Wikiposts

Aussie Bashing

Old Aug 25th 2008, 2:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie Bashing

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
Never said my life was unenjoyable and I don't really feel I have to justify myself and my views on Oz.
Haven't asked you to justify anything - so have a nice night and don't lose any sleep over it.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 3:06 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tictac
I just have one question to ask.....
Tictac! Love it! I have stolen it to send to my aussie mates
Old Aug 25th 2008, 3:19 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

If i feel like Aussie bashing i shall jolly well do so. I feel i have earnt it after living there several years and putting up with it in reverse.

When i was there i was never 100% miserable, hell, i even laughed now and again. I think you'll find some people come on here largely to get it all off their chest and get on with their real lives without whinging! I know i did!
Its healthy to have somehwere to let out all your frustrations and i thank BE for that.
Sadly, some people make the mistake of thinking online personas reflect the true person. It doesnt.
I have said this several times in MBTTUK forum. I used this place as a tool to help me. Some days to laugh, some days to cry, some days to whinge and some days to help others. All dependant on mood and current situations. I really dont give a toss what anyone else thinks of me good or bad. As long as i get something out of it without abusing others i honestly dont care whether you like it or not.

Have a good day
Old Aug 25th 2008, 3:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
If i feel like Aussie bashing i shall jolly well do so. I feel i have earnt it after living there several years and putting up with it in reverse.
Well good for you! I've got heaps of pommy mates living in Australia and I'm never given them hard time about being a pom, but if you felt victimised then I'm glad you feel justified in tarring a whole nation with the same brush.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 4:33 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by Kim67
Well good for you! I've got heaps of pommy mates living in Australia and I'm never given them hard time about being a pom, but if you felt victimised then I'm glad you feel justified in tarring a whole nation with the same brush.
Thankyou. Much appreciated
Old Aug 25th 2008, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

Rastis will become famous soon enough

It’s a fact that there is a high level of pommie ‘bashing’ in Australia… The majority of the time it’s friendly banter. Just as there is a high level of aussie ‘bashing’ in the UK again the majority of the time it’s friendly banter.

When you are new to a country, your emotions are very raw, you are suddenly a minority (in most suburbs!) You start to notice that you sound different, in some cases look different and start to feel that you ‘stand out’ like a sore thumb causing your confidence to take a battering. This is where the line between friendly banter and someone being nasty is blurred. That banter can so easily be taken out of context when you are emotionally stressed and the ribbing can seem constant.

Also in this situation of being new to a country, when people become unhappy, the rose coloured glasses are replaced with blinkers, and they mostly focus on the negative, and the desperate need is there to bond with the familiar such as surroundings, family and friends, that’s human nature.

This site, is a great release for many people, it’s a place to vent displeasures, share experiences, crow when all is well and celebrate all things good.

In someway it’s a little country of its own… a little Britain. Us aussies on here are the minority, welcomed by most, tolerated by some and thought of as intruders by others. So aussie ‘bashing’ should be expected, sometimes its driven emotionally most times just out of fun.

When I first started to ‘lurk’ on here, I was at times mortified by some of the posts, my country was belittled, my country men and women were being ridiculed, quite often I could feel my blood pressure rising, on many occasions I was furious! But I couldn’t stop reading, I wanted to find out what makes people think the way they do about this country.

It’s been a great eye opener. I found myself observing people while out and about (not in a freaky way!) To my surprise, many comments on here are quite true, sometimes slightly exaggerated… but none the less true.

Here some observations form an Australian perspective.

I never noticed before, but some people do actually wear pyjamas to the shops! I didn’t realise that they were sold as pyjamas as well as trackies till I saw them in a shop as just that…pyjamas.

I’ve watched the way my colleagues interact with people and been more conscious of the way I interact with others, we are a very direct race. I can see how this could be perceived as being arrogant... is it? I don’t think so, if someone is a complete knob, it saves so much time to just tell them “Look mate, you’re a knob, bugger off!” lets face it, Its much better than ending up spending 5 hours on the back of a dingy fishing with someone you really don’t like.

