Wikiposts

Aussie Bashing

Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:42 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of
Default Re: Aussie Bashing

I am an Australian by birth, and I am more negative about the place than anybody I've ever met (or read from on the internet!!).

I think it really is one of those places you either love or hate. Unfortunately for me, I lean more towards the 'hate'.

I can be too negative at times, but I hope some of what I say is helpful. Especially for those who move out here thinking they are reaching a 'Britishified' paradise.

Originally Posted by moneypen20
It becomes 100% bad for some people because they can't see a way out and so everything, even the silliest, most unimportant things, take on great magnitude. Don't knock them until you've been where they are.

Oh, I know that feeling.

I was so miserable living in Korea that the tiniest thing would send me crazy. Luckily there was a forum full of negative expats that I frequented to whinge!!
Old Aug 27th 2008, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SNH
I am an Australian by birth, and I am more negative about the place than anybody I've ever met (or read from on the internet!!).

I think it really is one of those places you either love or hate. Unfortunately for me, I lean more towards the 'hate'.

I can be too negative at times, but I hope some of what I say is helpful. Especially for those who move out here thinking they are reaching a 'Britishified' paradise.

Oh, I know that feeling.

I was so miserable living in Korea that the tiniest thing would send me crazy. Luckily there was a forum full of negative expats that I frequented to whinge!!
God I know what you mean about Korea (well south anyway). I couldn't look a cabbage in the eye for months after being there (how they think burying the stuff underground could possibly enhance it's flavour is beyond me). We found the people to be so lovely. Everyone coughed up and spat out a bit too much phlegm for my liking but hey! Too big a cultural shock for me I'm afraid. Now aussies, they seem to be good bunch ........
Old Aug 27th 2008, 6:49 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Aussie Bashing

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I'm not having any problems at all. Neither are my kids. And, I'm not English...We have Canadian accents. I was only trying to point out to the OP some of the problems faced by people who I've seen post on here over the years.

We did actually move interstate when my husband couldn't find work in SA, but like you said, once he got in with an Aussie company he's now a hot commodity. (Don't tell him that though. It will certainly go to his head.)

I actually love living in Australia and as a matter of fact booked my citizenship test today for the 11th Septemer.
Apologies, you posted as if you were a 'whinging pom'.... Like you say that move elsewhere seems to work for a lot of people. Kids with Canadian accents probably have it good as nobody will be able to figure out where their accent is from half the time.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:49 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
Apologies, you posted as if you were a 'whinging pom'.... Like you say that move elsewhere seems to work for a lot of people. Kids with Canadian accents probably have it good as nobody will be able to figure out where their accent is from half the time.
My kids are starting to gain a little of the Aussie twang, and my accent is softening, but my husband is constantly mistaken for American.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:59 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Aussie Bashing

Originally Posted by Dorothy
My kids are starting to gain a little of the Aussie twang, and my accent is softening, but my husband is constantly mistaken for American.
We're usually Irish, Welsh or Scotish and even when you say which one haven't you said they, as in the Aussies, still struggle to get the right one.