Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else feeling affected by the abduction of Maddy McCann?

Is anyone else feeling affected by the abduction of Maddy McCann?

Old May 9th 2007, 6:06 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone else feeling affected by the abduction of Maddy McCann?

Have obviously missed something because I don't know what you're talking about Is it UK or Au news?
Old May 9th 2007, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Have obviously missed something because I don't know what you're talking about Is it UK or Au news?
It was on the aus news a few days ago. Check out the BBC website, poor wee lass was abducted 6 days ago from a holiday apartment in Portugal
Old May 9th 2007, 6:35 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Is anyone else feeling affected by the abduction of Maddy McCann?

Originally Posted by Wendy
Gill Renwick, a friend of the family, said Madeleine's parents - both doctors - had been having a meal in a tapas restaurant a few hundred yards from the apartment and had been checking on the little girl and her younger brother and sister (two-year-old twins) every half hour

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...re/6623127.stm

Whilst I really hope and pray that this little girl is found alive and well, I really think that the parents are well out of order for leaving 3 kids under 4 on their own for any amount of time. I wouldn't even dream of leaving my 7 year old unattended, not even to pop over to the shop which is directly across the street from me and would take me 5 minutes.

I'm really gobsmacked that they felt they would be OK on their own and only checked up on them every half hour.
Right on, Wendy.

If you're checking your kids "every half hour", you're obviously away for much more than an hour - and that's far too long to leave three little moppets unattended.
Old May 9th 2007, 7:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Just been reading about her. There is absolutely no excuse for leaving three toddlers alone for any amount of time. Apart from the total sadness of the case, the parents have surely broken the law and deserve some sort of prosecution. They don't even have ignorance or lack of education to blame for it, they are obviously "intelligent" people.

To be honest it makes me cross rather than sad. Poor little kid
Old May 9th 2007, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Just been reading about her. There is absolutely no excuse for leaving three toddlers alone for any amount of time. Apart from the total sadness of the case, the parents have surely broken the law and deserve some sort of prosecution. They don't even have ignorance or lack of education to blame for it, they are obviously "intelligent" people.

To be honest it makes me cross rather than sad. Poor little kid

Sad for the kid, cross at the parents what the hell?

Just reading they think she may still be alive, pretty child abducted to be sold to a new family, or slim chance she wandered off, not sure how that could be wasnt the apartment broken into. Also read people thougth the place was 'safe' why the hell do people think a place is safe cause its friggin sunny or did they leave them alone in UK too.
Bizzare, poor kid if shes alive she must be so scared.
Old May 9th 2007, 7:57 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
Some babysitting services just do the same, they pop their heads in every 30 mins or so (called baby 'listening in services').
Would you be happy leaving 3 children all aged under 4 with a 'service' that 'pops their heads in' every 30 minutes? I know I wouldn't.

I agree with MP20. The parents should be prosecuted.
Old May 9th 2007, 8:00 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
What were they thinking, leaving 3 children aged 2 and 3 on their own? I would never do it and everyone I know says the same.

I can't imagine what they are going through.
I agree, why not take them with you. We woiuld walk them up and down in their buggys and wait until they slept and then go and eat.
Old May 9th 2007, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Fenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura about

Although it is tragic what has happened, Does anyone think if these were working class parents who had nipped round the corner for a couple of pints at the local , they would have been condemned out of hand by the media by now?
Old May 9th 2007, 8:08 am
Banned

graciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant future

I dont condone leaving three very young children

I have four children and always make sure i know where the older ones go, and the younger ones I take everywhere with me.

But we do not know all the exact circumstances to really comment,all i can think is this little girl belongs to these frantic parents if anything has happened to her they have to live with it.........please dont blame them at this delicate stage, and talk about prosecusion,it could of happened to any one of us, even if our kids were with us.you only got to look away for a second if a wierdo is about they could snatch our kids...look at ben needham he was in the garden with his parents and snatched, out in greece... I am sure they have so much guilt as it is....
Old May 9th 2007, 8:09 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
I agree, why not take them with you. We woiuld walk them up and down in their buggys and wait until they slept and then go and eat.
Or get a takeaway and a bottle of wine and eat in the apartment. Having kids can be a major pain sometimes but there is no excuse for leaving them alone. It's neglect and a crime.
Old May 9th 2007, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Rachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fenton
Although it is tragic what has happened, Does anyone think if these were working class parents who had nipped round the corner for a couple of pints at the local , they would have been condemned out of hand by the media by now?

I don't think so, the media have to be sensitive to the fact that a child has gone missing, they can't just start condemning the parents when there is still no outcome. I'm sure questions will be asked when the little girl is found just the same as they would be for any family, I don't see what class has to do with it, bad parenting is bad parenting as far as I'm concerned.
Old May 9th 2007, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Would you be happy leaving 3 children all aged under 4 with a 'service' that 'pops their heads in' every 30 minutes? I know I wouldn't.

I agree with MP20. The parents should be prosecuted.
No I wouldn't, hence never having used one before, but I know plenty of parents that do. So so sad.
Old May 9th 2007, 8:44 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I have to wonder if it were a 3 year old from a socially disadvantaged family, maybe not so white British, would it be world wide news?

I also agree that those parents should be prosecuted for neglect no matter what the outcome. If she is found alive they should get down on their knees and thank some higher power. If she is not, then IMO they have themselves to blame for leaving her alone in the first place.
Old May 9th 2007, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I have to wonder if it were a 3 year old from a socially disadvantaged family, maybe not so white British, would it be world wide news?

I also agree that those parents should be prosecuted for neglect no matter what the outcome. If she is found alive they should get down on their knees and thank some higher power. If she is not, then IMO they have themselves to blame for leaving her alone in the first place.
I have to agree that it would be reported differently if it were from a family not so well off! The Sun would have a field day, poeple would be saying, yep tragic but its their fault cos they left her alone. One of my aussie mates assumed it was a 'chav' family! When I gave her all the details she was horrified!
Old May 9th 2007, 9:14 am
KAO
Forum Regular

KAO will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by fraser
Agreed entirely. I've taken my two to Spain every year since my daughter was 10 months old. They are now 2 and 3 and we're going again next month.
Every time we've gone out in the evening they have been by our side in the double stroller, usually asleep in their pj's with a blanket if needed. When they haven't been asleep they just share our food with us which they love. They're so busy being 'involved' that we never have any bad behaviour from them.

I'd never leave them alone even here at home let alone in a country where I don't speak the language and wouldn't have a clue how things work.

Still, each to their own and only the parents can justify why they did - maybe we'd feel safe too in their particular circumstances. Personally I'd still never leave them although if this ever happened to me the last thing I'd want to hear from the media is the blame that would already be echoing around my head. It'd be enough to tip me over the edge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.