Anti-Australian

Old Oct 11th 2010, 5:35 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anti-Australian

Why do so many people (especially on, but not confined to, BE) who could easily live somewhere else - yet live in Australia - have an anti-Australian attitude?
Old Oct 11th 2010, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anti-Australian

Give some examples.

Also, what makes you say that these people could 'easily live somewhere else'. That's one hell of an assumption.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 5:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
Give some examples.

Also, what makes you say that these people could 'easily live somewhere else'. That's one hell of an assumption.
No examples (mainly because I can't be arsed to search) but I see it all the time on here - people running Australia down yet still live here. I'll never understand that.

Many (but not all) who are unhappy in Australian could live somewhere where they would be happy.

I'm not going to get into a slagging match on this btw - again, mainly because i can't be arsed.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Ok, so to clarify.

You've created a thread asking a question, yet when I ask for examples of what you're asking about, you 'can't be arsed'?

If you 'can't be arsed', then why did you ask the question?

For the record I would say there's quite a few people who can't easily move elsewhere.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 5:58 am
Proudly Deplorable

You've created a thread asking a question, yet when I ask for examples of what you're asking about, you 'can't be arsed'?
Pretty much.

The subject is something that I have noticed on here recently and I felt like posting about it.

Let's see what happens.

Being happy is a basic fundamental of life. Live where you are happy.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Pretty much.

The subject is something that I have noticed on here recently and I felt like posting about it.

Let's see what happens.

Being happy is a basic fundamental of life. Live where you are happy.
That's a fairly simplistic way of looking at things. I'd hazard a guess that the vast majority of people would like to 'live where they're happy', but for a multitude of reasons cannot.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 6:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

I'd hazard a guess that the vast majority of people would like to 'live where they're happy', but for a multitude of reasons cannot.
I'd hazard a guess that the vast majority could yet choose not to. That's their issue but then they need to deal with that and make the best of it - not slag the country off.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

I think you have to appreciate that some of the cultural differences after moving to Oz can be a huge shock to people. British Expats, being a place for....well British Expats, should really be a place that enables people to come and 'vent' a bit.

I agree that people should try and make the best of it, but it's tricky. I myself found it very difficult when I first came to Perth, particularly with the underlying racism I found - but after over 2 years I've come to accept that's how it is here. I still don't agree with it in the slightest, but that is the culture.

When I first got to Perth I thought of BE as a little haven where I could let off steam with people who may have experienced those same frustrations as I had.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 6:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

I think you have to appreciate that some of the cultural differences after moving to Oz can be a huge shock to people. British Expats, being a place for....well British Expats, should really be a place that enables people to come and 'vent' a bit.

I agree that people should try and make the best of it, but it's tricky. I myself found it very difficult when I first came to Perth, particularly with the underlying racism I found - but after over 2 years I've come to accept that's how it is here. I still don't agree with it in the slightest, but that is the culture.

When I first got to Perth I thought of BE as a little haven where I could let off steam with people who may have experienced those same frustrations as I had.
That's all cool. I like the UK but I found a lot of aspects of life there frustrating but I got on with it. I know it was not for me longterm, so I did something about it and moved to Australia - a place where I am happy.

BTW, a white Australian slagging off a white Briton (which I assume you are) is not being a racist as they are both from the same race. He might be xenophobic and an asshole but not racist.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

No, am most certainly not referring to white Australians slagging me off. I know the difference between xenophobia and racism.

Was more referring to the kind of casual racist comments I hear on an almost daily basis from work colleagues, friends and in-law family members.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 7:09 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you have to appreciate that some of the cultural differences after moving to Oz can be a huge shock to people.
That's it in a nutshell. I hated Australia when I first arrived and if pressed on it now I couldn't give you a decent reason why. Just migrant shock and I used BE to rant about 'my lot'... despite there being nothing really wrong with 'my lot'.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 7:09 am
Proudly Deplorable

No, am most certainly not referring to white Australian's slagging me off. I know the difference between xenophobia and racism.

Was more referring to the kind of casual racist comments I hear on an almost daily basis from work colleagues, friends and in-law family members.
Are you non-white?
Old Oct 11th 2010, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Are you non-white?
No, why? I'm not talking about racism directed at me by the way.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 7:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

No, why? I'm not talking about racism directed at me by the way.
Fair enough - I thought you were.

The average Aussie is no more racist than the average Brit.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

That's a fairly simplistic way of looking at things. I'd hazard a guess that the vast majority of people would like to 'live where they're happy', but for a multitude of reasons cannot.

Good posts.

Just because people have a moan about stuff now & again doesn't necessarily mean that they are unhappy overall, just having a whinge! It's something people do to a greater or lesser degree.

I also agree that there is a fair bit of racism but I have lived in worse places for that, it just wasn't so openly spoken of!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.