Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Aussie Flick to (Apple) Macs

Aussie Flick to (Apple) Macs

Old Aug 21st 2008, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Aussie Flick to (Apple) Macs

"AUSTRALIANS are switching to Macs at a faster rate than almost anywhere else in the world.

Research firm Gartner's latest figures show Mac sales grew 52 per cent in the second quarter - nearly six times the rate of the PC industry overall.

This is even better than in the US, where Mac sales have been growing at about three times the industry average.

Apple's share of the Australian computer market in the second quarter of 2008 was 5.3 per cent, according to Gartner, up from 3.8 per cent a year ago. Rival research firm IDC puts the present figure as high as 6.2 per cent.

If Mac sales continue to grow at this rate, the platform will have a double-figure market share within a few years.

In the US this will happen even sooner, with the Mac's market share topping 8 per cent in the latest quarter.

Also, these figures include sales to corporations, which are still predominantly Windows-based. If you break down the figures into the markets Apple actually competes in, the picture gets even brighter.

Apple's creative market share has always been high, it is now regaining its dominant position in education and its consumer market share is probably already in the double figures.

Earlier this year, David Jones general manager Gary Neville said Macs accounted for 17 per cent of the retail market, though this does not include online sales.

David Jones and Myer are both opening Apple stores-within-a-store and Apple itself has opened two retail stores in Sydney in recent months, with another to come in Melbourne. Macs also are popping up in chain stores JB Hi-Fi and Dick Smith.

Four factors are driving the migration from PCs:

* The iPod "halo effect", in which iPod buyers seek out other Apple products.

* Apple's move to Intel processors, which has levelled the playing field and allowed switchers to run Windows.

* Increased visibility of Apple products in Apple's retail stores and chain stores.

* Widespread dissatisfaction with Windows security, stability and usability.

Apple's controversial "Get a Mac" ad campaign has crystallised the Mac's advantages over Windows in a humorous, engaging way.

And the hit iPhone and iPod Touch should further extend the halo effect, particularly since both devices run a "lite" version of the Mac's OS X Leopard.

Factors still holding some people back include the outdated myths that Macs have no software, and are incompatible with the rest of the computing world.

Price is also an issue. While Macs are much more competitively priced compared with similarly equipped PCs, it's true that they aren't as dirt-cheap at the entry level. However, a top Apple executive recently hinted this could change soon.

Worldwide, the Mac market share is about 3.5 per cent, but this is double the 1.8 per cent it hit about five years ago. With continuing gains in the West, and an emerging middle class in markets such as China and India, the potential is huge"

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...1-8362,00.html
Old Aug 21st 2008, 4:12 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie Flick to (Apple) Macs

I'm a happy Hackintosh owner.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 4:13 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I'm a happy Hackintosh owner.
I've got 3 Macs and 1 crappy Windoze PC which will not be replaced when it dies.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

2 Macs (1 x iMac, 1 x MacBook Pro)

1 x Windblows laptop

iPhone 3G on the way - once data plans become realistic
Old Aug 21st 2008, 5:50 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tictac
2 Macs (1 x iMac, 1 x MacBook Pro)

1 x Windblows laptop

iPhone 3G on the way - once data plans become realistic
I have a question. Why do you feel the need to refer to it as Windblows? All it does is make you sound like an eight year old with a bad attitude. Since I installed OSX and joined various forums, I've noticed a lot of Mac owners do this - strikes me that they need to justify the exortionate price they paid for their computer by beating up on the operating system used on 98% of the planet's PCs. I fully expect some of these Apple owners to turn round and tell me I smell of wee-wee and poo-poo, such is the intellectual level of their argument.

If OSX is so great (and given that I've chosen to use it every day over and above XP, Vista or Ubuntu I'm inclined to think it's the best OS out at the moment) then why the need to justify its use? Do you see Windows users referring to Crapples? No? That's because they don't care. It's a bit like the whole Australia/GB thing in the olympics - the aussies are bent out of shape because the poms are beating them - but in the UK Australia doesn't even get on the radar - nobody cares.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 5:52 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Once You've Had Mac, You'll Never Go Back.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 6:01 am
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Once You've Had Mac, You'll Never Go Back.
I've had three - and no, that's not including my current Hackintosh.

