Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Aussie F1 Driver Mark Webber Calls Australia a Nanny State

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Do you think Australia is a nanny state?
Yes
77.27%
No
22.73%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Aussie F1 Driver Mark Webber Calls Australia a Nanny State

Old Mar 29th 2010, 12:55 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Aussie F1 Driver Mark Webber Calls Australia a Nanny State

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Deputy Police Commissioner Ken Lay says the state's road toll is distressingly high and Webber should know better.

"That's after a weekend [which left] six dead, four of them attributed to speeding," he said.

"It's really disappointing. Mark Webber's in a unique position where he's got the ability to influence our road users. He's missed an opportunity. He's probably undermined our message."

I am on a roll now. Where (Mr Deputy Police Commissioner) did Mark Webber say he endorsed speeding? I though his comments were mainly to do with parking and other traffic rules. Also, I thought Hamilton was done for doing burnouts not excessive speed?
I agree with you on this. Just burnouts, nothing to do with speed.
I feel that maybe the Deputy Police Commissioner just thought that Mark Webber had something to do with cars and high speed, and that he could help the average road user by setting a good example.

Old Mar 29th 2010, 12:57 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
But Lewis Hamilton did get treated the same as anyone else
That is correct, but the point made by Mark Webber is that Australia is a Nanny state for doing so, as Lewis Hamilton found it.

Old Mar 29th 2010, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Not all the speed limits are higher in the UK. The urban speed limits are slower.
30 mph in built up areas which equates to 48 km/h which is 2 km/h less than the 50 km/hr is Australia. Think the only reason we have 50 km/h and not 48 km/h is to round things up as we are using k's instead of miles.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 1:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Motorways - UK = 2 kph higher
UK: 70 mph (112kph)
Aus: 68.75 mph 110kph
Victoria: 100km/h

Built up areas
UK = 12 kph lower
UK 30 mph (48 kph)
Aus 37.5 mph (60 kph)
Victoria: 50 km/h

Housing Estates
UK = 2 kph lower
UK 30 mph (48 kph)
Aus 31.25 mph (50 kph)

Don't come to Victoria, you'll get done for speeding.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 1:06 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Funny thing though I don't remember Tim Pallas calling Ken Lay a dick-head earlier this year when he was nabbed for speeding, despite being the public face of the road safety campaign. Or maybe he did and I missed it.
I would imagine he did, plus a bit more, but not on record

Jeez, can you imagine the behind the scenes comments when the "front man in a heavily promoted Christmas campaign to keep the state's road toll down over the holidays" was "nabbed driving 80km/h in a 70km/h zone through a country town".

Thinking about it though...
  • How many of us think that doing 80 in a 70 zone is OK ?
  • How many of us think that doing a burnout on a public street is OK ?

Old Mar 29th 2010, 1:19 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Deancm
So we aren't talking about Australia then, you are talking about Victoria

But built up areas seem to have higher speed limits than the UK in most States.
And Motorways vary between UK (96/112k) and 100/110k in Australia

I noticed that Cars towing trailers, and Goods vehicles, are now limited to 60mph (96 kph) on UK motorways.

With Victoria seeming to have the lower limits, do you think that may have anything to do with the following results ?

Road deaths per 100 million vehicle kilometres travelled:
0.4 Australian Capital Territory, Australia
0.6 Victoria, Australia
0.6 Great Britain
0.7 Queensland, Australia
0.8 New South Wales, Australia
0.8 South Australia
0.9 Western Australia
1.1 Tasmania, Australia
2.6 Northern Territory, Australia

Old Mar 29th 2010, 1:24 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed that Cars towing trailers, and Goods vehicles, are now limited to 60mph (96 kph) on UK motorways.

