Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Attitudes towards the english in general

Attitudes towards the english in general

Old Feb 8th 2011, 11:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Attitudes towards the english in general

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
never had anything other than genuine banter in all the years we've been here and neither has anyone I know.

Generally Aussies are an accepting bunch, even if we do stink

^^^^^ Same answer here.

I can never work out how some people develop such a adverse reaction to the banter. Can anyone work out how the offense takers minds work ?
Old Feb 8th 2011, 1:20 pm
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

Where does banter stop and bullying/xenophobia/racism start?

I can see that being called a 'Pommy %$*&^#@' can be seen as jokey banter. I'd find it boring after the first few times, but understand that others don't, but where do you draw the line?

My oh was telling me that a woman who holds a fairly senior position was speaking at a public meeting when she said "The trouble with (insert organisation name) is that it they will insist on employing Euro trash". I know it sour grapes because the organisation wouldn't ever employ her, but surely she shouldn't be allowed to say things like that especially in a public meeting?
It's not the first time she's said such things (and much worse), but she gets away with it and keeps her well paid job.

At what point is it not ok?
Old Feb 8th 2011, 1:37 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Never encountered anything but friendliness, help and support. If the subject of place of origin ever comes up, most Aussies I know will quickly lay claim to an British/European ancestor.

You shouldn't have any worries at all. If you ever meet bad comments, just remember, they haven't really got the brains to be racist they are just thick and pig ignorant. Same as you can find anywhere in the world.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 2:21 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CEM
Where does banter stop and bullying/xenophobia/racism start?

I can see that being called a 'Pommy %$*&^#@' can be seen as jokey banter. I'd find it boring after the first few times, but understand that others don't, but where do you draw the line?

My oh was telling me that a woman who holds a fairly senior position was speaking at a public meeting when she said "The trouble with (insert organisation name) is that it they will insist on employing Euro trash". I know it sour grapes because the organisation wouldn't ever employ her, but surely she shouldn't be allowed to say things like that especially in a public meeting?
It's not the first time she's said such things (and much worse), but she gets away with it and keeps her well paid job.

At what point is it not ok?
That is out of order and I would complain in that instance. There is absolutley no way that could be classed as banter.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Pommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nice

been here over 40 years from Uk. heard it all. pommie this and that. used to give abit back . long as you can take a joke they are all ok.

heard many of stories how we dont wash lol. I think this was befor uk got all the showers in.
Must admit thou when I went back in August. they dont shower as often as we do here I like my shower morning and night.

I stayed with relatives had trouble everytime id used there shower. they would say to me u washing your hair again

then I stayed with a another relative for one night and the dam shower was not working dam I though. Pommie wash had to have. arh just a saying here I say it myself now.

Then went to stay with another relative for a night great shower then found out the loo would not flush OMG.

then stayed with another friend had to hold this thing coming out of the tap in the bath very hard to do standing holding it and trying to wash ya self down. when I wanted to wash my hair I had to get out the bath and lean over to wash my hair !!
so yes when i got back home here i just loved my shower missed it so much.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Pommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nice

id have to say most of the Aussies are great, thou when I first came over whne I was in my 20s had a few run inns here & there. but we were alot younger and also we do abit of stirring up

I said Id never marry an Aussie. but ended up marring one. whos been the great husband.alot of the pommie bashing is just said in a way of breaking the ice talking to you. they are mostly all good.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 9:47 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pommie Aussie
alot of the pommie bashing is just said in a way of breaking the ice talking to you. they are mostly all good.
Try using 'aussie bashing' as a way of breaking the ice.

That will go down really well
Old Feb 8th 2011, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pommie Aussie
been here over 40 years from Uk. heard it all. pommie this and that. used to give abit back . long as you can take a joke they are all ok.

heard many of stories how we dont wash lol. I think this was befor uk got all the showers in.
Must admit thou when I went back in August. they dont shower as often as we do here I like my shower morning and night.

I stayed with relatives had trouble everytime id used there shower. they would say to me u washing your hair again

then I stayed with a another relative for one night and the dam shower was not working dam I though. Pommie wash had to have. arh just a saying here I say it myself now.

