

Australia have had chip and pin for years!
Originally Posted by arkon
Thanks guys.....Anyone want to answer the foolish Chip and Pin statement or do you want me to do it?...............

Ok Can't resist. Australia probably HAD to introduce the chip and pin system early as petty criminality is built in to their genes and they just can't help themselves.....Sorry NorthenBird for the generalisation but it's true. A more dishonest race I've yet to find, the skill with which shop assistants can palm a fiver off your change is amazing and the blatant bare faced way they just hand it over without even a sorry when they are rumbled is just well....amazing.
Actually Aus does not have chip and pin. Aus has had EFTPOS (which is a bit like chip and pin) longer than the UK's equivalent, but it still does not have chip and pin. Chip and pin relates to credit cards and Aus still works on signatures. You can get a pin number for your credit card and you can type it in but you will still be asked to sign; so you may as well just press the OK button and sign anyway.

I wonder how this affects arkon's theory on why a country HAS to introduce chip and pin I suspect that there'll be a new theory in the offing

Last edited by MartinLuther; Jun 21st 2007 at 10:37 am.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 10:36 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I wonder how this affects arkon's theory on why a country HAS to introduce chip and pin I suspect that there'll be a new theory in the offing
Obvious! Eftpos was introduced to combat 'Assistant fiver palming". Much harder to steel money from a customer if cash has been eliminated.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 10:40 am
Account Closed

Obvious! Eftpos was introduced to combat 'Assistant fiver palming". Much harder to steel money from a customer if cash has been eliminated.
Wow - that was quick.

And why did the UK have to introduce chip and pin before Aus?
Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:08 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - that was quick.

And why did the UK have to introduce chip and pin before Aus?
Obvious, the huge influx of Australian bar people into the country in search of a better life.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:09 am
Account Closed

Obvious, the huge influx of Australian bar people into the country in search of a better life.
It's amazing how easy it is to miss the obvious explanations.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I spent a year here as a backpacker but also a fair bit of time with a family and 3 screaming kids so got to see it all first hand.

Most backpackers won't see the real Australia probably, to say nothing of the holidaymakers.

I met backpackers that were over it after 6 months.

Fair point, but as a backpacker you'd get a better idea than as a holidaymaker.

Last edited by birdynumnum; Jun 21st 2007 at 12:07 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:18 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

It's amazing how easy it is to miss the obvious explanations.
I'll give this country one thing though. Since being here my simple maths skills have improved no end, I now work out the cost of my shopping and the change I expect as I hand the money over. Means I can scan the change quickly to see if it's right without doing an obvious count of the money, which I find embarrising to do.

Some places never attempt to short change me though, Mc Donalds being one of the safest places to pay with cash IMO.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 5:26 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

I'll give this country one thing though. Since being here my simple maths skills have improved no end, I now work out the cost of my shopping and the change I expect as I hand the money over. Means I can scan the change quickly to see if it's right without doing an obvious count of the money, which I find embarrising to do.

Some places never attempt to short change me though, Mc Donalds being one of the safest places to pay with cash IMO.
Speaking of scans and scams; I always pay very close attention to the prices as they show up on the monitor when being scanned. Sometimes an advertised special will scan at original price and you can then mention it and get the item free. Even if you don't see the error till you get home, go back as soon as you can with your receipt, for the cash refund. Also goods with reduced price stickers sometimes still get scanned wrong. I also check my docket once done as soemtimes you might get charged twice for an item. I have had all of these scenarios occur!

Check the scanning policy of the store, but I know woolies and coles apply a code of practice for this.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:48 pm
Banned

Fat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really nice

I agree. I have been short changed lots of times in Australia, it happens regularly, I am now paranoid about it and always do a quick check of the change in my palm to make sure it is somewhere near what I expect it to be.

The only place in the UK where this would ever happen to me are in the corner shops run by members of the Pakistani community.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.