Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

anyone else get cold feet?

anyone else get cold feet?

Old Mar 18th 2008, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: anyone else get cold feet?

Originally Posted by ozzieclare2b
As the move gets nearer i am getting more and more a feeling of what the hell am i doing?
Our house exchanges contracts/completes next week, packers are booked visa is immenent. we are moving with mother in law. Everything now seems to be happening and i just want to pull duvet over my head and forget it all!!

All i keep hearing is how interest rates are crap in oz, exchange rates terrible, house prices rising. I am thinking what the hell are we doing? Im worried about hubby getting job, where do i start with childcare what if one of us is ill omg the list goes on!!!

anyone else feel like this?
A few weeks ago I began having serious doubts, it co-incided with a lot of things and the duvet comment...yep, that was me. I think is is 100% natural and understandable. Hang in there Ozziclare, things will get better. Yes, this is a huge risk, and very scary, but a fantastic opportunity.

We are off 4 weeks tomorrow and I'm soooooooo excited!!!! (A bit different to the girl who handed in her notice and then went back to her desk and blubbed! )
Old Mar 18th 2008, 5:28 pm
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by THORPES
Hi

I am feeling exactly the same. OH is sooo excited and I was/still am
We have just sent all certified docs and payments to agents so visa application can be sent.
I feel really down at the moment and dont know why. It was me who wanted to go to Oz in first place. I still do and am not bothered about leaving UK.
Now it finally seems possible I feel nervous and worrying about jobs, Kids, money, alone etc etc etc....
I have been reading posts on here and other sites and there seems to be alot of doom and gloom. I do apreciate different views and understand not to go there with rose tinted glasses on, but is OZ hard to find jobs, houses getting very expensive (and better off renting)?
We are hoping to go to Adelaide.

Ps: sorry about the moan.

yes maybe i read the same posts too. Its made me very dpressed i think about adelaide, maybe they are trying to put us off?
Old Mar 18th 2008, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

We were planning to move in 2005 and pulled out at the last minute. I mean REALLY the last minute - job resigned (they even bought me a leaving present), house was sold, flights booked, dog kennels booked etc. etc). We pulled out for lots of reasons (had originally planned to go to Perth). Putting everything back in place was a total nightmare.

.........roll forward two years and we are now here (in Sydney). I guess the desire never went away but at that time it was a general sense of nerves that got the better of us. You would be crazy to think that Australia is a bed of roses (it isn't) but now that we are here we have no regrets at all.

The problem is - if you don't go, you may spend the rest of your life thinking "what if?" I would just take the leap, if you don't like it, go back! Sure you will lose a lot of physical money but the end of the day you will be significantly richer because of the experience.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

richayl is an unknown quantity at this point

Just had phone call we are exchanging contracts tomorrow!! I feel so sad to leave this house, after all the hasle we have had selling it. Now i have mixed feelings i thinking im dreading moving in with mother in law as we wont have any privacy. just having a down day i guess x
Just read your thread and wanted to say 'Hi'. In exactly the same boat as you.... excanging contracts with house on Tuesday and moving out on Friday to live with my mother-in-law! Sold our precious car that we loved and nearly everything else we own so that we can save up. I feel nervous about living with someone else, I left home at 16 and I've alway been very independant, I love her to bits but its sad leaving our house too. Also, we are going on a skilled visa and haven't even passed the paperwork side yet, we are not worried whether or not our Visas will be granted, just feel like we're hanging in the air and will be for some time!!
Old Mar 21st 2008, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

ozziemart2b is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey - you shouldnt believe everything you hear. Theres no way we are giving up...........J
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesfam has a brilliant futureJamesfam has a brilliant futureJamesfam has a brilliant futureJamesfam has a brilliant futureJamesfam has a brilliant futureJamesfam has a brilliant future

lol i feel depressed about it, and a bit sick, i have family there but we dont know each other that well, i want to put it off for a bit but hubby doesnt lol...im mad i know lol.

We had a chat and i said we will go for 2 yrs as i cant say forever at this point as its too much lol
hi Claire. I know how you feel. We just got our visa and altho I was really excited I also had a feeling of OMG THIS IS IT!! But I have to remind myself of why we are going. I like you have also said to my hubby that I will go for 2 years because I don't know whether I could go if I said I was going forever. It just sounds so final saying that. I think of it as a gap year that I never had but I'm going with my family and just have fun experiencing life elsewhere with the weather and all that comes with living in country where the sun shines. My boys love being outside and living in the UK isn't that good for things to do outside. Even in the summer you can't plan for BBQs without having to keep your fingers and toes crossed that the rain doesn't come lol! Just take the opportunity for what it is and go with it and enjoy it. You only live once and if you come back after 2 years your family would have had an amazing experience. nothing would have changed here and you can slot right back in where you left. Chin up and I'm sure I will be posting similar threads when its my turn to go (if my house ever sells). Take care, Clare
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond repute

As the move gets nearer i am getting more and more a feeling of what the hell am i doing?
Our house exchanges contracts/completes next week, packers are booked visa is immenent. we are moving with mother in law. Everything now seems to be happening and i just want to pull duvet over my head and forget it all!!