We end sentences “but”, we say “nup”, “How ya goin” and our voice goes up at the end of a sentence, almost like we are asking a question.

There is no class system, but there’s still some form of pecking order.

We aren’t materialistic…yeah right! You should see the boat my neighbour just bought!... Gonna have to trade my dingy in next week!

We suffer from tall poppy syndrome… if you make a lot of money, you’re a stuck-up snot and there is no way you could have made that money legally!

We are patriotic to the extreme… I love that about this country, people are proud of where they live and who they are. I can see how this would be annoying to an ex-pat because the majority are and always will be attached to their home country, and why shouldn’t they be.

Our sports stars are arrogant… or confident, I haven’t quite made up my mind there yet. Our cricket team are sledgers, but sook when its done to them. Not quite as sooky as the Indian team though!

We don’t like loosing… On the whole we can take it on the chin but like any country there are those who just can’t get over the fact that a better team/person won. That can be made difficult when you have a media that looks for every reason they can find, no matter how minor it is, to vindicate that loss.

Ahh the media… god love them… Sensationalism at its best, I stopped watching the news after the Ben Cousins debacle became the top news story, we had to endure 10 minutes of bad boy benny when there where so many more important issues deserving top billing. Why they insist on putting a sport story ahead of REAL news I have no idea, a view held by many other aussies also.

And we love to whinge and whinge and whinge but we’re not really whinging of course, we’re just making a statement…
Old Aug 25th 2008, 5:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rastis
It’s a fact that there is a high level of pommie ‘bashing’ in Australia… The majority of the time it’s friendly banter. Just as there is a high level of aussie ‘bashing’ in the UK again the majority of the time it’s friendly banter.

When you are new to a country, your emotions are very raw, you are suddenly a minority (in most suburbs!) You start to notice that you sound different, in some cases look different and start to feel that you ‘stand out’ like a sore thumb causing your confidence to take a battering. This is where the line between friendly banter and someone being nasty is blurred. That banter can so easily be taken out of context when you are emotionally stressed and the ribbing can seem constant.

Also in this situation of being new to a country, when people become unhappy, the rose coloured glasses are replaced with blinkers, and they mostly focus on the negative, and the desperate need is there to bond with the familiar such as surroundings, family and friends, that’s human nature.

This site, is a great release for many people, it’s a place to vent displeasures, share experiences, crow when all is well and celebrate all things good.

In someway it’s a little country of its own… a little Britain. Us aussies on here are the minority, welcomed by most, tolerated by some and thought of as intruders by others. So aussie ‘bashing’ should be expected, sometimes its driven emotionally most times just out of fun.

When I first started to ‘lurk’ on here, I was at times mortified by some of the posts, my country was belittled, my country men and women were being ridiculed, quite often I could feel my blood pressure rising, on many occasions I was furious! But I couldn’t stop reading, I wanted to find out what makes people think the way they do about this country.

It’s been a great eye opener. I found myself observing people while out and about (not in a freaky way!) To my surprise, many comments on here are quite true, sometimes slightly exaggerated… but none the less true.

Here some observations form an Australian perspective.

I never noticed before, but some people do actually wear pyjamas to the shops! I didn’t realise that they were sold as pyjamas as well as trackies till I saw them in a shop as just that…pyjamas.

I’ve watched the way my colleagues interact with people and been more conscious of the way I interact with others, we are a very direct race. I can see how this could be perceived as being arrogant... is it? I don’t think so, if someone is a complete knob, it saves so much time to just tell them “Look mate, you’re a knob, bugger off!” lets face it, Its much better than ending up spending 5 hours on the back of a dingy fishing with someone you really don’t like.

We end sentences “but”, we say “nup”, “How ya goin” and our voice goes up at the end of a sentence, almost like we are asking a question.

There is no class system, but there’s still some form of pecking order.

We aren’t materialistic…yeah right! You should see the boat my neighbour just bought!... Gonna have to trade my dingy in next week!

