Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Puppies in Tanks - shocked!

Puppies in Tanks - shocked!

Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:47 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Puppies in Tanks - shocked!

I recall when I was in Oz in 2003 seeing puppies for sale in pet shops, in tanks, this was in a shopping centre in Adelaide, is this widespread throughout Oz?! If so, I don't think it's right, how do they get away with it?!?! I remember having to say to the geezer behind the till that one of the pups had just chucked up everywhere and he might be advised to clean it...

Not good, anyone else got thoughts on this?
Old Jul 19th 2009, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

ronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to all
Default Re: Puppies in Tanks - shocked!

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
I recall when I was in Oz in 2003 seeing puppies for sale in pet shops, in tanks, this was in a shopping centre in Adelaide, is this widespread throughout Oz?! If so, I don't think it's right, how do they get away with it?!?! I remember having to say to the geezer behind the till that one of the pups had just chucked up everywhere and he might be advised to clean it...

Not good, anyone else got thoughts on this?

Absolutely wrong and totally against animal rights. . I would request everyone who has ever witnessed cruelty against animals anywhere, please report it to PETA.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 5:47 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ronan_in_Oz
Absolutely wrong and totally against animal rights. . I would request everyone who has ever witnessed cruelty against animals anywhere, please report it to PETA.
Maybe it's considered as acceptable in Oz though, that's what I'm trying to find out...
Old Jul 19th 2009, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yup quite acceptable. They are big tanks though and you wouldnt want them in wire cages where people can poke things through the bars.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 7:37 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by quoll
Yup quite acceptable. They are big tanks though and you wouldnt want them in wire cages where people can poke things through the bars.
Quite acceptable to some...not something I found acceptable...but each to their own...hmmmm
Old Jul 19th 2009, 7:47 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

It wasn't so much the tank thing I found unacceptable, it was the fact they were in a pet shop and any ejit could've bought them! We breed Rottys and Dobs and are strict as to what sort of home they go to, vetting the prospective owners etc etc etc......
Old Jul 19th 2009, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Stockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to all

Can't speak for Australia but here in the US, puppies sold in pet shops are for the most part, bred in hideous "puppy mills", with little thought given to the health or welfare of the dogs involved. Sadly, this is still legal.

It breaks my heart to walk through a mall and see people buying puppies from these vile places.

http://www.aspca.org/fight-animal-cr...FRdGxwoddDW5bw
Old Jul 19th 2009, 8:23 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Every single pet shop I've seen in Aus has been spotlessly clean and the small animals well fed and looked after. All the pets have looked happy and not at all disturbed and generally they are only put on display for certain hours of exposure to protect them and allow them to sleep and rest.

This thread has been started for its shock factor but don't judge things before you actually live here. No doubt some people abuse pets as is the case anywhere in the world however pet shops are highly regulated and for the most part they work to strict rules & guidelines.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 8:27 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Every single pet shop I've seen in Aus has been spotlessly clean and the small animals well fed and looked after. All the pets have looked happy and not at all disturbed and generally they are only put on display for certain hours of exposure to protect them and allow them to sleep and rest.

This thread has been started for its shock factor but don't judge things before you actually live here. No doubt some people abuse pets as is the case anywhere in the world however pet shops are highly regulated and for the most part they work to strict rules & guidelines.
I didn't start the thread for 'shock factor', I wanted to know if this was the case Australia wide as I'd only seen it in Adelaide, I didn't intend for it to shock, so please, (you know I'm not that type of poster) change the title if you'd like, I won't be annoyed! I feel bad now...
Old Jul 19th 2009, 8:53 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Whenever I visit a pet shop I havn't been and they sell puppies and kittens etc I make it a point to ask for the manager and tell him that I won't be buying anything from their shop today or ever whilst they continue to trade in something which has been banned a lot of western nations.

They won't give a shit probably. But who knows if one day the message gets through...

Whether or not the puppies are cared for, its simply no substitute for a breeder where they get to spend time with the mother in decent non puppy mill conditions before (hopefully) being placed into a decent home, rather than being bought as a Christmas present...

Until then I shall shop at the RSPCA which is excellent and the local Produce which is about half the price of any pet shop anyhow.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 9:02 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Centurion
Whenever I visit a pet shop I havn't been and they sell puppies and kittens etc I make it a point to ask for the manager and tell him that I won't be buying anything from their shop today or ever whilst they continue to trade in something which has been banned a lot of western nations.

They won't give a shit probably. But who knows if one day the message gets through...

Whether or not the puppies are cared for, its simply no substitute for a breeder where they get to spend time with the mother in decent non puppy mill conditions before (hopefully) being placed into a decent home, rather than being bought as a Christmas present...

Until then I shall shop at the RSPCA which is excellent and the local Produce which is about half the price of any pet shop anyhow.
Here here...I was close to tears when I saw it to be honest. I am from a 'doggy family'; we run boarding kennels and as I said previous, we breed Rottys and Dobs and really nurture them so they grow up to be wonderfully natured animals.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 9:06 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Jen, I have to admit my first thoughts were along those lines too - you saw them in 2003 so you must have been in shock for a very long time if you have just managed to post about it now.

Yes, there are pets in tanks and cages. No, it's not right. However I'm sure I read just last week that the law may be changing soon, so let's hope it is, and meanwhile not patronise such stores.

BTW I just googled for news on this - couldn't find it, sorry - and an ad came up for buying pets online.

(All my cats were rescues.)
Old Jul 19th 2009, 9:12 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Seasider
Well, Jen, I have to admit my first thoughts were along those lines too - you saw them in 2003 so you must have been in shock for a very long time if you have just managed to post about it now.

Yes, there are pets in tanks and cages. No, it's not right. However I'm sure I read just last week that the law may be changing soon, so let's hope it is, and meanwhile not patronise such stores.

BTW I just googled for news on this - couldn't find it, sorry - and an ad came up for buying pets online.

(All my cats were rescues.)
Yes, I remember that, your cat's have really rotten breath I remember you telling me lol
Old Jul 19th 2009, 9:18 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

I visited Perth in 2007 & 2008 & yup they are in shop windows there too... Most of them were just sleeping tho, not much to do I suppose being stuck in there all day.....
Old Jul 19th 2009, 9:21 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by tawkins1
I visited Perth in 2007 & 2008 & yup they are in shop windows there too... Most of them were just sleeping tho, not much to do I suppose being stuck in there all day.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.