Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Attending Uni with a PR Visa?

Attending Uni with a PR Visa?

Old Jul 22nd 2009, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

The Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant future
Default Attending Uni with a PR Visa?

Hi,
Can anyone please tell me whether there are any restrictions on a kid with a PR Visa attending Uni in Australia? We are still in UK but planning to come out in 2010 when my daughter is 18 and eligible (pending exam results of course) to go to Uni. I think someone told me before that unless you live there for a couple of years before you apply for Uni, you have to pay as an International Student rather than as a resident?
Is this true? It is hard enough trying to persuade her that she should consider attending Uni in Aus as it is, but if it ends up costing an arm and a leg, she'll be using that as another reason why she should stay behind and study here, leaving the rest of us to go without her.....which is a heartbreaking choice for me as her Mum...
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Attending Uni with a PR Visa?

I don't know if it makes any difference what age you are, but I completed a uni course last year on a PR visa (I'm in my twenties). You pay domestic fees, NOT international - which makes a huge difference! However, you do have to pay them upfront, as you cannot access the loans system which is available to citizens. When I started my course I'd been resident for about a year, but I don't recall any questions about that on the application.

Good luck!
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

The Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by esperanza
I don't know if it makes any difference what age you are, but I completed a uni course last year on a PR visa (I'm in my twenties). You pay domestic fees, NOT international - which makes a huge difference! However, you do have to pay them upfront, as you cannot access the loans system which is available to citizens. When I started my course I'd been resident for about a year, but I don't recall any questions about that on the application.

Good luck!
Hi esperanza,

Thanks for that - did you have to pay the fees for the entire course upfront? I mean all three or four years (not sure which it is)...?
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Gold Gang
Hi esperanza,

Thanks for that - did you have to pay the fees for the entire course upfront? I mean all three or four years (not sure which it is)...?
Sorry, that wasn't clear! No - just each semester, so payment twice a year.