Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else feeling affected by the abduction of Maddy McCann?

Is anyone else feeling affected by the abduction of Maddy McCann?

Old May 10th 2007, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is anyone else feeling affected by the abduction of Maddy McCann?

Originally Posted by Rachel1978
Mine certainly don't. There's normally tantrums, trying to climb out of the highchair, a bit of screaming and playing with knives and forks and then me and Fraser yelling at them, all the joys of being a parent
LOL sounds just like my little bundle of joy. I'm glad I am not the only one.
Old May 10th 2007, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I was thinking the same, years of going out with a buggy/stroller, blankies, bottles, carrying someone too tired to walk..... funny thing is they are such lovely memories would do it all again in an instant

I got a bit annoyed at the BIL ( i think it was ) saying leaving them in that hotel was no different to any parent putting their kids to bed and leaving the room

I've got a BIL like that! Even if the restuarant was opposite your room, you'd always be on edge wondering if they'd woken up or were being naughty, climbing stuff, drinking the loo water.....(well just my kids there!) We all make stuff ups, but surely keeping your toddlers with you is just being sensible. I had 3 under 5, the 2 in the double buggy complete nightmares - tantrums, trying to undo each others safety harnesses so they could escape etc. When it got too much we'd say enoughs enough, time to get a take away! When we went out with friends we'd take it in turns to settle the kids, or we'd go to Pizza Hut where we'd be in the company of other screaming kids and pee'd off parents!
Old May 10th 2007, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

I would also like to add that I hope they find little Maddie soon. I have ben following the story and it leaves me cold. I can't bear to think of what her and her family are going through.

My little one got out of his pushchair when I was paying for something in a shop, he was away before I realised. It was only a kind person stopped him for me that I got him back safe and sound.

It is horrible to think of all the evil in the world.
Old May 10th 2007, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by glittababe
I've got a BIL like that! Even if the restuarant was opposite your room, you'd always be on edge wondering if they'd woken up or were being naughty, climbing stuff, drinking the loo water.....(well just my kids there!) We all make stuff ups, but surely keeping your toddlers with you is just being sensible. I had 3 under 5, the 2 in the double buggy complete nightmares - tantrums, trying to undo each others safety harnesses so they could escape etc. When it got too much we'd say enoughs enough, time to get a take away! When we went out with friends we'd take it in turns to settle the kids, or we'd go to Pizza Hut where we'd be in the company of other screaming kids and pee'd off parents!
He he I have taken my little one to Sizzlers and cringed while he threw his dinner on the floor I'm sure we will look back and laugh one day.

I can't imagine having 3 under 5. You must be a hero.

I left my little one sleeping on my nan's bed, while we sat outside having a drink. When he woke up the first we knew of it was him hammering on the screen door with a table tennis bat. I was horrified, my hubby thought the same thing as me and ran inside to survey the damage he had done. Luckily nothing, he must have come looking for us.
Old May 10th 2007, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

I stayed at the same apartments a few years back when my children were little. It's a very quiet resort and this may have led them to believe that it was a safe place? I don't know. Although I initially thought the same about the parents leaving their children, I now only feel sadness.

Nobody will say anything they probably haven't already thought themselves.

Leaving their children is a decsion they made that they will regret for the rest of their lives

So, lets not condemn them but just hope and pray they find her alive and well.
Old May 10th 2007, 6:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KatieStar
He he I have taken my little one to Sizzlers and cringed while he threw his dinner on the floor I'm sure we will look back and laugh one day.
From what I've heard, it was probably the best thing to do with a sizzlers meal
Old May 10th 2007, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KatieStar

I can't imagine having 3 under 5. You must be a hero.

I left my little one sleeping on my nan's bed, while we sat outside having a drink. When he woke up the first we knew of it was him hammering on the screen door with a table tennis bat. I was horrified, my hubby thought the same thing as me and ran inside to survey the damage he had done. Luckily nothing, he must have come looking for us.
Ahh it was happy days, not one baby bag but 2, 3 sets of clothes, 6 bottles fo various milks, juices (and alcohol for me)! Toys, rattles, comfort blankets,a portable potty, my handbag - basically the whole of our house (well it felt like it)! Then we'd get to said destination, we'd have tears, tantrums, spilled drinks, food, dirty nappies that needed changing (usually one after the other) not to mention the eldest one being potty trained! We'd spend 1/2 an hour unpacking the kids and getting them sorted, a stressful 10 mins trying to get food, then we'd give up and load the car up again! So nooo you're completely normal. I always felt like I must have the worst behaved children in the world!
Old May 10th 2007, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

It's been on the news this morning that they are 'scaling down the search'
Old May 10th 2007, 7:31 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rachel1978
There's normally tantrums, trying to climb out of the highchair, a bit of screaming and playing with knives and forks
And that's just me, you should see how the kids behave

Oh and thanks Penny, I always thought I looked young for my age
Old May 10th 2007, 9:04 am

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by curly
It's been on the news this morning that they are 'scaling down the search'
i feel sick
Old May 10th 2007, 9:52 am

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fraser
And that's just me, you should see how the kids behave

Oh and thanks Penny, I always thought I looked young for my age
you still this side of the water mate?
Old May 10th 2007, 10:08 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
I've got a BIL like that! Even if the restuarant was opposite your room, you'd always be on edge wondering if they'd woken up
Yep. At my SIL's wedding last year my OH happily partied the night away while I was in the hotel room with the kids from 10pm onwards.
There was a 'listening' service provided by reception but I didn't feel comfortable with that idea. I missed a great party but there you go. I've got young kids and my life has changed.
I'm still can't condemn the McCann's though. All you have to do is look at that woman's distraught face.
Old May 10th 2007, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Rachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Yep. At my SIL's wedding last year my OH happily partied the night away while I was in the hotel room with the kids from 10pm onwards.
There was a 'listening' service provided by reception but I didn't feel comfortable with that idea. I missed a great party but there you go. I've got young kids and my life has changed.
I'm still can't condemn the McCann's though. All you have to do is look at that woman's distraught face.

I'm sure she will be her own biggest critic and I just hope that Maddie is found safe so she can forgive herself and live the rest of her life in peace and not torment.
Old May 10th 2007, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wendy
Gill Renwick, a friend of the family, said Madeleine's parents - both doctors - had been having a meal in a tapas restaurant a few hundred yards from the apartment and had been checking on the little girl and her younger brother and sister (two-year-old twins) every half hour

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...re/6623127.stm

Whilst I really hope and pray that this little girl is found alive and well, I really think that the parents are well out of order for leaving 3 kids under 4 on their own for any amount of time. I wouldn't even dream of leaving my 7 year old unattended, not even to pop over to the shop which is directly across the street from me and would take me 5 minutes.

I'm really gobsmacked that they felt they would be OK on their own and only checked up on them every half hour.
I agree.

And what does commenting that they are "both doctors" have to do with the price of eggs?? Who cares? If they were both checkout attendants would that be mentioned?

I hope Maddie is okay - wherever she is now - and much love to her parents, regardless of anyone's opinion on whether they believe they did the right thing or not.

Last edited by Vegemite; May 10th 2007 at 10:18 am.
Old May 10th 2007, 11:08 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

I feel so sick thinking that this child was possibly being watched for a good few days. As a parent, this has to be their worst living nightmare.

I won't even let my daughter play in our garden on her own.!!

My heart goes out to the family and no matter whether they should have left them alone or not, the tragic truth is they now have to live with that decision they made. We all make mistakes don't we..!!

I just hope Maddy is found alive and well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.