Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else feeling affected by the abduction of Maddy McCann?

Is anyone else feeling affected by the abduction of Maddy McCann?

Old May 9th 2007, 10:05 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone else feeling affected by the abduction of Maddy McCann?

Originally Posted by fraser

they have other children .
And if their social circumstances were different you can be sure people/media would be calling for those kids to be taken off them....
Old May 9th 2007, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

rebh will become famous soon enoughrebh will become famous soon enough

When ever I hear anything on the news about Maddie my blood runs cold.
I have a little girl of the same age who is very similar in looks and I just think what if it where her.
My husband and I would never dream of leaving our girls in a hotel room for 1 minute by themselves let alone all night even if we were popping back. We have just got back from holiday and commentated on how life changes as we were back in the room by 8.30/9.00 every night reading our books while the girls were tucked up in bed next to us fast asleep. On deciding to have a family this is one of the many things you have to do but it is well worth the sacrifice to keep them safe.
It has also got to be said that whatever you do you can never keep your children 100% safe as my sister in law found out a few years ago while walking through a shopping centre in Australia and her little girl was snatched from her as she walked along. Thank God she was got back safely.
I pray Maddie is bought back safe and sound which at this stage is a very big ask, I keep hearing in my head a little girl crying and calling out for her Mummy.
What ever our children have done today to test our patience we should give them an extra big cuddle and kiss as we put them to bed just because we can.
Old May 9th 2007, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebh
When ever I hear anything on the news about Maddie my blood runs cold.
I have a little girl of the same age who is very similar in looks and I just think what if it where her.
My husband and I would never dream of leaving our girls in a hotel room for 1 minute by themselves let alone all night even if we were popping back. We have just got back from holiday and commentated on how life changes as we were back in the room by 8.30/9.00 every night reading our books while the girls were tucked up in bed next to us fast asleep. On deciding to have a family this is one of the many things you have to do but it is well worth the sacrifice to keep them safe.
It has also got to be said that whatever you do you can never keep your children 100% safe as my sister in law found out a few years ago while walking through a shopping centre in Australia and her little girl was snatched from her as she walked along. Thank God she was got back safely.
I pray Maddie is bought back safe and sound which at this stage is a very big ask, I keep hearing in my head a little girl crying and calling out for her Mummy.
What ever our children have done today to test our patience we should give them an extra big cuddle and kiss as we put them to bed just because we can.
Yes, the parents were stupid and neglectful. And I cant begin to imagine the anguish they are going through.
BUT the person or persons who removed this little girl should have their testicles ripped off and then they should be HUNG!!!
Its about time child abductors/murderers were REALLY punished for their heinous crimes.
And all this crap that the politicians spout about 'the paedophiles going underground', Aren't they there already?'

Lou
Old May 9th 2007, 11:53 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louise M
Yes, the parents were stupid and neglectful. And I cant begin to imagine the anguish they are going through.
BUT the person or persons who removed this little girl should have their testicles ripped off and then they should be HUNG!!!
Its about time child abductors/murderers were REALLY punished for their heinous crimes.
And all this crap that the politicians spout about 'the paedophiles going underground', Aren't they there already?'

Lou
yes paedophiles should be killed
Old May 9th 2007, 11:57 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wren

It is easier to point the finger of blame than to face the reality that there are some evil people out there waiting to prey on our children, and regardless of what "type" of parent you consider yourself to be we are ALL vulnerable.
Yes but that's the whole point. There are sicko evil people out there and there always have been. A child can be abducted in a second, therefore you do not leave babies alone for hours regardless of how many times you pop back to check. It's the sort of stupidity that could be regarded as aiding and abetting for gods sake - you don't give the evil gits opportunity like that:curse:
Old May 10th 2007, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curly
I know I get that with my 9 year old lad, he hates having to come into toilets with me, he moans as he thinks he's too old to have to go into women's loo's - but there is no way I would allow him to go into men's loo's alone
I have the same issue with my eight year old son ,he hates coming into the ladies with me.We now try and use the disabled toilet as they are bigger or try and find a family toilet.
Old May 10th 2007, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Yes but that's the whole point. There are sicko evil people out there and there always have been. A child can be abducted in a second, therefore you do not leave babies alone for hours regardless of how many times you pop back to check. It's the sort of stupidity that could be regarded as aiding and abetting for gods sake - you don't give the evil gits opportunity like that:curse:
Just been on Sky News website, still no updates other than a statement from Maddy's Aunt saying the parents should not be blamed for leaving them alone as they are a caring family.
Old May 10th 2007, 12:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
Just been on Sky News website, still no updates other than a statement from Maddy's Aunt saying the parents should not be blamed for leaving them alone as they are a caring family.
That's nice then isn't it
Old May 10th 2007, 12:36 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, even here in America as an American I feel very, very sad. I have two daughters myself, and there have been many abductions in the US, most of which have ended tragically.

