Anti-Australian

Old Oct 12th 2010, 7:57 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anti-Australian

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Ditto.

I'm fine now, only cos I know I aint staying here forever.
Now who told you that?

I always thought you were a bit gullable.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

I'd also like to add to this thread that as residents of Australia you act on Australian culture whether you like it or not. Cultures adapt through the continued reinforcement of old practices or the adaptation of new practices. Actors in the culture influence the changing culture by either accepting these new or old practices or rejecting them. You can attempt to be an active agent of change but there's no guarantee that you will be either successful or unsuccessful.

Whinging POMS as we/they are sometimes known (used against us Irish too sometimes and not necessarily historically inaccurate I might add) would probably like certain aspects of Australian culture to be the same as home. Other Australians react to this by either rejecting this cultural adaptation or accepting it. Sometimes sub-cultures form where a subset of the population espouse a certain belief, value or norm.

The important thing is to live and let live. Australia will never be the UK, Ireland, Canada, India, Germany, Croatia, Greek, Italian or whatever other culture acts upon it. There maybe sub-cultures influenced by these other cultures and there may be aspects of them adapted by the general populus but the important thing is tolerance and not inflicting your own beliefs, values or norms on others. There are checks and measures in society to safeguard people rights and I think there should be the same in this forum. I appreciate that this may have been a little deep for an internet forum but it's a comment on Australian life too, probably equally applicable to other cultures.

Last edited by Steve2009; Oct 12th 2010 at 8:06 am.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Not for all - only for some - certainly not for me.
I admire your detachment but I'm not convinced that all are so ambivalent to their financial wellbeing. I've a feeling some might be more than a few.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 8:28 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Now who told you that?

I always thought you were a bit gullable.
have you been talking to my husband?
Old Oct 12th 2010, 8:38 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, if you hate everyone in the world, Australia is nice and far away from most of them.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 8:39 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
have you been talking to my husband?
Yes love.. of course we will be going home... errm on Wednesday, which Wednesday, mmmm not sure about that. Let me have a think about it, but yeah, honest, I promise, defo going back one day... soon. Honest.

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Oct 12th 2010 at 8:43 am.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 8:53 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Yes love.. of course we will be going home... errm on Wednesday, which Wednesday, mmmm not sure about that. Let me have a think about it, but yeah, honest, I promise, defo going back one day... soon. Honest.

Mmmm... Sounds about right!
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:26 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve2009
I'd also like to add to this thread that as residents of Australia you act on Australian culture whether you like it or not. Cultures adapt through the continued reinforcement of old practices or the adaptation of new practices. Actors in the culture influence the changing culture by either accepting these new or old practices or rejecting them. You can attempt to be an active agent of change but there's no guarantee that you will be either successful or unsuccessful.

Whinging POMS as we/they are sometimes known (used against us Irish too sometimes and not necessarily historically inaccurate I might add) would probably like certain aspects of Australian culture to be the same as home. Other Australians react to this by either rejecting this cultural adaptation or accepting it. Sometimes sub-cultures form where a subset of the population espouse a certain belief, value or norm.

The important thing is to live and let live. Australia will never be the UK, Ireland, Canada, India, Germany, Croatia, Greek, Italian or whatever other culture acts upon it. There maybe sub-cultures influenced by these other cultures and there may be aspects of them adapted by the general populus but the important thing is tolerance and not inflicting your own beliefs, values or norms on others. There are checks and measures in society to safeguard people rights and I think there should be the same in this forum. I appreciate that this may have been a little deep for an internet forum but it's a comment on Australian life too, probably equally applicable to other cultures.
With respect, I think you're tilting at the wrong windmill here.

Every country has different ways of doing things, different "cultures" (small "c"). You either fit in with them or you don't. I don't particularly like being called "mate" for example but it's what they do and I'm not going to bang on about that, or the price of - say, lettuce.

What *are* legitimate whinges, IMHO, are things which are wrong, antisocial or whatever in *any* country and which one notices are particularly prevalent in Australia. Things like the almost universal habit of throwing the car door open without even a cursory glance behind, tailgating and so on.

