Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else feeling affected by the abduction of Maddy McCann?

Is anyone else feeling affected by the abduction of Maddy McCann?

Old May 9th 2007, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

dwaindibley is a jewel in the roughdwaindibley is a jewel in the roughdwaindibley is a jewel in the roughdwaindibley is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Is anyone else feeling affected by the abduction of Maddy McCann?

Both I and my wife feel so much sorrow for what has happened and our thoughts are with the parents and our prayers with Maddy.

However, what they did in leaving 3 young children alone at night is child abuse, and deserves prosecution when they get home, just like they would be prosecuted if they went on holiday leaving an 8 year old home alone, or left the three children home alone here in the uk whilst they nipped to the pub.

This was a holiday apartment, I am guessing with a kitchen what would have happened if the children had decided to cook, put the kettle on, play with the knives whilst they were out, a parents duty is always to the safety and well being of your children at whatever personal cost, or don’t bother having children if you want to come first.

Feelings of sympathy can not escape the fact that these well educated parents did a stupid and selfish thing compounded by the fact that the apartment has a baby sitting service they turned down! Considering that the children were conceived through IVF for parents then to treat them this way is criminal, children are for life not until you want a bottle of wine and some private time.

Unfortunately because they have money no prosecution will take place, personally I think they should be prosecuted.

Our prayers are with Maddy, the twins and everyone who have to live with the consequences of the selfish actions of the parents.
Old May 9th 2007, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

lelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by wren
I feel very sad that people are calling for these parents to be prosecuted etc. Please show compassion for the devastation the parents must be feeling, and will have to live with forever. It is obvious that they would never have wished this to happen.

It is easier to point the finger of blame than to face the reality that there are some evil people out there waiting to prey on our children, and regardless of what "type" of parent you consider yourself to be we are ALL vulnerable.
Totally agree with you there ,how many of us who consider ourselves "good parents " could actually put there hands up and say they have never made a mistake in there lives....not many i think.
Maddies parents must be going through hell at the moment and saying they should be prosecuted is unbelievable.As was said earlier its the Monster that took her who is the criminal not her parents who i,m sure will be blaming themselves whatever the outcome for the rest of there lives!!
Old May 9th 2007, 3:47 pm

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rachel1978
We've always taken our kids everywhere with us. If its nightime they can just sleep in their pushchairs but at least we know where they are. Its not just that someone could take them, say one of them woke up and was frightened they would get themselves in a right state running around trying to find you and realising you weren't there.

Lets just hope she turns up safe and well but I have a feeling that is unlikely at this stage
absolutely mate - agree 100%
Old May 9th 2007, 3:52 pm
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

I totally agree the parents are being punished enough and should not be prosecuted, however leaving 2 year old twins and a 3 year old alone is not a 'mistake' it is downright irresponsible for many of the reasons given by dwaindibley above. Some of the 'close by' arguments are rubbish if you see the photos of the layout. If one of them had woken up, 1/2 an hour is an eternity for young children to be alone in the middle of the night, my children would be scared and frightened to wake up and find we weren't in the house, more so in a holiday apartment. I just hope that some good comes out of this and other people will think twice before doing the same.

Like others though I want nothing else than to see Maddy back with her parents and the people responsible locked up and the keys thrown away.
Old May 9th 2007, 3:52 pm
If all else fails...smile

smiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond repute

agree with all that is being said......I have a 10 and 8 year old....whilst my 10 year old might be left for 5 minutes under strict instructions of things not to do, he is also aware of my friend who is available for him. The 8 year old no way.....when we were on holiday last year, we hired someone from the hotel, to sit in our room with our two and some friends that we had made, their two, so we could go out.....no way would I leave them alone, for that length of time.....I just pray that she will be found safe and well, with no harm of come to her.
Old May 9th 2007, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Just been reading about her. There is absolutely no excuse for leaving three toddlers alone for any amount of time. Apart from the total sadness of the case, the parents have surely broken the law and deserve some sort of prosecution. They don't even have ignorance or lack of education to blame for it, they are obviously "intelligent" people.