We suffer from tall poppy syndrome… if you make a lot of money, you’re a stuck-up snot and there is no way you could have made that money legally!

We are patriotic to the extreme… I love that about this country, people are proud of where they live and who they are. I can see how this would be annoying to an ex-pat because the majority are and always will be attached to their home country, and why shouldn’t they be.

Our sports stars are arrogant… or confident, I haven’t quite made up my mind there yet. Our cricket team are sledgers, but sook when its done to them. Not quite as sooky as the Indian team though!

We don’t like loosing… On the whole we can take it on the chin but like any country there are those who just can’t get over the fact that a better team/person won. That can be made difficult when you have a media that looks for every reason they can find, no matter how minor it is, to vindicate that loss.

Ahh the media… god love them… Sensationalism at its best, I stopped watching the news after the Ben Cousins debacle became the top news story, we had to endure 10 minutes of bad boy benny when there where so many more important issues deserving top billing. Why they insist on putting a sport story ahead of REAL news I have no idea, a view held by many other aussies also.

And we love to whinge and whinge and whinge but we’re not really whinging of course, we’re just making a statement…
Good post, a nice balanced perspective.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 6:00 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

is Aussie bashing another euphemism for wanking?

Seriously, the yoof of today are beyond
me!
Old Aug 25th 2008, 11:17 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but where did Flea say she was feeling victimised? I've never heard her refer to herself as a victim at all. Quite the opposite, in fact.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
It becomes 100% bad for some people because they can't see a way out and so everything, even the silliest, most unimportant things, take on great magnitude. Don't knock them until you've been where they are.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You have obviously never been unhappy. What about those who have given up their entire lives only to find that they are unable to find work? Or that the job they came over to work at is crap? The children are bullied for their accents? When you are in this position it's hard to find anything positive to comment on at all.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Not annoyed at all. Just can't understand why a young guy like yourself can't find anything to make your life enjoyable in Australia. But as I said, I hope you do cheer up and find what you're looking for in Europe.
Better wages. And dont take me wrong, i like australia.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ausi dream
Better wages. And dont take me wrong, i like australia.
Yeah I see the new thread started by you - good to see a more balanced view for people who are thinking of going to Australia.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 7:40 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You have obviously never been unhappy. What about those who have given up their entire lives only to find that they are unable to find work? Or that the job they came over to work at is crap? The children are bullied for their accents? When you are in this position it's hard to find anything positive to comment on at all.
If you are having that many problems maybe you need to try a different area as not all English kids are bullied because to their accents. Many of us work and our kids go to schools where there are sometimes that many different immigrants that the Aussies are in the minority at times which must start to pi$$ them off as it did us when we were in the UK watching everyone stream in.

Think there are still more job and own business opportunities here than UK, it's just being creative in what you will do or accept to get on the Aussie ladder. As for some reason, they see you as a non person until you've had your first job here and then suddenly all sorts opens up.

Quite a few people on the various threads have started off in one area and found a move to another has given them the things they were missing in their first choice of Aussie location.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 9:38 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
If you are having that many problems maybe you need to try a different area as not all English kids are bullied because to their accents. Many of us work and our kids go to schools where there are sometimes that many different immigrants that the Aussies are in the minority at times which must start to pi$$ them off as it did us when we were in the UK watching everyone stream in.

Think there are still more job and own business opportunities here than UK, it's just being creative in what you will do or accept to get on the Aussie ladder. As for some reason, they see you as a non person until you've had your first job here and then suddenly all sorts opens up.

Quite a few people on the various threads have started off in one area and found a move to another has given them the things they were missing in their first choice of Aussie location.
I'm not having any problems at all. Neither are my kids. And, I'm not English...We have Canadian accents. I was only trying to point out to the OP some of the problems faced by people who I've seen post on here over the years.

We did actually move interstate when my husband couldn't find work in SA, but like you said, once he got in with an Aussie company he's now a hot commodity. (Don't tell him that though. It will certainly go to his head.)

I actually love living in Australia and as a matter of fact booked my citizenship test today for the 11th Septemer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.