Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anyone else have problems with Private Messages?

Anyone else have problems with Private Messages?

Old Mar 16th 2008, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really nice
Default Anyone else have problems with Private Messages?

Hi all

Anyone else getting problems with sending or receiving private messages?

I'm really confused (doesn't take much ) as I've sent a few messages recently but haven't had responses back, either that or everyone's avoiding me

It's just a bit strange as a couple of people had specifically asked to me to contact them and one was a query to a moderator
Old Mar 16th 2008, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

wrighty500 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone else have problems with Private Messages?

I am a new member but like you I am also having trouble opening up Private Messages.

I keep getting a message stating you are not allowed 3 posts. Really dont understand this as I have only just joined.

Any advice

wrighty500
Old Mar 16th 2008, 3:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dawn-D
Hi all

I'm really confused (doesn't take much ) as I've sent a few messages recently but haven't had responses back, either that or everyone's avoiding me

It's just a bit strange as a couple of people had specifically asked to me to contact them and one was a query to a moderator
I did receive a message from you, after I had replied in the thread. I am not a migration agent and so am unable to advise on visas, which was what your question was about.
By posting on the thread itself the information is clearly in the public domain, where it can be clearly seen that I'm not not giving visa advice.

Sorry if you wanted a personal reply but I am having rather a hectic time and am getting in excess of 30 messages a day at present

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...5&postcount=13

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 16th 2008 at 3:18 pm. Reason: Adding link to the posted reply
Old Mar 16th 2008, 3:18 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wrighty500
I am a new member but like you I am also having trouble opening up Private Messages.

I keep getting a message stating you are not allowed 3 posts. Really dont understand this as I have only just joined.

Any advice

wrighty500
You need to have three posts before you can access your private messages. Its a way of preventing people joining to send spam. Once you have made another post, you'll be fine

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 16th 2008 at 3:27 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really nice

Originally Posted by wrighty500

Any advice

wrighty500

Hi wrighty500,

I think you have to have done 3 posts before you can send a private message, or something like that!

We could sort out both our queries now, you could try sending me a PM and I'll try sending you one! I'll send yours now, check where it says private messages at the top to see if you have any unread!
Old Mar 16th 2008, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I did receive a message from you, after I had replied in the thread. I am not a migration agent and so am unable to advise on visas, which was what your question was about.
By posting on the thread itself the information is clearly in the public domain, where it can be clearly seen that I'm not not giving visa advice.

Sorry if you wanted a personal reply but I am having rather a hectic time and am getting in excess of 30 messages a day at present

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...5&postcount=13
Sorry Pollyana, I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to JAJ who you'd suggested I contact. Is JAJ not a moderator then? Thanks for your post, which I did see!

Also I'd had contact from a couple of other people on here by PM who'd asked me to PM them back and although they've been online since I haven't heard from them hence the reason I thought something was wrong with my PM. Obviously there's not as I have just received a PM from wrighty500 I realise these people are ignoring me.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:51 pm
Home and Happy

Sorry Pollyana, I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to JAJ who you'd suggested I contact. Is JAJ not a moderator then? Thanks for your post, which I did see!

Also I'd had contact from a couple of other people on here by PM who'd asked me to PM them back and although they've been online since I haven't heard from them hence the reason I thought something was wrong with my PM. Obviously there's not as I have just received a PM from wrighty500 I realise these people are ignoring me.
Can't help then, I'm afraid. Your pms are certainly working, maybe people haven't answered cos they thought they couldn't help?
I do know from being around here a while that JAJ rarely responds to pms, as a professional agent (though not currently Australian registered) he does prefer to respond on the open forum. If he hasn't done so then maybe he can't help.
To be honest having read the threads describing your situation I think maybe you would be best emailing or calling a major player in the agency business, someone like George Lombard or Alan Collett (their details are in their posts), and you might have to be prepared to pay for assistance. The field that you have described as on that can be filled by Australians, so I think you may find it hard to get sponsorship - the sponsor has to be approved by the government and show why they are sponsoring you. Have a chat with someone experienced and see what options they can come up with.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 11:43 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Erm

I did get a PM from you but I have man flu so decided I would get round to it later. Then completely forgot about it in a Panadol-induced haze.

Double too as I posted a joke reply ("not sure about construction but demolition is booming" - I thought it funny anyway) and you sent me a long serious question.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Can't help then, I'm afraid. Your pms are certainly working, maybe people haven't answered cos they thought they couldn't help?
I do know from being around here a while that JAJ rarely responds to pms, as a professional agent (though not currently Australian registered) he does prefer to respond on the open forum. If he hasn't done so then maybe he can't help.
To be honest having read the threads describing your situation I think maybe you would be best emailing or calling a major player in the agency business, someone like George Lombard or Alan Collett (their details are in their posts), and you might have to be prepared to pay for assistance. The field that you have described as on that can be filled by Australians, so I think you may find it hard to get sponsorship - the sponsor has to be approved by the government and show why they are sponsoring you. Have a chat with someone experienced and see what options they can come up with.
Thanks for your reply Pollyana. With regards to people not answering because they can't help, I don't understand why someone tells you by a post that they know someone who has a job vacancy in your field then goes on to have a conversation with you by PM resulting in them telling you they will see the person in the next 24 hours and ask you to contact them again to remind them to answer! Then when you see them adding posts and you PM them as requested, they ignore you. If they discover they can't help I would have thought it only polite to say so.

When you are not on the skilled list but being told by some that your occupation is needed and then others say you have no hope, it's very confusing. We have been to WA and witnessed what would be a better life for our 3 kids and now find it nearly impossible to get in.

With regards to professional advice I am awaiting a response from one of BE's recommendations from sending my details a week ago. I had a response of leave it with us but as I've not heard any more perhaps nothing can be done in our case!
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by worzel
Erm

I did get a PM from you but I have man flu so decided I would get round to it later. Then completely forgot about it in a Panadol-induced haze.

Double too as I posted a joke reply ("not sure about construction but demolition is booming" - I thought it funny anyway) and you sent me a long serious question.
Hope you recovered from your man flu

With regards to your 'joke reply' unfortunately in our desperation to find a sponsor I misunderstood it and thought that maybe you would know some demolition companies, hence the reason I sent the PM.

Obviously I have a lot I need to learn with regards this forum.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:59 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously I have a lot I need to learn with regards this forum.
It's quite easy really. Post a silly thread and you will get serious answers and vice versa.

Trying to make amends, I have seen a couple of demolition companies in Perth, though to be honest, apart from re-vamping the CBD the norm is just to find a blank bit of land, bulldoze it and build new. You can tell the guys who work for demolition companies as they drive Ford F250 utes - they look like monster trucks. Murphy is the name on one ute I see around us.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

It's quite easy really. Post a silly thread and you will get serious answers and vice versa..

I shall try to remember that for my next post!

Trying to make amends, I have seen a couple of demolition companies in Perth, though to be honest, apart from re-vamping the CBD the norm is just to find a blank bit of land, bulldoze it and build new. You can tell the guys who work for demolition companies as they drive Ford F250 utes - they look like monster trucks. Murphy is the name on one ute I see around us.
Thanks for the name, I shall look them up!