Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Aussie Christmas traditions

Aussie Christmas traditions

Old Nov 11th 2013, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Aussie Christmas traditions

Well after cooking Christmas for all the family every year for the past 40 years.we are going on a cruise, will be so nice to have Christmas dinner cooked for me for a change.. and can't wait for New Year Eve, just hope hubby does not get sea sick
Old Nov 11th 2013, 6:36 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I'm happy with the Aussie Christmas traditions though I wish if I could have a proper wood/charcoal barbecue instead of the gas-fueled kind.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
I'm happy with the Aussie Christmas traditions though I wish if I could have a proper wood/charcoal barbecue instead of the gas-fueled kind.

I have, and they are selling Kamodo grills at Bunnings now..... Lots of Charcoal for sale in the shops around here as the Middle Easterns wont cook any other way.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 9:23 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I have, and they are selling Kamodo grills at Bunnings now..... Lots of Charcoal for sale in the shops around here as the Middle Easterns wont cook any other way.
Wow, they look great. A bit on the pricy side but they look like they're built to last. Will look out for one when I'm next in bunnings.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 11:42 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Apart from the season it's pretty much the same for me here down under.
I prefer it - though - not quite as rushed - despite a tendency for people say it's exactly the same - (generally the people who miss the UK). I put this down to the fact that it's more of a time of year for annual vacation (summer) than a stop for a few days and a ski trip. Here Christmas is a sort of curtain raiser for summer hols - in the UK it's a time to breathe in a long winter.

As long as I have a big box of pies and lollies I am happy.
Pies and lollies is a decent goal.

I am, fundamentally, not a people person (hence I am in IT) so I suffer through the family-based rituals of "The Festive Season".

I hear you about it being more of an opportunity to wind down in Oz and recharge though, I have always worked through the period ... maybe I should just go with flow and totally shut down for a few weeks ...
Old Nov 12th 2013, 2:41 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
They do look good.... I'm still using my ancient Weber, which is great

Your ME pals have got it right - I also won't grill any other way

Poms and Aussies haven't got a clue
Old Nov 12th 2013, 6:16 am
Banned

Both here and in the UK I've tended to take off the extra couple of days needed to make it a two week break. It's hard to find many differences between the ways that we celebrate Christmas in the two countries other than the obvious summer/winter aspects which lead to the obvious differences.

Probably more of a Canberra thing where many of the pollies and public servants and their families leave town, making it easier to get away from the madding crowd here. Oh and the post Christmas sales are a bit non-event which is good since already have all that we need.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 6:18 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Amazulu
They do look good.... I'm still using my ancient Weber, which is great

Your ME pals have got it right - I also won't grill any other way

Poms and Aussies haven't got a clue
That is so true. Sausage sizzle anyone?
Old Nov 12th 2013, 7:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Agree, although people are slowly catching on... mostly due to weber q's and finding out what you can do on a proper grill, then exploring that avenue.

Those Kamodos are good for smoking as well as they can stay lit for 24 hours.... I'm going to try and smoke some salmon eventually..... They do Pizza properly as well as they can maintain temps of 350c plus.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I always have a SS when at Bunnings out of tempation, but it's nothing like a good boerewors roll.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 12:06 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Well, I always have a SS when at Bunnings out of tempation, but it's nothing like a good boerewors roll.
Indeed. Boerewors in a Portugese roll <drool...>
Old Nov 13th 2013, 12:13 am
Banned

In other news: in recent months I've noticed Coles has begun selling boerewors. So that is now both the main supermarkets selling their version of the product. The Coles version is more like the real thing - spices-wise though is was a bit salty. Both seem to contain good quality meat - unlike in SA where they can be a bit variable.

Sorry, back to topic
Old Nov 13th 2013, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

In other news: in recent months I've noticed Coles has begun selling boerewors. So that is now both the main supermarkets selling their version of the product. The Coles version is more like the real thing - spices-wise though is was a bit salty. Both seem to contain good quality meat - unlike in SA where they can be a bit variable.

Sorry, back to topic
Yeah, I noticed a new Coles version this week. Gluten free too!

Anyway it will become my new Aussie Christmas tradition.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of proper Aussie barbecues- my friend is over from the UK and wants a barbie. I've got skippy burgers, prawns and sausages, and will get the stubbies in, but what makes it a "proper" one? Being from the UK, obviously I have no idea.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Speaking of proper Aussie barbecues- my friend is over from the UK and wants a barbie. I've got skippy burgers, prawns and sausages, and will get the stubbies in, but what makes it a "proper" one? Being from the UK, obviously I have no idea.
Sliced up potato and onion cooked on the barbie hotplate is a must. You'll be chopping for hours though. A huge can of sliced beetroot in a green tuppaware container, curried eggs (the yolks taken out, curried, and then piped back into the halved eggs and the reminder piped into sticks of celery). A salad selection to rival sizzler.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.