Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

anyone else get cold feet?

anyone else get cold feet?

Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:19 am
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold
Default anyone else get cold feet?

As the move gets nearer i am getting more and more a feeling of what the hell am i doing?
Our house exchanges contracts/completes next week, packers are booked visa is immenent. we are moving with mother in law. Everything now seems to be happening and i just want to pull duvet over my head and forget it all!!

All i keep hearing is how interest rates are crap in oz, exchange rates terrible, house prices rising. I am thinking what the hell are we doing? Im worried about hubby getting job, where do i start with childcare what if one of us is ill omg the list goes on!!!

anyone else feel like this?
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:21 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: anyone else get cold feet?

Originally Posted by ozzieclare2b
As the move gets nearer i am getting more and more a feeling of what the hell am i doing?
Our house exchanges contracts/completes next week, packers are booked visa is immenent. we are moving with mother in law. Everything now seems to be happening and i just want to pull duvet over my head and forget it all!!

All i keep hearing is how interest rates are crap in oz, exchange rates terrible, house prices rising. I am thinking what the hell are we doing? Im worried about hubby getting job, where do i start with childcare what if one of us is ill omg the list goes on!!!

Where in OZ are you heading?

If it's Perth then all you mentioned is true to be honest. Not sure about the other states.

But you have got this far, so i hope all your dreams come true, good luck.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:24 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

I think everyone gets that last minute panic, the thing to do is remind yourself of all the pluses

besides its too late to back out now
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:27 am
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

We are heading to adelaide. Been on adelaide brits and its very depressing on there lots of people painting a black picture.

Also just had a phone call from my brother to say they now wont be going as they have 2 foster girls and its very unlikely they will get an adoption order to take them out of country.

My husband is all for it cant wait lol, but its me sorting it all out and i think he has his head in clouds lol
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:31 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

We are heading to adelaide. Been on adelaide brits and its very depressing on there lots of people painting a black picture.

Also just had a phone call from my brother to say they now wont be going as they have 2 foster girls and its very unlikely they will get an adoption order to take them out of country.

My husband is all for it cant wait lol, but its me sorting it all out and i think he has his head in clouds lol
Adelaide is still alot cheaper than the rest, but it will catch up one day. At least you're being realistic about things.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:34 am
looking for my marbles

lol i feel depressed about it, and a bit sick, i have family there but we dont know each other that well, i want to put it off for a bit but hubby doesnt lol...im mad i know lol.

We had a chat and i said we will go for 2 yrs as i cant say forever at this point as its too much lol
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:38 am
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it's only natural to have cold feet at some point during the process.

Leaving your home is stressful enough without moving in with the in laws and then coming halfway round the world. I asked myself a million times whether we were doing the right thing. In the end you just have to go with your gut feeling. It would be a shame to have gone through the process this far and then not even come out here to see what it's like.

I hated leaving my home in the UK. If we hadn't been coming out here we'd never have left it.

Was your coming here interlinked with your brother and his family coming too?

If that's the case then you have to think about whether you can live here when he's staying in the UK.

Why don't you just enjoy the long weekend, try not to think of Australia, and come back to it next week and see if you feel any different?

Good Luck!

M
Old Mar 18th 2008, 12:12 pm
looking for my marbles

I think one of the big pulling factors was my brother and his family coming too. I think i will try not to think about it for a few days and put things in perspective thanks hun x
Old Mar 18th 2008, 12:13 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Wasn't really my thing but the wife loved it ...

I preferred James Nesbitt in Murphy's Law.

Old Mar 18th 2008, 2:15 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, everything you are worried about is the same as I am. Biggest panic is finding jobs for us and not knowing anyone when we get there for support or in an emergency. I have just booked the estate agent to take pics of the house to go up for sale. OMG! We've come this far though and are going to give it our best shot. Im sure it is normal to have these doubts, it is probably the biggest thing you will ever do. One minute im excited next panicking.

Good luck

Joexx
Old Mar 18th 2008, 2:28 pm
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

I know exactly how you're feeling hun
It comes over you like a huge wave and then you feel like you're dipping your toes in shallow waters.
This is def the bravest thing I will ever do.......but hopefully the best thing I could ever do for my girls!!!
Take care and chin up,
Beth x x
Old Mar 18th 2008, 2:38 pm
looking for my marbles

Just had phone call we are exchanging contracts tomorrow!! I feel so sad to leave this house, after all the hasle we have had selling it. Now i have mixed feelings i thinking im dreading moving in with mother in law as we wont have any privacy. just having a down day i guess x
Old Mar 18th 2008, 2:46 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

lol i feel depressed about it, and a bit sick, i have family there but we dont know each other that well, i want to put it off for a bit but hubby doesnt lol...im mad i know lol.

We had a chat and i said we will go for 2 yrs as i cant say forever at this point as its too much lol

It's like getting married - last minute doubts are normal but if you really don't want to go thorugh with it then for God's sake don't walk down the aisle!! Cold feet are completely normal at this point - but if you really don't want to go then do something about now before it's too late.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 3:20 pm
looking for my marbles

Originally Posted by pommybird
It's like getting married - last minute doubts are normal but if you really don't want to go thorugh with it then for God's sake don't walk down the aisle!! Cold feet are completely normal at this point - but if you really don't want to go then do something about now before it's too late.
thanks hun, i just think its nerves kicking in as its such a big move, i am sure everything will be great , and once house sale goes through i will be less stressed but its all hitting me at once. Keep reminding myself how lucky we are to have this opportunity lol
Old Mar 18th 2008, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

THORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to all

Hi

I am feeling exactly the same. OH is sooo excited and I was/still am
We have just sent all certified docs and payments to agents so visa application can be sent.
I feel really down at the moment and dont know why. It was me who wanted to go to Oz in first place. I still do and am not bothered about leaving UK.
Now it finally seems possible I feel nervous and worrying about jobs, Kids, money, alone etc etc etc....
I have been reading posts on here and other sites and there seems to be alot of doom and gloom. I do apreciate different views and understand not to go there with rose tinted glasses on, but is OZ hard to find jobs, houses getting very expensive (and better off renting)?
We are hoping to go to Adelaide.

Ps: sorry about the moan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.