Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Attitudes towards the english in general

Attitudes towards the english in general

Old Feb 7th 2011, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold
Default Attitudes towards the english in general

Are the english given the same sort of piss taking has any other migrant, or is it just a game between the two nations?
Has an outsider looking in and moving over very soon, it does seem to be just banter and friendly banter at that, but you do hear stories of being spat at and called all sorts of names until you fit in then its on to the next victim. No one likes to be treated badly, but a little piss taking works both ways surely.
Or are all english seen has lazy/smelly/loud and boring?
I am english and proud of it, yes we are moving to another country, but i will still be english just won't be shouting it about, no one would understand my black country accent anyway, ah bet ya
Old Feb 7th 2011, 3:06 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Attitudes towards the english in general

never had anything other than genuine banter in all the years we've been here and neither has anyone I know.

Generally Aussies are an accepting bunch, even if we do stink
Old Feb 7th 2011, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

owen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really nice

Give a little take a little, ive had no issues at all mate.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 6:25 pm
TGA
Banned

TGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond repute

I think as long as foreigners observe certain protocol it all good.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

sammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by deb68
Are the english given the same sort of piss taking has any other migrant, or is it just a game between the two nations?
Has an outsider looking in and moving over very soon, it does seem to be just banter and friendly banter at that, but you do hear stories of being spat at and called all sorts of names until you fit in then its on to the next victim. No one likes to be treated badly, but a little piss taking works both ways surely.
I am english and proud of it, yes we are moving to another country, but i will still be english just won't be shouting it about, no one would understand my black country accent anyway, ah bet ya
Been here 8 years and have never once had anything nasty said to me about being English or a "Pom". Been called a Pom or Pommy once or twice, which doesn't bother me as it's never been said in a bad way. I have always found the Aussies great, very friendly and down to Earth.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Have once had the term pomme used as an insult.... Stinking pommes ... In the context of some one who clearly hated ALL immigrants.. It wasn't used in good humour, it wasn't friendly ..... It was the venom behind rhe useage rhat made it an insult...

We eventually rubbed along for a couple of years....but on the whole i find rhat so long as i take this piss out of myself first, take it with a smile and big up my adopted country (which isnt exactly a chore) my being a pommie barsteward isnt a big issue....
Old Feb 7th 2011, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

All good banter in my experience, but you have to give as good as you get!

For me it got worse (in a fun way) after I became an Australian citizen, as my workmates get me from both sides and I'm a "traitor" to one side or the other, depending on the circumstances (usually sport related).

There are some genuine racists here like anywhere, but they seem to focus more on the non-white section of our society. Some of the radio "shock jocks" are quite objectionable, but you don't have to listen to them!
Old Feb 7th 2011, 11:12 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
never had anything other than genuine banter in all the years we've been here and neither has anyone I know.

Generally Aussies are an accepting bunch, even if we do stink
Same here.... only ever heard it in banter, never as an insult. But I guess that it does happen every now and then. Can't be much fun being on the receiving end.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 12:47 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it depends on what industry your working in.
My wife is in the health service and has only been called a pom once in 20 odd years.
I wear a few different hats that take me from building site work one day to performing in the arts the next.
On site I have had a lot of banter and some abuse.
In the arts,hardly any and any talk of England is usually positive and about it being the hub of the arts.
I've noticed this with Australians.
It's all we're multicultural this,that and the other.But if you dangle a bit of racist bate,you'll soon have a bite.
In the past,though born in England I've played on my Irish roots to get work and when I've told them I'm Irish the pommy bashing flows.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 12:47 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
Same here.... only ever heard it in banter, never as an insult. But I guess that it does happen every now and then. Can't be much fun being on the receiving end.
i have heard comments against others but not the English / poms and if i have heard it ive stopped it sharp. The largest majority of Aussies just want a quiet life and to rub along with everyone from all walks of life and this suits us too
Old Feb 8th 2011, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by ukecadet
I think it depends on what industry your working in.
My wife is in the health service and has only been called a pom once in 20 odd years.
I wear a few different hats that take me from building site work one day to performing in the arts the next.
On site I have had a lot of banter and some abuse.
In the arts,hardly any and any talk of England is usually positive and about it being the hub of the arts.
I've noticed this with Australians.
It's all we're multicultural this,that and the other.But if you dangle a bit of racist bate,you'll soon have a bite.
In the past,though born in England I've played on my Irish roots to get work and when I've told them I'm Irish the pommy bashing flows.
exactly mate. There will always be idiots around the thing is to let them know its not acceptable and they soon shut up but the majority of people are like the rest of us and want to get along
Old Feb 8th 2011, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by deb68
No trouble with it at all as long as you're able to give a bit back, not take it to heart and don't go forcing your proud Englishness down their throats
Old Feb 8th 2011, 10:13 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUlw4...ayer_embedded#
Old Feb 8th 2011, 10:38 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by commonwealth
Is he your type then?
Old Feb 8th 2011, 10:59 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Generally found that most Aussies couldn't care less. Alot of them will tell you about a relly that orginally came from UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.