To be honest it makes me cross rather than sad. Poor little kid

i thought it was just me who thought like this - its outrageous isnt it :curse:
Old May 9th 2007, 4:00 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I've had problems with my 6 year old girl wanting to go to toilets on her own when we are in restaurants, at Butlins, supermarkets etc.
It's caused no end of arguments when I insist on going with her.
In the end, although I didn't want to frighten her, I told her that there are bad people who might take her away.
I don't want to be a 'paranoid parent' but this kind of thing frightens the life out of me.
Old May 9th 2007, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
I've had problems with my 6 year old girl wanting to go to toilets on her own when we are in restaurants, at Butlins, supermarkets etc.
It's caused no end of arguments when I insist on going with her.
In the end, although I didn't want to frighten her, I told her that there are bad people who might take her away.
I don't want to be a 'paranoid parent' but this kind of thing frightens the life out of me.
I know I get that with my 9 year old lad, he hates having to come into toilets with me, he moans as he thinks he's too old to have to go into women's loo's - but there is no way I would allow him to go into men's loo's alone
Old May 9th 2007, 4:17 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

I sincerely hope that Maddie is found safe and well.
But as others have stated, had the parents not been doctors I feel that the press would have slated the family.
I live in a bought council house and the stigma is that had the family been from a council estate or of a lower class they would have been prosecuted.
My prayers are still with the family x
J x
Old May 9th 2007, 4:24 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

I can't stop thinking about her and her parents.
Every time I see her face on the news I get upset.
Please God let her be found safe and well.
I just thought that this was me being over-sensitive as usual.
i walked past a little blonde girl in the shopping centre today and got quite upset.

i hope and pray they find her ok.
Old May 9th 2007, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Totally agree. These are educated and supposedly responsible people. I pray that this liitle girl is found safe and sound and when she is social services need to have a word with the parents.
well educated .... maybe. common sense .... sadly lacking
Old May 9th 2007, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

jules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud of

We were on holiday when she was taken. We had all 3 kids with us and we took them out at night with us to eat. We just put the youngest in her buggy and she slept. Occaisionally the 7 yr old was just too tired and we had to go home early. Annoying - yes but thems the shakes. They are our children and they come first. Thats What you do when your a parent.

I personally wouldn't want to leave my kids in as I would want them to remember their holidays as a fun time spent as a family. Not mum and dad going out on the lash while they stayed in an apartment alone.

I wouldn't consider leaving your kids alone "a mistake":curse: . It is an act they considered and planned. Forgetting to move a knife or leaving a baby on a bed whilst changing the nappy is a "mistake".

Whilst I sincerly hope the little girl is safe I worry that the parents deserve to have her returned to them. I would hope at the very least they would have social services involved as would happen over here or are made to take parenting classes!

Jules
Old May 9th 2007, 8:32 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think all the facts are fully known so it's a bit harsh to judge.
They were in a group of people and I believe that they'd all left their kids in the apartments and were taking it in turns to check.
I know it seems unbelievable to us sitting here with the benefit of hindsight but people often do things on holiday that they would not do at home.
I read a news report that said they could see the door of the chalet. This may or may not be true but one thing is for sure - The McCanns are suffering the worst kind of agony imaginable.
I personally prefer to empathise rather than judge.
Old May 9th 2007, 9:52 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Is anyone else feeling affected by the abduction of Maddy McCann?

I read a news report that said they could see the door of the chalet.
It wasn't a chalet, it was an apartment. And no, they could not see the door.

Here's a photo of the location:

I defy anyone to see through an entire apartment block to the other side of the building, where their children are sleeping in an unattended room with direct access from the street. (X-ray vision, perhaps? That might do the trick).

At the very most, they might have been able to see main entrance on one side of the apartment block (the side which is facing the bar). But even if true, this is irrelevant - because they couldn't see the side on which their own apartment was located. So they had no possible way of knowing if their children were safe or not.

Bottom line: they left their children unattended, and paid the price.
Old May 9th 2007, 9:56 pm
Happy migrant

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Bottom line: they left their children unattended, and paid the price.
They certainly did

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.