The same subjects appear time and again in threads: there must be something to the whinges!
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wol
Every country has different ways of doing things, different "cultures" (small "c"). You either fit in with them or you don't. I don't particularly like being called "mate" for example but it's what they do and I'm not going to bang on about that, or the price of - say, lettuce.
People are entitled to whinge or respectively rave about whatever they like in my opinion. I don't see why others should limit their free speech. I don't think anyone is going to change the fact that Aussies use the word 'mate', but that doesn't meant they shouldn't be allowed express their dislike for the word or choose to not use it themselves. Similarly if they choose to use that word themselves then why should anyone stop them. I'm perhaps more liberal than others but I think free speech is valued in Australian culture generally if I'm not mistaken.

While we're on the topic of aspects of culture we disagree with, I disagree with the use of the term 'un-australian' as a sledgehammer to stifle debate. It's abused in a similar fashion to the way the terms 'communist', 'terror' and 'extremist' among others are abused.

Last edited by Steve2009; Oct 12th 2010 at 9:36 am.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve2009
People are entitled to whinge or respectively rave about whatever they like in my opinion. I don't see why others should limit their free speech. I don't think anyone is going to change the fact that Aussies use the word 'mate', but that doesn't meant they shouldn't be allowed express their dislike for the word or choose to not use it themselves. Similarly if they choose to use that word themselves then why should anyone stop them. I'm perhaps more liberal than others but I think free speech is valued in Australian culture generally if I'm not mistaken.

While we're on the topic of aspects of culture we disagree with, I disagree with the use of the term 'un-australian' as a sledgehammer to stifle debate. It's abused in a similar fashion to the way the terms 'communist', 'terror' and 'extremist' among others are abused.
Absofcknlutely!
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

What *are* legitimate whinges, IMHO, are things which are wrong, antisocial or whatever in *any* country and which one notices are particularly prevalent in Australia. Things like the almost universal habit of throwing the car door open without even a cursory glance behind, tailgating and so on.

The same subjects appear time and again in threads: there must be something to the whinges!
Yes - read my post on elitism - some aspects are wet and trivial - others not so.

Manners are OK.

Actually, not liking being called mate in a country like Australia I think is a little wet...I'm surprised, Wol.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:21 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

I'm with Wol on this one, I don't particularly like the way that Aussies call everyone "mate". For me it has lost its real meaning - how can someone you've never encountered before call you "mate"and mean it genuinely? The last bloke to use it was the guy here today checking the smoke alarm - never seen him before, never will again, so on what basis can he refer to me as "mate"? I make a conscious effort now to avoid the word and to use "friend"or "pal" instead as I don"t regard "mate" as having any deep meaning anymore. I used to think it was a sign of Aussie friendliness, but now I think its just one of those words that has left its real meaning far behind, and if someone here calls me "mate" now I generally just ignore the use of the word.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'm with Wol on this one, I don't particularly like the way that Aussies call everyone "mate". For me it has lost its real meaning - how can someone you've never encountered before call you "mate"and mean it genuinely? The last bloke to use it was the guy here today checking the smoke alarm - never seen him before, never will again, so on what basis can he refer to me as "mate"? I make a conscious effort now to avoid the word and to use "friend"or "pal" instead as I don"t regard "mate" as having any deep meaning anymore. I used to think it was a sign of Aussie friendliness, but now I think its just one of those words that has left its real meaning far behind, and if someone here calls me "mate" now I generally just ignore the use of the word.
hmmm..most people know it does not mean you are claiming that someone is your bestest friend, or a friend, or less than a friend.

It is nothing other than a token nod. Just like mate in London, or 'duck' up north, or just 'Thanks' in countries that do not have an object. What is your opinon on the usage in London?
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:43 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
hmmm..most people know it does not mean you are claiming that someone is your bestest friend, or a friend, or less than a friend.

It is nothing other than a token nod. Just like mate in London, or 'duck' up north, or just 'Thanks' in countries that do not have an object. What is your opinon on the usage in London?
I don't tend to get called "mate"in London by complete strangers. If I did, I'd treat it the same, the word has been overused, in my personal opinion, and no longer has the meaning of "friendship" that it used to have.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:44 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I don't tend to get called "mate"in London by complete strangers. If I did, I'd treat it the same, the word has been overused, in my personal opinion, and no longer has the meaning of "friendship" that it used to have.
Call anybody mate in the US and they think you're gay. Buddy, dude is acceptable, but then........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.