Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Aussie F1 Driver Mark Webber Calls Australia a Nanny State

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Do you think Australia is a nanny state?
Yes
77.27%
No
22.73%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Aussie F1 Driver Mark Webber Calls Australia a Nanny State

Old Mar 29th 2010, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Aussie F1 Driver Mark Webber Calls Australia a Nanny State

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Yeah, but higher than some of Londons ...
http://i.thisislondon.co.uk/i/pix/20...ph_415x275.jpg
I could show you a 10 km/h one of those from Melbourne.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 8:06 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deancm
I ws travelling on the Monash Freeway the other day away from Melbourne and it was definitely 100km/h. What freeways are you talking about because according to the Vic Roads website it is 100 km/h on freeways?

Also, in certain shopping strip streets in Melb, the speed limit is 40 km/h (24.8 mph). Bit lower than UK's/London's 30 mph!
I think the Monash is entirely in Melbourne. If you carry along that road though it becomes the Princes Freeway which goes to 110 at Longwarry.

The Hume goes to 110 just north of Melbourne. Can't tell you where exactly but it's not that far north. The Calder goes to 110 just a bit after the Raceway. The Calder does have that bizarre 80 limit which seems a bit unnecessary up to Raceway. Even more bizarre is that it's 80 on one side and 100 on the other.

I think some of the current 100 limits could be raised though. The Monash should probably stay 100 but Eastlink, the Peninsula Fwy and the Fwy that goes to Geelong could all be raise to 110. I assume these have been kept down because of loading.

Personally I think some of the Fwy limits could be raised to 130 but it would take a brave pollie to make that change. As soon as one idiot crashes at that speed the pollie would be political toast.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 8:07 pm
ABCDiamond

I could show you a 10 km/h one of those from Melbourne.
I'm sure I saw one at 5 mph in London when I was there

Hundreds of lives a year could be saved in London by extending 20mph zones.

A study published today shows the accident rate has almost halved on roads with the limit. Experts say an extension would prevent an extra 692 casualties a year.

It comes as eight councils revealed they are introducing 20mph limits on residential roads.

Islington has already confirmed it will be the first borough in the country to introduce a blanket limit next month. Hackney says it plans to follow suit by 2012.

Merton said the research strengthened the case for blanket limits. William Brierly, whose brief includes planning and traffic management at Merton, said: "This research clearly shows that 20mph really is plenty on many of our residential roads."

Old Mar 29th 2010, 8:13 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Ok guys. Pull them out and let's see who has the smallest
Old Mar 29th 2010, 8:50 pm
Account Closed

Also, in certain shopping strip streets in Melb, the speed limit is 40 km/h (24.8 mph). Bit lower than UK's/London's 30 mph!
And probably in the same sort of street as London's 20mph limit.

Looking at similar type roads.

Kingsway 60kph Embankment 30mph
Flinders St 60kph Euston Rd 30mph
Exhibition 50kph Piccadilly 30mph
Dandenong Hwy 80kph Western Avenue 40mph

Yep you may be able to find a few exceptions that go the other way but they are small in comparison.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Mar 29th 2010 at 8:59 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 9:19 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Ok guys. Pull them out and let's see who has the smallest
Best I can do so far...

Old Mar 29th 2010, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Not trying hard enough
Attached Thumbnails Aussie F1 Driver Mark Webber Calls Australia a Nanny State-speed_limit.png  
Old Mar 29th 2010, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Agree. Australia is the ultimate nanny state. Agree about our ridiculously low speed limits and the 'revenue collectors' who enforce them.
Haven't read any more posts - he has a point about over-regulation but the man is probably smarting from the fact he got done under much-needed Hoon laws. If that's the case then he is barking up the wrong tree and his case is weakened.

Don't have an issue with any traffic laws - maybe they could raise highway limits. In surburbia, limits are 50/60 high enough.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 10:28 pm
Account Closed

I'm sure I saw one at 5 mph in London when I was there
Was it in a car park? I've seen a few of those.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 10:32 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Haven't read any more posts - he has a point about over-regulation but the man is probably smarting from the fact he got done under much-needed Hoon laws. If that's the case then he is barking up the wrong tree and his case is weakened.

Don't have an issue with any traffic laws - maybe they could raise highway limits. In surburbia, limits are 50/60 high enough.
Webber didn't get done for hooning though. That was Hamilton.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I think the Monash is entirely in Melbourne. If you carry along that road though it becomes the Princes Freeway which goes to 110 at Longwarry.

The Hume goes to 110 just north of Melbourne. Can't tell you where exactly but it's not that far north. The Calder goes to 110 just a bit after the Raceway. The Calder does have that bizarre 80 limit which seems a bit unnecessary up to Raceway. Even more bizarre is that it's 80 on one side and 100 on the other.

I think some of the current 100 limits could be raised though. The Monash should probably stay 100 but Eastlink, the Peninsula Fwy and the Fwy that goes to Geelong could all be raise to 110. I assume these have been kept down because of loading.

Personally I think some of the Fwy limits could be raised to 130 but it would take a brave pollie to make that change. As soon as one idiot crashes at that speed the pollie would be political toast.
Originally Posted by MartinLuther
And probably in the same sort of street as London's 20mph limit.

Looking at similar type roads.

Kingsway 60kph Embankment 30mph
Flinders St 60kph Euston Rd 30mph
Exhibition 50kph Piccadilly 30mph
Dandenong Hwy 80kph Western Avenue 40mph

Yep you may be able to find a few exceptions that go the other way but they are small in comparison.
Give that man a medal for all the above. If anything, I find limits higher in Melbourne, or similar for non-highways. The much touted surburban 50 is the UK's standard 30 - and yet there are many 60's in other roads.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Webber didn't get done for hooning though. That was Hamilton.
That will teach me.. ....In response to Hamilton though?
Old Mar 29th 2010, 10:47 pm
Account Closed

That will teach me.. ....In response to Hamilton though?
I don't think so as he said "driving in Australia pisses me off", although he did raise the Hamilton issue.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 11:13 pm
ABCDiamond

I don't think so as he said "driving in Australia pisses me off", although he did raise the Hamilton issue.
That was in relation to Hamilton being done for hooning...
'It's a great country, but we've got to be responsible for our actions and it's certainly a bloody nanny state when it comes to what we can do. Lewis Hamilton has found out very quickly," Webber said.

Old Mar 30th 2010, 12:11 am
Account Closed

Give that man a medal for all the above. If anything, I find limits higher in Melbourne, or similar for non-highways. The much touted surburban 50 is the UK's standard 30 - and yet there are many 60's in other roads.
What can I say? I've seen quite a few bits of Victoria. It's usually black and charred when I get there but it gets you out and about.

Another oddity (opposite to the Calder) is the newish Albury bypass. You can now wizz through the centre of Albury-Wodonga at 110kph in a few minutes. Compared to the 30-45m drag it was when I first arrived.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.