Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Aussie F1 Driver Mark Webber Calls Australia a Nanny State

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Do you think Australia is a nanny state?
Yes
77.27%
No
22.73%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Aussie F1 Driver Mark Webber Calls Australia a Nanny State

Old Mar 29th 2010, 12:31 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Aussie F1 Driver Mark Webber Calls Australia a Nanny State

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I am actually a believer that excessive speed is a killer. What I have a problem with is the blatant revenue raising exercise that all of the state police services adopt.
I agree with you on this. the interesting thing is my own experiences. My speeding fines in the UK were 33 in a 30 zone, with the road being 2 lanes each way, nice and open. !! (same road each time )

My fines here were on the motorways 130 in a 110 zone, and 80 in a 70 zone.
My view, from my experiences, is that both countries do the same thing.

Parking tickets are one thing that I did get annoyed with once.
In Sydney they opened a new car park at Darling Harbour some years ago, and changed the parking restrictions in the nearby industrial area, where I always parked during the evenings.
I, and a few hundred others, got a parking ticket at 1:00am for parking in an area that no activity was occurring, other than parking cars.

Old Mar 29th 2010, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Back to the original thread title, and the actual facts..

So, Mark Webber says that Australia is a Nanny State, as Lewis Hamilton has found out after being done for doing burnouts.

Should hooning and burnouts be made legal now ? It seems that this is his opinion.
Having listened to Webbers comments I don't think they were directly related to Hamilton but from his own experiences since being in the country. It just so happenss that Hamilton got done doing a burnout.

Should hooning be made legal? Well that all depends on what hooning is. It is open to debate. Going around a corner too fast could be hooning. Doing a burnout is hooning but burnounts have never killed anybody as there is no speed involved and especially in the hands of a professional F1 driver. Can an F1 driver be a hoon? His skill level at handling a high performannce motor vehicle far surpasses that of the masses. Were his actions dangerous? Could he have killed anybody?

The current hoon legislation is a bit of a knee jerk response if you ask me. Especially when you are getting 90 year old hoons.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 12:34 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Sorry to sound like MartinLuther but where does Mark Webber say he thinks hooning and burnouts should be made legal?
Lewis Hamilton had his car impounded after he was caught doing burnouts.

it's certainly a bloody nanny state when it comes to what we can do. Lewis Hamilton has found out very quickly," Webber said
That seems to say that he feels that Lewis Hamilton was only doing burnouts, but was caught under Australian Nanny State rules.

Old Mar 29th 2010, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

I am actually a believer that excessive speed is a killer. What I have a problem with is the blatant revenue raising exercise that all of the state police services adopt.

I have a work colleague, who is an absolute moron and irresponsible driver. On Friday night he was stopped by police because his car full of idiot mates brought the attention of the police on them by honking the horn. They didn't see the cop car parked on the other side of the road. They pulled him over and called another unit in to breathalise him which took 20 mins form the moment he was pulled over. He blew 0.065 and they let him off without even a caution. He is now walking around the office as smug as anything and proud that he managed to sweet talk the copper into letting him off.
Zero tollerance, my arse!

Would they have let him off if he'd been doing the same percentage over the speed limit? The cynical side of me says probably not!
They let him off because the tolerance limits on the alcohol testing machines is +/- .02%. The Police will never do anybody until they reach .07% (for a non- P-plate driver)
Old Mar 29th 2010, 12:37 pm
Account Closed

Sorry to sound like MartinLuther but where does Mark Webber say he thinks hooning and burnouts should be made legal?
That's right. He didn't say that. He said Australia has become so much of a nanny state that driving around "pisses him off".
Old Mar 29th 2010, 12:40 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello. Who's this intelligent sounding guy and what have you done with Lord_Farquar?
Account Closed

I agree with you on this. the interesting thing is my own experiences. My speeding fines in the UK were 33 in a 30 zone, with the road being 2 lanes each way, nice and open. !! (same road each time )

My fines here were on the motorways 130 in a 110 zone, and 80 in a 70 zone.
My view, from my experiences, is that both countries do the same thing.
Apart from the fact that speed limits are higher in the UK and all speed cameras etc must be clearly visible to motorists. In Australia they don't have to make the speed cameras visible and try to hide them as best as they can.

