Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Applying for an Aussie Pasport - WARNING

Applying for an Aussie Pasport - WARNING

Old Mar 14th 2008, 4:10 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Applying for an Aussie Pasport - WARNING

Just been to the PO to apply for a passport. Had the form filled out correctly, citizenship cert, Drivers licence and photos - everything that is asked for on the form. PO clerk starts checking everything and then informs me that I need my birth certificate or foreign passport to prove where I was born! Hang on a minute, this is not asked for on the form - if it was I would have brought in my birth cert. He would not proceed with the application saying that this always catches loads of people out. No shit Sherlock, it's not asked for on the form. Besides, at PR, citizenship test, citizenship application I've had to prove where I was born. I went across the road to the passport office in the exchange building and they informed me that this needs to proved even though it's not on the form. This is bureaucratic nonsense. I now have to go through all this again on Monday.

Be warned.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 4:22 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying for an Aussie Pasport - WARNING

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Just been to the PO to apply for a passport. Had the form filled out correctly, citizenship cert, Drivers licence and photos - everything that is asked for on the form. PO clerk starts checking everything and then informs me that I need my birth certificate or foreign passport to prove where I was born! Hang on a minute, this is not asked for on the form - if it was I would have brought in my birth cert. He would not proceed with the application saying that this always catches loads of people out. No shit Sherlock, it's not asked for on the form. Besides, at PR, citizenship test, citizenship application I've had to prove where I was born. I went across the road to the passport office in the exchange building and they informed me that this needs to proved even though it's not on the form. This is bureaucratic nonsense. I now have to go through all this again on Monday.

Be warned.
Had a similar thing getting a temporary medicare card ... they wanted my original EFTPOS receipt from when I got my visa (in Oz) 9 months previous ... nowhere on the form was this mentioned ... mental.

I had it 'cos I'm odd like that.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 5:09 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu

Be warned.
C'mon, you've lived here long enough to know that govt red tape here is perverse. I'm sure there is a rule that says "If the applicant provides all requested info at once, then think of something else not mentioned anywhere in the guidelines, and ask for that as well."
Old Mar 14th 2008, 6:37 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Had a similar thing getting a temporary medicare card ... they wanted my original EFTPOS receipt from when I got my visa (in Oz) 9 months previous ... nowhere on the form was this mentioned ... mental.

...........sadly mine is still in my wallet
Old Mar 14th 2008, 7:14 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
C'mon, you've lived here long enough to know that govt red tape here is perverse. I'm sure there is a rule that says "If the applicant provides all requested info at once, then think of something else not mentioned anywhere in the guidelines, and ask for that as well."
In the small print is also says that "in the event that you have gone to painstaking lengths to find a JP and made 50,000 copies of 29 certified documents as requested we reserve the right to simply not need it, shrug our shoulders and say - yeah well we know the form says that but you we dont need it nowadays".
Old Mar 14th 2008, 8:14 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
In the small print is also says that "in the event that you have gone to painstaking lengths to find a JP and made 50,000 copies of 29 certified documents as requested we reserve the right to simply not need it, shrug our shoulders and say - yeah well we know the form says that but you we dont need it nowadays".
PMSL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isnt that the truth !!!!
Old Mar 14th 2008, 8:42 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego

What is an EFTPOS certificate just so I know I have mine when the time comes.

Thanks
Old Mar 14th 2008, 9:22 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana

............ and, of course, who taught them bureaucracy in the first place
Old Mar 14th 2008, 9:23 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wardy2

Thanks
receipt

yanno the ones you get from ATM etc
Old Mar 14th 2008, 9:52 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Right thanks I thought it was something wierd and wonderful.

Sorry to be a bit thick, never heard it called that
Old Mar 14th 2008, 10:39 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wardy2

Thanks
As TFA said, it's just the receipt thing you get from swiping the card ... just like the thing you get at petrol stations.

I bet most people don't keep theirs ... I mean surely a passport with a visa in it is proof enough that you have a ... visa?

I seem to remember getting into the country on it, if it's good enough for Mr Immigration Man surely it's good enough for Brenda behind counter?

Alternatively they may just like the power that having an ill-fitting 'uniform' brings.