Then went to stay with another relative for a night great shower then found out the loo would not flush OMG.

then stayed with another friend had to hold this thing coming out of the tap in the bath very hard to do standing holding it and trying to wash ya self down. when I wanted to wash my hair I had to get out the bath and lean over to wash my hair !!
so yes when i got back home here i just loved my shower missed it so much.
God you have a great collection of manky smelly rellies and friends dont you! I would suggest that is not typical of a normal British family thogh.

Personally not old enough to remember a time in the uk when people didn't have/use showers but find it ironic that Aussies have this notion that the British don't ever wash when ever since we got here in Vic, Australia all they have gone on about is water restrictions and how you should only ever spend less than 4 minutes in the shower. (and certainly shouldnt be showering twice a day!)
We even all got sent little egg-timers by the govt to help us comply!! And how if you have ever ever have a bath you should share the water. I know it is an environmental water shortage thing but still pot kettle black does spring to mind...
Never ever had that lack of water to wash problem in Scotland!!
Although admittedly the water can be a bit nippy sometimes, swimming in the the North sea not highly recommended..!
Old Feb 8th 2011, 10:45 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Have once had the term pomme used as an insult.... Stinking pommes ... In the context of some one who clearly hated ALL immigrants.. It wasn't used in good humour, it wasn't friendly ..... It was the venom behind rhe useage rhat made it an insult...
However that would be just as insulting if they'd said Stinking Brit or even Stinking Biatch. It's not the Pom bit that's insulting.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
even if we do stink
Speak for yourself. Have you figured out what soap is yet and are your towels all dry?
Old Feb 8th 2011, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Grayling
Try using 'aussie bashing' as a way of breaking the ice.

That will go down really well
yeh done that lol
Old Feb 8th 2011, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diddy
Alot of them will tell you about a relly that orginally came from UK.
That's the thing. Most do come from Pommy stock. I think most Aussies secretly wish they were British. I've never had any problems. Get called a pom by my mates but all in good jest.

In some ways I think it is an advantage being a pom. It certainly helps with meeting women!
Old Feb 8th 2011, 11:24 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
God you have a great collection of manky smelly rellies and friends dont you! I would suggest that is not typical of a normal British family thogh.

Personally not old enough to remember a time in the uk when people didn't have/use showers but find it ironic that Aussies have this notion that the British don't ever wash when ever since we got here in Vic, Australia all they have gone on about is water restrictions and how you should only ever spend less than 4 minutes in the shower. (and certainly shouldnt be showering twice a day!)
We even all got sent little egg-timers by the govt to help us comply!! And how if you have ever ever have a bath you should share the water. I know it is an environmental water shortage thing but still pot kettle black does spring to mind...
Never ever had that lack of water to wash problem in Scotland!!
Although admittedly the water can be a bit nippy sometimes, swimming in the the North sea not highly recommended..!
I can shower in 90 seconds - as per my military training. I'm not saying that I always do it this way, but 90 seconds is all that a male needs to get his body and hair clean. Easy peasy.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I can shower in 90 seconds - as per my military training. I'm not saying that I always do it this way, but 90 seconds is all that a male needs to get his body and hair clean. Easy peasy.
90 seconds?? That is a bit extreme.
But as a bloke i'm guessing you most probably have short hair and don't use hair conditioner, exfoliate etc etc. (unless you are the mullet/ metrosexual type that is. )
Trust me it's not so easy when you are a female and i really miss having guilt free long hot (or cold, depending on the weather) showers and deep bubbly baths.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 11:40 pm
your fair weather friend!

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

the only time I've had any inkling of anti English sentiment was when I joined a local cricket club. The majority of the fellas were typical ocker blokes who'd never travelled out of Australia. Everything was fine so long as you just went along with their racist bigoted view of the world, ie everywhere outside Australia is shit, except Bali which is part of Australia, if you drink wine you're a poof, England is a dump with shit weather, the English are crap at sport and drink tea all the time, and don't wash, English men are poofs.......
At first it was kind of funny to be surrounded by such stereotypes, but after a while I felt wary of saying anything, in case they jumped on my accent or pronunciation. Let's face it, they were idiots. Needless to say I gave up on the cricket club!
Since that time I've never come across such behaviour, but I'm sure it's there, in most clubs, be they cricket, tennis, sailing, footy......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.