Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Aussie F1 Driver Mark Webber Calls Australia a Nanny State

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Do you think Australia is a nanny state?
Yes
77.27%
No
22.73%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Aussie F1 Driver Mark Webber Calls Australia a Nanny State

Old Mar 29th 2010, 11:34 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie F1 Driver Mark Webber Calls Australia a Nanny State

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I think the syllabus should include the following before 'high speed driving in the wet(!) and skid pans':

1) Keep a decent f---ing distance behind the car in front
2) Learn to merge
3) Indicate before changing lanes

This will obviously reside in the 'Advanced Driving' section ...

Spot on...

I would add slowing down in the wet...

S
Old Mar 29th 2010, 11:46 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
Sat navs should be more accurate as it calculates speed over distance and time. Did the copper show you the actual reading because he should have? Something seems definitely wrong there because the sat nav and speedo readings are quite close. Either way you were over the limit!
Unfortunately though that is not true. Theoretically Sat navs should be more accurate based on that logic, however they are only positionally accurate within +/-5-10m meaning they can never be that accurate
Old Mar 29th 2010, 11:49 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Unfortunately though that is not true. Theoretically Sat navs should be more accurate based on that logic, however they are only positionally accurate within +/-5-10m meaning they can never be that accurate
Theoretically, yes and they are never going to be as responsive as an actual speedo.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 11:50 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently, since Labour have been in power in Victoria there has been over fifty thousand new laws introduced.
where are you getting your facts from? Do you realise that is in excess of 12 new laws per calendar day (not sitting parliament day) since coming into power?
Old Mar 29th 2010, 11:51 am
Account Closed

where are you getting your facts from? Do you realise that is in excess of 12 new laws per calendar day (not sitting parliament day) since coming into power?
It's anecdotal which is why I said "apparently".
Old Mar 29th 2010, 11:55 am
I'm Old Gregg!

I think the syllabus should include the following before 'high speed driving in the wet(!) and skid pans':

1) Keep a decent f---ing distance behind the car in front
2) Learn to merge
3) Indicate before changing lanes

This will obviously reside in the 'Advanced Driving' section ...
4/ Keep left unless overtaking

The amount of times I have seen cars being forced to unnecessarily weave in and out of cars on the freeway because there is someone sitting in the OVERTAKING lane (not FAST lane!) doing 20km/h under the speed limit is ridiculous and I believe that is a major factor for accidents on freeways here
Old Mar 29th 2010, 11:58 am
I'm Old Gregg!

It's anecdotal which is why I said "apparently".
fair enough, but I think anecdotal (blatant bollocks) facts are dangerous in these types of arguments. I think there is a really valid debate to be had on this subject and when people who support the unlawful view (in this case you and I are both supporting the same side) use these types of arguments they and their valid points will be automatically dismissed by the law makers because they are using made up facts.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 12:03 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

4/ Keep left unless overtaking

The amount of times I have seen cars being forced to unnecessarily weave in and out of cars on the freeway because there is someone sitting in the OVERTAKING lane (not FAST lane!) doing 20km/h under the speed limit is ridiculous and I believe that is a major factor for accidents on freeways here
Correction. I should just say lane discipline full stop. I see too many times on my way to work people crossing two or three lanes in one quick manoeuvre
Old Mar 29th 2010, 12:09 pm
ABCDiamond

I would say there is more of a 'Well, what can we do about it?' attitude in Australia.
Not sure about that, it may be more like... 'Well, government rarely follows up with doing what it says it will do, so why bother worrying about it?'

Old Mar 29th 2010, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Not sure about that, it may be more like... 'Well, government rarely follows up with doing what it says it will do, so why bother worrying about it?'
The Vic govt just confiscates cars on a regular basis.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 12:16 pm
ABCDiamond

fair enough, but I think anecdotal (blatant bollocks) facts are dangerous in these types of arguments. I think there is a really valid debate to be had on this subject and when people who support the unlawful view (in this case you and I are both supporting the same side) use these types of arguments they and their valid points will be automatically dismissed by the law makers (and other readers) because they are using made up facts.
added a bit...

Old Mar 29th 2010, 12:17 pm
ABCDiamond

The Vic govt just confiscates cars on a regular basis.
and gives them back after 24/48 ? hours ?

Old Mar 29th 2010, 12:22 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

added a bit...
I am actually a believer that excessive speed is a killer. What I have a problem with is the blatant revenue raising exercise that all of the state police services adopt.

I have a work colleague, who is an absolute moron and irresponsible driver. On Friday night he was stopped by police because his car full of idiot mates brought the attention of the police on them by honking the horn. They didn't see the cop car parked on the other side of the road. They pulled him over and called another unit in to breathalise him which took 20 mins form the moment he was pulled over. He blew 0.065 and they let him off without even a caution. He is now walking around the office as smug as anything and proud that he managed to sweet talk the copper into letting him off.
Zero tollerance, my arse!

Would they have let him off if he'd been doing the same percentage over the speed limit? The cynical side of me says probably not!
Old Mar 29th 2010, 12:23 pm
ABCDiamond

F1 driver Mark Webber said after his return from Europe he had been ''dodging the ridiculous speeding and parking [rules] and all the nanny-state country that we have down here in Australia''.

He also said "It's a great country, but we've got to be responsible for our actions and it's certainly a bloody nanny state when it comes to what we can do'' and "ridiculous road rules were creating a nanny state and driving in Australia pisses me off".

I reckon he's dead right. People go on about how much of a nanny state the UK is but it's nothing compared to Australia.

Webber's certainly put Brumby's and Ken Lay's (Head Traffic Cop Vic) nose out of joint...
Back to the original thread title, and the actual facts..

Mark Webber, was speaking after F1 ace Lewis Hamilton had his car impounded after he was caught doing burnouts in the Melbourne bayside suburb of St Kilda on Friday night.

''It's a great country, but we've got to be responsible for our actions and it's certainly a bloody nanny state when it comes to what we can do. Lewis Hamilton has found out very quickly," Webber said.
So, Mark Webber says that Australia is a Nanny State, as Lewis Hamilton has found out after being done for doing burnouts.

Should hooning and burnouts be made legal now ? It seems that this is his opinion.

Old Mar 29th 2010, 12:30 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Back to the original thread title, and the actual facts..

So, Mark Webber says that Australia is a Nanny State, as Lewis Hamilton has found out after being done for doing burnouts.

Should hooning and burnouts be made legal now ? It seems that this is his opinion.
Sorry to sound like MartinLuther but where does Mark Webber say he thinks hooning and burnouts should be made legal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.