All i keep hearing is how interest rates are crap in oz, exchange rates terrible, house prices rising. I am thinking what the hell are we doing? Im worried about hubby getting job, where do i start with childcare what if one of us is ill omg the list goes on!!!

YES.....about 20 times aday...i have been changing my mind back and forth for several weeks now...But i have come to the conclusion if we dont go we will always regret it, thinking about all the what if's. Lifes to short..blar blar ...
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Angib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant future

Like everyone else I read your post with a lump in my throat! I feel that to have doubts are normal and it would not be realistic if you were not apprehesive. Remember that whatever you decide you will learn from this experience and the things you are worried about losing can be found again - new home etc. Hopefully you are feeling a bit stronger as the days go on - good luck with the Mother in Law we dont have any extended family to stay with - if we sell before we go i'll be uprooting the kids to live in rented accomodation and they hate the thought of that! I hope that you are able to make the right decision - it is better to make the hard choice now than regret to having the ability to say no, fingers crossed for you x
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud of

Hi,
I understand how your feeling as I went through the same emotions, and know alot of other expats have also. House prices has risen,but we are renting for a while as it is alot cheaper, no water rates or rates to pay. You have been given a chance of a life time so go for it. We came out here with the attitude that we were going to give it our all, but if it doesn't work we will just go back to the uk. Thankfully, it is working out really well and we are enjoying our new life so far.
As for childcare I have only found good things. You can enrol your children in before and after school care. School holidays your children can go to vacation care which provides their lunch and takes them on excellent excursions.There childcare care facilities are excellent for supporting working parents over here, far better than u.k.(in my opinion anyway).
It is scary making a big move, but just look at it as an adventure and a fanastic oportunity for yourself and your family.
As for jobs you can start looking now and posting your cv around. there are really good job web sites around, you could try the following:seek.com.au careersone.com.au , mycareers.com.au

Goodluck and take the plunge!
IT IS NORMAL HOW YOUR FEELING

ALLY
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:36 am
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dazza49
Hi,
I understand how your feeling as I went through the same emotions, and know alot of other expats have also. House prices has risen,but we are renting for a while as it is alot cheaper, no water rates or rates to pay. You have been given a chance of a life time so go for it. We came out here with the attitude that we were going to give it our all, but if it doesn't work we will just go back to the uk. Thankfully, it is working out really well and we are enjoying our new life so far.
As for childcare I have only found good things. You can enrol your children in before and after school care. School holidays your children can go to vacation care which provides their lunch and takes them on excellent excursions.There childcare care facilities are excellent for supporting working parents over here, far better than u.k.(in my opinion anyway).
It is scary making a big move, but just look at it as an adventure and a fanastic oportunity for yourself and your family.
As for jobs you can start looking now and posting your cv around. there are really good job web sites around, you could try the following:seek.com.au careersone.com.au , mycareers.com.au

Goodluck and take the plunge!
IT IS NORMAL HOW YOUR FEELING

ALLY
Hi Ally and Daz
Great to see you finally made it to Oz!!!!! Last time we met in Newport I was sqeezing you into a small t-shirt for a photo....LOL
We're still trying to sell our house.....but have our visa....YAY!!!!
Beth x x
Old Apr 11th 2008, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Dazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BethandAndrew
Hi Ally and Daz
Great to see you finally made it to Oz!!!!! Last time we met in Newport I was sqeezing you into a small t-shirt for a photo....LOL
We're still trying to sell our house.....but have our visa....YAY!!!!
Beth x x
Hi Beth,
Yes I remember you, I hope you sell your house soon, ours took over a year to sell .I've put on alot of weight on since being here, due to all the alcohol and bbq'sthere's no way i'd squeeze into that t-shirt nowCongratulations on your visa grant. Where are you going to live in oz, when you get here?If its on gold coast or surrounding areas we will have to meet up.

Ally

Last edited by Dazza49; Apr 11th 2008 at 6:28 am.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

the derbys will become famous soon enoughthe derbys will become famous soon enough

We are just waiting to sign contracts and I feel sick of the thought of it all but I really want to move to Perth even with all the bad posts on here ,I think if you go with an open mind about everything and are prepared to work hard at it things shouls be ok.
I must sit and think ten times a day am I doing the right thing for our family but you will never know until we do it, it is nice to know it is not only me wno feels like this.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Our house exchanges contracts/completes next week, packers are booked visa is immanent. we are moving with mother in law. Everything now seems to be happening and i just want to pull duvet over my head and forget it all!!