With Victoria seeming to have the lower limits, do you think that may have anything to do with the following results ?
I'm interested to know how those stats can be reliable. How can they possibly know how many kms vehicles travel?
Old Mar 29th 2010, 1:25 pm
Account Closed

We are talking about Victoria because this is where the Grand Prix is, this is where Hamilton got done 'hooning' and where Webber's comments are directed (although Webber did say Australia as he drove home to Queanbeyan).
Old Mar 29th 2010, 1:29 pm
Account Closed

Those stats tell me something is seriously wrong in Australia, especially considering they have some of the strictest road laws in the world (and they aren't working).

I also think kms travelled is not a fair comparison. It's like comparing apples and oranges comparing km's travelled in UK to km's travelled in Aus.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 1:31 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
4/ Keep left unless overtaking

The amount of times I have seen cars being forced to unnecessarily weave in and out of cars on the freeway because there is someone sitting in the OVERTAKING lane (not FAST lane!) doing 20km/h under the speed limit is ridiculous and I believe that is a major factor for accidents on freeways here
All of the things quoted in the above passages represent activities that could be considered dangerous driving, or certainly driving without due care and attention.

The problem here is that the police are so single mindedly focused on speeding, that they so rarely enforce any other kinds of driving infraction. So people end up being able to drive dangerously with impunity, provided they don't draw attention to themselves by speeding.

I suspect it's because speeding is an offence of strict liability, where if found comitting, then you are guilty - there's no mens rea required. I imagine that 99% of people stopped for speeding, if shown the reading on the speed gun/camera, will just roll over and accept it.

Dangerous driving is a much different case. It's much harder for the police to prosecute, as it largely comes down to the evidence of their opinion, which if a driver denies it, means providing a statement or two, probably a day out in court, and the potential to lose, and incur costs. It's much easier to target speeders than have to go through all of that.

The single minded focus on speeding is dangerous IMHO. Speeding IS a factor in accidents, but only a single factor amongst many. By only focussing on speed, the authorities are encouraging drivers to ignore the other contributing factors:

"I'm only driving 6" away from the car in front, but that's OK, as I'm doing the speed limit..."

"It's sheeting it down with rain, but that's OK, as I am doing the speed limit..."

"I'm chatting away on the phone, but that's OK, as I'm doing the speed limit..."

If you only target speeding, then other forms of bad driving will take over as the main contributing factor to accidents.

S
Old Mar 29th 2010, 1:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I'm interested to know how those stats can be reliable. How can they possibly know how many kms vehicles travel?
Didn't you know. All cars are fitted with a GPS that tracks all vehicles movements...
Old Mar 29th 2010, 1:33 pm
Account Closed

Police agree speed cameras are for revenue raising:

"A recent survey by the Herald Sun has found that more than 70 per cent of Victorian police believe speed and red light cameras are more about revenue-raising than preserving road safety"

http://www.caradvice.com.au/11828/po...venue-raising/
Old Mar 29th 2010, 3:15 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Victoria: 100km/h

Victoria

110 on freeways away from Melbourne.

50 on side streets 60 on through routes. Those 60kph roads through Melly would only be 30mph in London.

You are right that they enforce limits in Vic.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Mar 29th 2010 at 3:18 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 3:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Victoria

110 on freeways away from Melbourne.

50 on side streets 60 on through routes. Those 60kph roads through Melly would only be 30mph in London.

You are right that they enforce limits in Vic.
I ws travelling on the Monash Freeway the other day away from Melbourne and it was definitely 100km/h. What freeways are you talking about because according to the Vic Roads website it is 100 km/h on freeways?

Also, in certain shopping strip streets in Melb, the speed limit is 40 km/h (24.8 mph). Bit lower than UK's/London's 30 mph!

Last edited by Deancm; Mar 29th 2010 at 4:06 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 7:27 pm
ABCDiamond

I ws travelling on the Monash Freeway the other day away from Melbourne and it was definitely 100km/h. What freeways are you talking about because according to the Vic Roads website it is 100 km/h on freeways?

Also, in certain shopping strip streets in Melb, the speed limit is 40 km/h (24.8 mph). Bit lower than UK's/London's 30 mph!
Yeah, but higher than some of Londons ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.