Currently have four PCs in this house (two dual boot XP/OSX) and two laptops (one XP, one Vista).
Old Aug 21st 2008, 6:07 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Do you see Windows users referring to Crapples? No? That's because they don't care. It'.
It's because they know no different. My PC would go fine with Ubuntu on it but because it has Windows on it it runs like a slug. Windows has caused me so much grief over the last few years which is why I hate it with a passion.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 6:42 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Aussie Flick to (Apple) Macs

Macs are superb machines, but there are three reasons why I will never buy one:

(a) the price is extortionate
(b) upgrading and modding is virtually impossible; the only way to get a better machine is to buy a brand new one
(c) I hate being locked into proprietary hardware and software; it serves no other purpose other than to maintain a captive market
Old Aug 21st 2008, 7:06 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing that puts me off, apart from the initial crazy price, is the extortionate cost of servicing. And don't tell me they don't go wrong. I know different. They may not bite the dust as often as Windows but I'm not rich enough to give one a go.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 7:12 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Needless to say I love my Apple and will never but a PC again.....
Old Aug 21st 2008, 9:07 am
In Perth & Loving it...

aus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud of

I have used Windows PC's since Win'95 and have been building my own systems, and others, for quite a number of years. Since becoming dependant on my computer for work I found that I was spending too much time either fixing problems caused by Windows or just idling fiddling with the system.

Since I moved to the iMac (nice shiny, aluminium thing that it is) I find that I am more productive because the system has never crashed on me yet and the I do not feel the need fo 'fiddle' (with the computer ) to get it working 'just the way I like it'.

If it wasn't for the fact that I need to run our Back Office system on Windows I would not have Windows installed at all. (I currently run Windows in Suns Virtual Box, Virtual Server, side-by-side with OS X).

BTW: Windows seems to run alot fast in a Virtual Server, under OS X then on a Custom Built PC that should, on paper, be quicker...

I certainly do not hate Windows, I have just found, IMHO, a system that works much better for me, I enjoy using it more and makes me more productive.

Darren
Old Aug 21st 2008, 9:34 am
Oxford - SEQ August 07

Urno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really nice

I've had three - and no, that's not including my current Hackintosh.

Currently have four PCs in this house (two dual boot XP/OSX) and two laptops (one XP, one Vista).
Have you Hackintosh heard of Hackintosh? I Hackintosh think you can Hackintosh get something called Hackintosh to run OS X on PC Hackintosh hardware. That way Hackintosh you can Hackintosh get to Hackintosh mention Hackintosh and hope that Hackintosh people will Hackintosh ask you about Hackintosh what Hackintosh is, then Hackintosh you can Hackintosh sound like Hackintosh the best.

Hackintosh.

Pardon my truculence...
Old Aug 21st 2008, 9:39 am
F*** it!

Fenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond repute

I have a question. Why do you feel the need to refer to it as Windblows? All it does is make you sound like an eight year old with a bad attitude. Since I installed OSX and joined various forums, I've noticed a lot of Mac owners do this - strikes me that they need to justify the exortionate price they paid for their computer by beating up on the operating system used on 98% of the planet's PCs. I fully expect some of these Apple owners to turn round and tell me I smell of wee-wee and poo-poo, such is the intellectual level of their argument.

If OSX is so great (and given that I've chosen to use it every day over and above XP, Vista or Ubuntu I'm inclined to think it's the best OS out at the moment) then why the need to justify its use? Do you see Windows users referring to Crapples? No? That's because they don't care. It's a bit like the whole Australia/GB thing in the olympics - the aussies are bent out of shape because the poms are beating them - but in the UK Australia doesn't even get on the radar - nobody cares.
Wise words there Mr Hutch.

I have never used a Mac and have no desire too. Why should I when Vista does everything I could possibly need and is rock solid. What are these so called issues you fanboys are facing with the 'devil's own operating system'? It truly baffles me how people can have so much trouble with Windows. Windows works perfectly after a fresh install. What the hell are you doing to it to make it so "awful"?

I have no issues with Windows XP or Vista because I keep a clean PC know what I'm doing. It's great that Mac users have their nice, safe little walled garden to play in. As I've said before, it's not the Mac that people hate, it's the Mac users. A more smug group of people you will never meet. I prefer more choice with my cheaper, better PC.

I too have a question for the fanboys... Doesn't your Mac have operating issues with all those sticky fluids on the keyboard?
Old Aug 21st 2008, 11:05 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fenton Beasley
Wise words there Mr Hutch.

I have never used a Mac and have no desire too. Why should I when Vista does everything I could possibly need and is rock solid. What are these so called issues you fanboys are facing with the 'devil's own operating system'? It truly baffles me how people can have so much trouble with Windows. Windows works perfectly after a fresh install. What the hell are you doing to it to make it so "awful"?

I have no issues with Windows XP or Vista because I keep a clean PC know what I'm doing. It's great that Mac users have their nice, safe little walled garden to play in. As I've said before, it's not the Mac that people hate, it's the Mac users. A more smug group of people you will never meet. I prefer more choice with my cheaper, better PC.

I too have a question for the fanboys... Doesn't your Mac have operating issues with all those sticky fluids on the keyboard?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.