Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Aussie F1 Driver Mark Webber Calls Australia a Nanny State

View Poll Results: Do you think Australia is a nanny state?
Yes
77.27%
No
22.73%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Aussie F1 Driver Mark Webber Calls Australia a Nanny State

Old Mar 30th 2010, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie F1 Driver Mark Webber Calls Australia a Nanny State

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I thought the traffic was too slow. Didn't think much to the tossers in the bushes either
Not much of a city slicker myself so when we go to Australia,we tend to head up bush!As for tossers in bushes,did'nt see any myself,must of been on their lunch breaks!
Old Mar 30th 2010, 3:56 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Just got off the phone to my mate in South Australia.She's just told me,that yesterday,she was driving her teenage daughter to school when all of a sudden the cops were behind her,siren wailing,lights flashing.She nearly had a heart attack,pulled over thinking she might have commited a serious driving offence,cop got out of the car,she asked what the problem was and the cop said "Your tow bar is particially covering your rego plate!Does that really substantiate sirens and lights?I think not!
I got the woop woop in the UK too. It's just traffic cops the world over!
Been stopped 3 times here! 2 times for going through a red light and once for having no plates on the car! Never had a ticket yet, I love QLD cops!!
Old Mar 30th 2010, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
I got the woop woop in the UK too. It's just traffic cops the world over!
Been stopped 3 times here! 2 times for going through a red light and once for having no plates on the car! Never had a ticket yet, I love QLD cops!!
Wow now thats what I call lucky!
Old Mar 30th 2010, 4:11 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Wow now thats what I call lucky!
Nah, both times I went through reds the cop that pulled me over was Scottish. One Edinburgh man and one Glaswegian!
The plates, I was on the way to the transport place and just got a big lecture!!
Old Mar 30th 2010, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Nah, both times I went through reds the cop that pulled me over was Scottish. One Edinburgh man and one Glaswegian!
The plates, I was on the way to the transport place and just got a big lecture!!
I see!Luckily I havent had any speeding fines ect,but OH has!
Old Mar 30th 2010, 10:13 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

At least if you're only slightly speeding here you can write to them and say you were sorry and they let you off once with just a warning.

Given that the speed limits are not that different I suspect that when people are complaining about the limits they are in reality complaining that the roads are too wide or too big (i.e. they think that the limit should be higher because of the size of the road rather than its location). A classic example of this is the Nepean through Mornington. It looks like a 3 lane motorway but has a 70 kph limit. I think people forget that it's actually going through a town with lots of junctions (especially ones through the median strip).
Old Mar 30th 2010, 10:17 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Webber is just the typical whinging Aussie that now lives abroad. Maybe it's not the nationality that induces whinging but just being abroad.
Maybe it's coming to Australia that turns people into whingers...
Old Mar 30th 2010, 10:30 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deancm
Maybe it's coming to Australia that turns people into whingers...
Maybe.

I think a large number of people whinge when they're in foreign climes.

Funniest one I ever heard was the Brit who complained that there were too many Spanish in their holiday resort in Spain. Or the one who complained that the brochure never mentioned hurricanes when one hit their Caribbean resort. Or the one who managed to avoid the devastation of Marysville but complained that none of the locals had told her that there was a raging fire coming that day. Okay, that last one is sad (on several levels) rather than funny.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 11:08 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately the redlight cameras aren't Scottish though.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 11:54 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Unfortunately the redlight cameras aren't Scottish though.
No cameras luckily! Both times I pulled away when the left hand filter went green..... not paying attention!
Old May 30th 2010, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

67carbman is an unknown quantity at this point

Beautiful country.

The country was founded by criminals including men who were petty thieves and and women who simply knew nothing but ....well how to screw people. Unfortunately, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree and most ended up in law enforcement.

7kph over the limit? $146.00 I walk at 6.4 kph! Law enforcement in this country needs to find real jobs and learn how to work.