Last edited by Deancm; Mar 29th 2010 at 12:42 pm.
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Deancm
Can an F1 driver be a hoon? His skill level at handling a high performannce motor vehicle far surpasses that of the masses. Were his actions dangerous? Could he have killed anybody?
I agree. I feel I am also a very safe driver, I used to drive like him when I was younger, so he and I should be excluded from these laws ?

The problem comes when a role model does something wrong, and is allowed to be treated differently, is allowed to break the law and get away with it.

If that did happen, I am not sure it would send the right message. ie: he did burnouts but never hurt anyone therefore it is OK.

Comment from the Police:
Deputy Police Commissioner Ken Lay says the state's road toll is distressingly high and Webber should know better.

"That's after a weekend [which left] six dead, four of them attributed to speeding," he said.

"It's really disappointing. Mark Webber's in a unique position where he's got the ability to influence our road users. He's missed an opportunity. He's probably undermined our message.

Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Hello. Who's this intelligent sounding guy?
Oi leave me alone. I've already admitted I was wrong.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 12:44 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

They let him off because the tolerance limits on the alcohol testing machines is +/- .02%. The Police will never do anybody until they reach .07% (for a non- P-plate driver)
yeah but it took 20 mins for him to be tested meaning he was probably even over that when they stopped him
Old Mar 29th 2010, 12:45 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Apart from the fact that speed limits are higher in the UK and all speed cameras etc must be clearly visible to motorists. In Australia they don't have to make the speed cameras visible and try to hide them as best as they can.
Not all the speed limits are higher in the UK. The urban speed limits are slower.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 12:45 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Deputy Police Commissioner Ken Lay says the state's road toll is distressingly high and Webber should know better.

"That's after a weekend [which left] six dead, four of them attributed to speeding," he said.

"It's really disappointing. Mark Webber's in a unique position where he's got the ability to influence our road users. He's missed an opportunity. He's probably undermined our message."

I am on a roll now. Where (Mr Deputy Police Commissioner) did Mark Webber say he endorsed speeding? I though his comments were mainly to do with parking and other traffic rules. Also, I thought Hamilton was done for doing burnouts not excessive speed?
Old Mar 29th 2010, 12:52 pm
ABCDiamond

Apart from the fact that speed limits are higher in the UK
Motorways - UK = 2 kph higher
UK: 70 mph (112kph)
Aus: 68.75 mph 110kph

Built up areas UK = 12 kph lower
UK 30 mph (48 kph)
Aus 37.5 mph (60 kph)

Housing Estates UK = 2 kph lower
UK 30 mph (48 kph)
Aus 31.25 mph (50 kph)

Old Mar 29th 2010, 12:53 pm
Account Closed

yeah but it took 20 mins for him to be tested meaning he was probably even over that when they stopped him
20 mins is not long enough. They make you wait 15 minutes just to get rid of any mouth alcohol residue.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. I feel I am also a very safe driver, I used to drive like him when I was younger, so he and I should be excluded from these laws ?

The problem comes when a role model does something wrong, and is allowed to be treated differently, is allowed to break the law and get away with it.

If that did happen, I am not sure it would send the right message. ie: he did burnouts but never hurt anyone therefore it is OK.

Comment from the Police:
But Lewis Hamilton did get treated the same as anyone else - in fact possibly more harshly as he had the honour of publicly being called a dick-head by Tim Pallas. He admitted he acted like a twatt, and he was duly penalised. Fair enough.

Funny thing though I don't remember Tim Pallas calling Ken Lay a dick-head earlier this year when he was nabbed for speeding, despite being the public face of the road safety campaign. Or maybe he did and I missed it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.