Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Ashes 2010 thread. Who's gonna win?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Who will win the 2010 Ashes series?
Australia
23.68%
England
67.11%
Series Drawn (England retain the ashes)
9.21%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Ashes 2010 thread. Who's gonna win?

Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:05 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ashes 2010 thread. Who's gonna win?

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Fair points but if he could just rein himself in a tad then he could be really great ... not easy when your instinct is to impose yourself on everything and maybe if he did try it would wreck his natural game.

I'll take him as he stands on balance but it is frustrating to imagine what he could do if he batted like he did earlier in the series ... even he admitted he had a problem with looking long-term at an innings and the need to change down a cog or two in certain situations.
Ok, well using the Oval 05 as an example, if you can think back that far. That innings is what made him and cemented himself as a test batsman. It is also what made him a feared batsman all around the world.

I remember him coming out after lunch, when he was still only on 30 odd and absolutely pounding Brett Lee for successive hook shot sixes. Every one of those shots had me wincing and looking through my hands in despair, waiting for one of the fielders they had on that boundary to take the catch. He then took on Shane Warne in similar fashion. He does this not just out of pure instinct, but it is a team orientated move. Hussey did exactly the same to Swann in Brisbane. He decided he wanted to go after Swann (Warne and Lee in 05) so that they would be moved out of the attack quickly, as the batsman knew they/he was the most dangerous bowler/s. In Hussey and KP's case it worked as all the bowlers were taken from the attack.

Had KP been caught off one of those ambitious sixes we would have lost that test, and more importantly the Ashes! The Aussies had us in that test until KP went on the offensive.

The best example of it working and not working for KP was Adelaide in 06'. In the first innings he made 158 (again) with Warne having no way of stopping his extravagant runs, to the point that Warne started bowling around the wicket (modern equivalent of bodyline tactics). Over night KP said "Warne will never get me out bowling around the wicket". In the second innings, KP went out and boldly played the same way, except that Warne DID get him out bowling around the wicket! Disregarding Collingwood's amazing 206* KP was really the only reason we weren't beaten by an innings in every single test of that series and I think that if you are going to accept his successes you have to be willing to accept his silly mistakes
Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders

I hear this very regularly from die-hard cricket fan friends of mine. The problem with your "argument" about him needing to "grow up" is that if he did do that no one would enjoy watching him play and he probably wouldn't be the devastating batsman he is. The fact is that he IS a flamboyant batsman, who goes for his shots. That is what got him selected for England, that is what has made him the batsman he is today and that is what makes him one of the most feared batsmen in the cricket world. Change that and you change him and the game of cricket.

Sorry but it's a completely stupid argument. I'd understand your concerns if we had an entire team of Pietersens who hit out at everything, but we don't, we have a finely balanced batting line-up that complements his game.

You have to take the highs with the lows in all sports and sometimes your strengths can be your weaknesses. On another day he might have hit it for six and you would have probably praising him for a smashing shot

It's not a stupid argument at all. If Pietersen wants to go down as a great test batsmen then he needs to wise up and stop playing stupid shots. There is a time to be flamboyant and a time to remember it's a team game. At the time Pietersen was out he put England in a precarious position. Pietersens stats don't stack up and when he is finished he will be remembered as only an average batsman. He has more than enough talent to be remembered as a great. I don't buy the he can't change crap, it just seems he is not smart enough too.
What's good about England these days is even if Pietersen is not playing England do not rely on him, he could have stayed in England and we still would have won the ashes just like we did in 2009.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:11 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by papilon
It's not a stupid argument at all. If Pietersen wants to go down as a great test batsmen then he needs to wise up and stop playing stupid shots. There is a time to be flamboyant and a time to remember it's a team game. At the time Pietersen was out he put England in a precarious position. Pietersens stats don't stack up and when he is finished he will be remembered as only an average batsman. He has more than enough talent to be remembered as a great. I don't buy the he can't change crap, it just seems he is not smart enough too.
What's good about England these days is even if Pietersen is not playing England do not rely on him, he could have stayed in England and we still would have won the ashes just like we did in 2009.
As batsmen, Flintoft and Botham were just like Pietersen, and were still match winners
Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:21 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

He has come back from a crippling injury that took him a while to get to grips with (this series in fact). That meant his average dipped below 50 for the first time in his career. If he carries on in the same form he has shown in this series that average will go back up to above 50, which is not "average" but in fact very good (Sachin is currently on 56 average which is deemed excellent).

He is definitely not a batsman in the same league as Sachin, or Ponting or Lara for that matter. They, in their primes were freaks of cricket. KP is not one of them. I would put KP in the same league as Sehwag, Sangakarra, Hayden and co, who were deemed as very good batsmen and their stats stood up to that. So far KP's do too. As for your point about England being in a precarious position at the time, read my other post about the Oval in 05' that won us the Ashes, that is no different, except that one paid off and he probably played more risky shots in that innings than he did yesterday!