All i keep hearing is how interest rates are crap in oz, exchange rates terrible, house prices rising. I am thinking what the hell are we doing? I'm worried about hubby getting job, where do i start with childcare what if one of us is ill omg the list goes on!!!

Yes! I know exactly how you feel, the last few weeks i have been going up and down like a yo-yo. It is comforting to know that i am not the only one. This will be our third time selling house and moving out to aus, first time paper work not completed, second time came back due to no work and now secured job and waiting for start date so we can get going, but! The last two times i felt on top of the world and was ready to except anything to make it work, i am finding it hard this time, as i think now i know a bit more about things out there it is tending to make me worry, one of the reasons are the dentists as i did not have a very good time when i was there last and reading the forum on dentists and seeing how others are getting on and what it costs has panicked me, i think how on earth could we afford that and we would just be at stage one coming back.
I have managed to get over the spraying the house and gardens for the creatures, and find quite settled as in how to cope with that aspect, thank you every one for your help on that.
Another worry is if you earn $1100 a week - would that give you a good standard of living - (especially with how it looks for paying for dentistry).
The other is the worry of the family being split up as the eldest son does not want to go.
Both the boys last week have secured an apprenticeship each, and i think should we take that opportunity of good work away from them to move to some where that feels will be a struggle to earn what you could here, it seems strange that since we last came back the boys have been trying to secure work and just when things fall into place for moving they both get extremely good jobs.
I some times think should we just put up with the dark damp wet weather, and have lots of trips away and be secure in our surroundings.
Lots and lots of things spinning round in my head, How can i say no i don't want to go after spending two years trying hard to secure work to get us back out there again and knowing that if we don't go now it will be the end for us and we will be turning down the one job that will be able to get us out there before our visas run out this year.
And i know your thinking well if you have that many doubts don't go, but it is not that easy as there is the rest of the family to think about, and have spent many, many years working towards this.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Angel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud of

Yes very cold feet!!!!!!!!!
House up for sale and this is my biggest doubth. its my dream home which we built in the lake district and i really hate the thought of returning to the uk if we didnt like perth and someone else living in my house and its not me! Its beautiful a bit like notts landing(showing my age).I sometimes wish the idea of moving had never appeared. Oh is really for it but iv always been a bit unsure. I love my life here but want to go to give the kids more opportunities and it is a bit boring here and we usually end up in tesco at the weekend. Weve got a viewing tomorrow and i'll die if they put in an offer. Sorry if so negative. It's just such a risk i'm terrified. Never mind i'll crack open the wine when kids go to bed and it will all be fine Ha!
Old Apr 11th 2008, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ausi dream
Yes! I know exactly how you feel, the last few weeks i have been going up and down like a yo-yo. It is comforting to know that i am not the only one. This will be our third time selling house and moving out to aus, first time paper work not completed, second time came back due to no work and now secured job and waiting for start date so we can get going, but! The last two times i felt on top of the world and was ready to except anything to make it work, i am finding it hard this time, as i think now i know a bit more about things out there it is tending to make me worry, one of the reasons are the dentists as i did not have a very good time when i was there last and reading the forum on dentists and seeing how others are getting on and what it costs has panicked me, i think how on earth could we afford that and we would just be at stage one coming back.
I have managed to get over the spraying the house and gardens for the creatures, and find quite settled as in how to cope with that aspect, thank you every one for your help on that.
Another worry is if you earn $1100 a week - would that give you a good standard of living - (especially with how it looks for paying for dentistry).
The other is the worry of the family being split up as the eldest son does not want to go.
Both the boys last week have secured an apprenticeship each, and i think should we take that opportunity of good work away from them to move to some where that feels will be a struggle to earn what you could here, it seems strange that since we last came back the boys have been trying to secure work and just when things fall into place for moving they both get extremely good jobs.
I some times think should we just put up with the dark damp wet weather, and have lots of trips away and be secure in our surroundings.
Lots and lots of things spinning round in my head, How can i say no i don't want to go after spending two years trying hard to secure work to get us back out there again and knowing that if we don't go now it will be the end for us and we will be turning down the one job that will be able to get us out there before our visas run out this year.
And i know your thinking well if you have that many doubts don't go, but it is not that easy as there is the rest of the family to think about, and have spent many, many years working towards this.
Hi,
$1100 should get you by if your renting for about $350, but not if you have a mortgage unless it would be a small mortgage.As for apprenticeships, you could try and secure them one over here,they seem to be pushing them(well in qld anyway)I really feel for you,and understand how your feeling.You are at an advantage compared to others emigrating as you've already been through some of the ups and downs of the process,so this should stand you in good stead to succeed the 3rd time.
Sending you some karma and hugs and wish you all the best in what ever you decide to do.

Allyson

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.