I would never have gotten away with leaving either of my two alone at that age simply because they would have awoken and yelled for me! I do feel that the parents are going through more hell than the media/public could ever heap on them, because their daughter is gone. I pray that she is alive and returned to them and I imagine they will be hypervigilant about their twins from now on.
Old May 10th 2007, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
That's nice then isn't it
I'm caring does that mean I can get away with it? Actually, I feel these parents are suffering imaginable pain. I suspect they will be burdened by guilt for the rest of their lives. I don't feel prosecution would be necessary - lesson learnt. It does make you re-evaluate everything tho; today I dropped the boys off at school as normal, 8am ish. No other kids around; usually I wave goodbye and go off to work. Today, I waited with them in the playground until some more kids and teachers arrived. Think I've become a tad too complacent (is that how you spell it???)
Old May 10th 2007, 1:25 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by seang
And if their social circumstances were different you can be sure people/media would be calling for those kids to be taken off them....
I agree with this, just say the parents were a couple who claimed benefits and didnt work would they still be so understanding?? i think not the papers would have a field day dragging up there past etc........

When i have been on holiday with my daughter i normally take her out with us on an evening and if she's tired she sleeps in her buggie right next to me all the restraunts ive been to abroad are very accommodating and will give you a table with space to have your pram parked near you, no excuse for leaving little kids in a room themselves!!!

kezx
Old May 10th 2007, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kez81
I agree with this, just say the parents were a couple who claimed benefits and didnt work would they still be so understanding?? i think not the papers would have a field day dragging up there past etc........

When i have been on holiday with my daughter i normally take her out with us on an evening and if she's tired she sleeps in her buggie right next to me all the restraunts ive been to abroad are very accommodating and will give you a table with space to have your pram parked near you, no excuse for leaving little kids in a room themselves!!!

kezx
Having had 3 children under 5 yrs, we used to go out armed with a double buggy and a pram! It was too much hassel to fit into restaurants so we used to either take a picnic or grab some fish and chips. Fond memories actually, wouldn't have it any other way
Old May 10th 2007, 1:37 am
Banned

Dom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wendy
Gill Renwick, a friend of the family, said Madeleine's parents - both doctors - had been having a meal in a tapas restaurant a few hundred yards from the apartment and had been checking on the little girl and her younger brother and sister (two-year-old twins) every half hour

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...re/6623127.stm

I'm really gobsmacked that they felt they would be OK on their own and only checked up on them every half hour.
The time that elapsed from when the Dad checked on the kids, to when the Mum had 'her turn' and discovered Maddy was missing was actually 1 hour.

If this had been half an hour, perhaps she wouldn't have been abducted. But then again, wouldn't this equate the whole episode to a game of Russian roulette with your kids?
Old May 10th 2007, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Rachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond repute

When you make the decision to have a child you have to accept the fact that you will no longer be able to do as you please and holidays will no longer be the same. I just don't know how anyone could physically leave their kids, I would be so panicked I wouldn't even be able to sit and eat. I would be constantly wondering whether they were crying for me or if they needed anything, I would never relax.
Old May 10th 2007, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rachel1978
When you make the decision to have a child you have to accept the fact that you will no longer be able to do as you please and holidays will no longer be the same. I just don't know how anyone could physically leave their kids, I would be so panicked I wouldn't even be able to sit and eat. I would be constantly wondering whether they were crying for me or if they needed anything, I would never relax.
bad enough leaving them with a babysitter! Mark still worries about leaving our 11 and 12 yr old when we go shopping. Its a fairly new concept for us, having spent years dragging along whining children, watching them fight in the supermarket whilst other people tutted at us! We have safeguards in place, neighbours, mobile phones, do not answer the door, don't use anything electrical and no going into the kitchen! Think they'd have more fun shopping!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.