Last edited by Broad Shoulders; Jan 4th 2011 at 7:24 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:26 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by mikelincs
As batsmen, Flintoft and Botham were just like Pietersen, and were still match winners
As were/are Gilchrist, Sehwag, Jayasuriya, Gayle. All of which will be remembered as very good batsmen who like/d to flash their bat whenever they could
Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:27 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, well using the Oval 05 as an example, if you can think back that far. That innings is what made him and cemented himself as a test batsman. It is also what made him a feared batsman all around the world.

I remember him coming out after lunch, when he was still only on 30 odd and absolutely pounding Brett Lee for successive hook shot sixes. Every one of those shots had me wincing and looking through my hands in despair, waiting for one of the fielders they had on that boundary to take the catch. He then took on Shane Warne in similar fashion. He does this not just out of pure instinct, but it is a team orientated move. Hussey did exactly the same to Swann in Brisbane. He decided he wanted to go after Swann (Warne and Lee in 05) so that they would be moved out of the attack quickly, as the batsman knew they/he was the most dangerous bowler/s. In Hussey and KP's case it worked as all the bowlers were taken from the attack.

Had KP been caught off one of those ambitious sixes we would have lost that test, and more importantly the Ashes! The Aussies had us in that test until KP went on the offensive.

The best example of it working and not working for KP was Adelaide in 06'. In the first innings he made 158 (again) with Warne having no way of stopping his extravagant runs, to the point that Warne started bowling around the wicket (modern equivalent of bodyline tactics). Over night KP said "Warne will never get me out bowling around the wicket". In the second innings, KP went out and boldly played the same way, except that Warne DID get him out bowling around the wicket! Disregarding Collingwood's amazing 206* KP was really the only reason we weren't beaten by an innings in every single test of that series and I think that if you are going to accept his successes you have to be willing to accept his silly mistakes
I'd rather he was in the team than not and yes, I agree, when on song he can be the difference but I still reckon he could take a step back occasionally.

Hell, I bat like a bunny in the headlights so what do I know?
Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

He has come back from a crippling injury that took him a while to get to grips with (this series in fact). That meant his average dipped below 50 for the first time in his career. If he carries on in the same form he has shown in this series that average will go back up to above 50, which is not "average" but in fact very good (Sachin is currently on 56 average which is deemed excellent).

He is definitely not a batsman in the same league as Sachin, or Ponting or Lara for that matter. They, in their primes were freaks of cricket. KP is not one of them. I would put KP in the same league as Sehwag, Sangakarra, Hayden and co, who were deemed as very good batsmen and their stats stood up to that. So far KP's do too. As for your point about England being in a precarious position at the time, read my other post about the Oval in 05' that won us the Ashes, that is no different, except that one paid off and he probably played more risky shots in that innings than he did yesterday!

Pietersen is probably more a number 5 or 6 test batsman, but a very good one day and t20 player.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:36 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Pietersen is probably more a number 5 or 6 test batsman, but a very good one day and t20 player.
As a general rule of thumb, your best batsman should bat at 3 or 4. KP's average suggests that he is that. (Trott has not played enough tests or countries to qualify for that spot IMO, time will tell)

Tendulkar
Chanderpaul
Lara
Ponting
Bopara*
Kallis

all played either 3 or 4 for most of their careers

*slipped in for Vim
Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

As a general rule of thumb, your best batsman should bat at 3 or 4. KP's average suggests that he is that. (Trott has not played enough tests or countries to qualify for that spot IMO, time will tell)

Tendulkar
Chanderpaul
Lara
Ponting
Bopara*
Kallis

all played either 3 or 4 for most of their careers

*slipped in for Vim
Cook
Strauss
Trott
Bell
Morgan
Pietersen
Prior
Broad
Swann
Tremlett
Anderson
Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

ICC investigating worrying reports of irregular betting patterns in the fifth test at Sydney. Some people backed Australia
Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:47 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

ICC investigating worrying reports of irregular betting patterns in the fifth test at Sydney. Some people backed Australia
Must have been because of all those Butts getting kicked
Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cook
Strauss
Trott
Bell
Morgan
Pietersen
Prior
Broad
Swann
Tremlett
Anderson
The only one in this lineup that has a chance of going down as a batting test great is Cook, and thats because he is only 26 and hopefully can improve and learn.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 8:06 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

The only one in this lineup that has a chance of going down as a batting test great is Cook, and thats because he is only 26 and hopefully can improve and learn.
In terms of number of runs, I agree with you. But it is going to take some mighty batting to up his average above 50 as he has already played 65 odd tests.

He'll easily become England's greatest run scorer though as he's only 3,500 runs off Gooch's record. He should easily achieve 10,000, which I think KP will do too, but with a higher average
Old Jan 4th 2011, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

In terms of number of runs, I agree with you. But it is going to take some mighty batting to up his average above 50 as he has already played 65 odd tests.

He'll easily become England's greatest run scorer though as he's only 3,500 runs off Gooch's record. He should easily achieve 10,000, which I think KP will do too, but with a higher average
For England's sake i hope your right
Old Jan 4th 2011, 8:48 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

There have been more pressing problems with English cricket going into day 4 of the Sydney test, let's face it

I think they work well as a unit, especially the bowling attack ... didn't a poster say Anderson couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo way back?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.